Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

37 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Hear hear.

You can't make integrated graphics work, it hasn't worked for ten years now. The only way to make it work was to disable SL's lighting engine and that isn't great for the grid. If it does work at all your experience likely will not be great enough to really consider it working.

There's just no real opportunity to get anything out of these iGPUs, they cannot handle SL and it's time to be honest about it instead of luring people along. LL have not been great about this but Firestorm can probably be a bit more honest and spell it out very clearly: Second Life requires a dedicated, discrete GPU.

The very first laptop I used for SL, back in 2009, had an integrated card.  I had it before joining SL.  Four years later, when I needed a new laptop, I knew then that I would need a dedicated GPU.  

LL used to have a minimum graphs card listing on the requirements page.  They no longer do.  The least they could do without naming names is state that a dedicated card IS needed to make SL usable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How to put this delicately: I doubt the people who are here mostly for "adult activities" are really going to care how it looks.

That would explain the 15-16 year residents still.sporting the system av, free clothing (that awful leather jacket) , and no AO who have nothing but defunct sex places in their picks who message with, "want to have some fun?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Well, nice that you can run fps. Don´t mind the rest, right. Who cares....

Just showing that with a well balanced mid-range PC of 3 years old, where I update on a monthly base the drivers of the graphical card and CPU, you can have still pretty good results. Most users are forgetting that running software on a system is a combination of things that may cause issues. For example, having 16 Gig of memory with 1 stick is a no go. It's better to run 2 sticks of 8 gig in dual channel. Makes your system run more stable and gives you a better performance.

Oh, an other tip: uninstall bloatware and switch off in the task manager programs that you don't want to boot during start up may help you in wasting resources you need to run SL.

Edited by Dorientje Woller
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

am bothered that she does not spell it "L33T".  No respect.

Oh, one of those coder nerd "l33t hax0r5", no wonder you used to say undeserved complimentary stuff about PBR...

Akshually, I learned about "l33t sp33k" many years after everyone stopped using it since it was a "young people" thing at the time.  I totally missed the whole thing by maybe 10 years. I'm just too old!  

As a professional programmer, I've never considered myself a "hacker" even though the word originally had positive connotations (and once again does these days, depending on the professional circles you travel in).

So, nope!

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How to put this delicately: I doubt the people who are here mostly for "adult activities" are really going to care how it looks.

True, even Firestorm PBR delivers 25 fps with all shinies off and 32m rendering range to give the impression of fluent animation movements. On a 970 GTX. There is hope!

Edited by Vivienne Schell

30 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:
40 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I got a thrill, imaging Zal turning beet-red while she was screaming, "LEET"!

I'm not sure someone who's as Goth as Hell  would ever turn any shade with that much saturation in it.

I imagine her turning from white to a slightly darker and more ominous shade of grey, kind of like how clouds turn just before a thunderstorm?!

It probably depends on your WindLight..I mean your EEP..ARRGH your PBR settings.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Just showing that with a well balanced mid-range PC of 3 years old, where I update on a monthly base the drivers of the graphical card and CPU, you can have still pretty good results. Most users are forgetting that running software on a system is a combination of things that may cause issues. For example, having 16 Gig of memory with 1 stick is a no go. It's better to run 2 sticks of 8 gig in dual channel. Makes your system run more stable and gives you a better performance.

Open a school. Most users are stupid and need enlightment.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

LL used to have a minimum graphs card listing on the requirements page.  They no longer do.  The least they could do without naming names is state that a dedicated card IS needed to make SL usable.

That would scare the people away who log in with intergrated video, notice that they need a 3070, then go and purchase one, in order to come back to enjoy the glory of PBR cladded dance crowds and finally pay tons of money to LL cause they love it so much.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:
32 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Open a school. Most users are stupid and need enlightment.

My god ... you would be spending most of your school year in the corridor ... if I was your teacher.

There was a day, supposedly, where you'd make the bad kid sit in a corner, wearing a "Dunce Cap".

The history of the "Dunce Cap" is a whole different matter, and yes I am aware of the philosopher Duns Scotus and the history of the "Dunce Cap". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunce

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There was a day, supposedly, where you'd make the bad kid sit in a corner, wearing a "Dunce Cap".

The history of the "Dunce Cap" is a whole different matter, and yes I am aware of the philosopher Duns Scotus and the history of the "Dunce Cap". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunce

Well that was a fascinating little rabbit hole!

I particularly liked this part...

mid-16th century examples of the term dunce used to describe a follower of Duns Scotus, a person engaged in ridiculous pedantry, or a person regarded as a "fool" or "dimwit"

sounds like they'd be a great addition to the forums.  He even has a great potential avatar name already...

He was known as "Doctor Subtilis" because of the subtle distinctions and nuances of his thinking.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Well that was a fascinating little rabbit hole!

I particularly liked this part...

sounds like they'd be a great addition to the forums.  He even has a great potential avatar name already...

The part that isn't often emphasized (which I remember reading somewhere, or was taught in college) is that Duns was supposedly "highly regarded" and then later dismissed and his follower's caps copied to make fun of his philosophy.

But what "philosopher" is NOT a pedant?

I bet of lot of his "followers on here" unconsciously harken back to Duns with every "whataboutism"!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The part that isn't often emphasized (which I remember reading somewhere, or was taught in college) is that Duns was supposedly "highly regarded" and then later dismissed and his follower's caps copied to make fun of his philosophy.

But what "philosopher" is NOT a pedant?

I bet of lot of his "followers on here" unconsciously harken back to Duns with every "whataboutism"!

Yes apparently after the English Reform his associations with the Franciscans was frowned upon, essentially he got "cancelled".:S  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The least they could do without naming names is state that a dedicated card IS needed to make SL usable.

This part really threw me when I was searching for my current notebook PC.

It turns out, some notebooks have an integrated graphics card, and some have a "non-integrated" graphics card.

The one I have - NVidia RTX 3030 Ti is "dedicated", not "integrated". 

I had assumed notebook PC's all have "integrated" graphics cards!

So, before choosing it I searched a lot of info on "is it good", "is it integrated", etc.

I saw someone yesterday say (with authority), "don't get a notebook".  (Because it's not upgradeable, not because the graphics are integrated.)

So, all that confusion led me to google it AGAIN today.

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

This part really threw me when I was searching for my current notebook PC.

It turns out, some notebooks have an integrated graphics card, and some have a "non-integrated" graphics card.

The one I have - NVidia RTX 3030 Ti is "dedicated", not "integrated". 

I had assumed notebook PC's all have "integrated" graphics cards!

So, before choosing it I searched a lot of info on "is it good", "is it integrated", etc.

I saw someone yesterday say (with authority), "don't get a notebook".  (Because it's not upgradeable, not because the graphics are integrated.)

So, all that confusion led me to google it AGAIN today.

Someone also said Dell only had integrated graphics which isn't true.  Lots of misinformation flying around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:
13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did the irate person (I am being generous here) with the "4 month old Dell" ever actually provide their specifications?

Yes, he does have an integrated card.

That's sad, you'd hope anyone getting a notebook PC for Second Life in recent years would know better!

"It's only 4 months old" doesn't mean squat if you get something below the "generally accepted minimum specification".

But:

image.jpeg.11636acff873f13161cd0de63e32e025.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1