Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

40fps in Hotwife with 30+ avatars. 40 in Exhale, 40 at Love and 30+ at Muddys and Fogbound.

What are you talking about?

I am talking about like at lewst 50 people i know who have exactly the same trouble as i have. Stop gaslighting.

4 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

40 percent more power required, compared to the pre PBR viewers, is a ridiculous price for what you get.

No no no, the last 2 RTX versions of nVidia aka RTX 3000 & RTX 4000 series are known as power hogs, aka they need a nuclear plant to be powered. 

Is running the PBR version of FS for an hour now and temps of my CPU are 54°C average, peak 66.3°C. GPU are 57.2°C average with a peak of 65.8°C. Your RTX 3000 runs hotter by nature then the RTX 2000 series. Your cooling of your CPU & GPU ain't only depending on the cooler on it, but also in what for case they are placed and how easy air can be pulled/pushed out of it, due to fan placement, dustfilters and possible blockages of the incoming air by front panels of the case.

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

40fps in Hotwife with 30+ avatars. 40 in Exhale, 40 at Love and 30+ at Muddys and Fogbound.

we aren't all running the same computer though are we?. It's no good people saying well i'm getting good fps, thats great you are and it's awesome it isn't affecting your usage. But to some it isn't working as it should be and we all have a right to state we are having issues. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Just a thought but it may be time for some of those folks who jacked up their mesh LOD settings to 400% of the LL recommend default (just to pander to creators that didn't know how LODs are meant to work) to finally consider setting them back down to something more reasonable and ditching the stuff that looks crappy at a distance of more than 5 meters away in favour of content that's made properly?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

I even could run that Sansar mess. Unfortunately only high end hardware could run it fluently. The result is known. I do not wanna wake up in a virtual wasteland which excludes anyone who cannot or does not want to run a high end machine. Also, i strongöy suspect that someone who pays like 2000 and more dollars on a gamer machine expects that an app will run with acceptable fps, fluently and without toasting the machine on at least high settings. Always and reliably.

It is important to focus on what you have control over, and determine your options from there. LL obviously doesn't care about people with lower spec systems, so they aren't going to reverse their decision. The teams that develop Firestorm, Alchemy, Catznip, and most of the other popular viewers are firm in their stance that they will not keep the old rendering engine. Your options are to either use Cool VL Viewer, or to learn C++ and start developing your own viewer derived from an existing viewer base. I am willing to help anyone with either of these options.

Edited by BriannaLovey
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

No no no, the last 2 RTX versions of nVidia aka RTX 3000 & RTX 4000 series are known as power hogs, aka they need a nuclear plant to be powered. 

Is running the PBR version of FS for an hour now and temps of my CPU are 54°C average, peak 66.3°C. GPU are 57.2°C average with a peak of 65.8°C. Your RTX 3000 runs hotter by nature then the RTX 2000 series. Your cooling of your CPU & GPU ain't only depending on the cooler on it, but also in what for case they are placed and how easy air can be pulled/pushed out of it, due to fan placement, dustfilters and possible blockages of the incoming air by front panels of the case.

True, but I am talking about the 40 percent workload increase copmpared to pre-PBR viewers. That is simply by far overpriced. Also, the ROG-Strix RTX series is very well cooled.

13 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Also, i strongöy suspect that someone who pays like 2000 and more dollars on a gamer machine expects that an app will run with acceptable fps, fluently and without toasting the machine on at least high settings. Always and reliably.

Good luck! 

4 minutes ago, Vivienne Schell said:

True, but I am talking about the 40 percent workload increase copmpared to pre-PBR viewers. That is simply by far overpriced. Also, the ROG-Strix RTX series is very well cooled.

Asus ... I wouldn't touch that brand even with gloves on recently. Their costumer support and quality has dropped dramatically lately. And no matter how good the cooling is on your card ... if it's in a hot box, it will still choke.

Edited by Dorientje Woller

7 minutes ago, BriannaLovey said:

It is important to focus on what you have control over, and determine your options from there. LL obviously doesn't care about people with lower spec systems, so they aren't going to reverse their decision. The teams that develop Firestorm, Alchemy, Catznip, and most of the other popular viewers are firm in their stance that they will not keep the old rendering engine. Your options are to either use Cool VL Viewer, or to learn C++ and start developing your own viewer derived from an existing viewer base. I am willing to help anyone with either of these options.

Sure, sure, good luck for your in your shiny highest end Second Life. Btw, why didn´t you go for Sansar?

2 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Are you oblivious of tech news?

No, i only read the New York Times. Not overly interested in what tech geeks blanter about.

Edited by Vivienne Schell

29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hmm!  Yet, I could swear that I recall multiple threads where LL and viewer experts say, "no, the viewer is not multi-threaded"! I just have bad memory, and probably missed / forgot reading threads that say, "Now the viewer is multi-threaded!"

Texture decoding is multi-threaded, and non-essential stuff like media plugins are handled on a separate thread. But the main process thread is still where rendering lives.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Vivienne Schell said:

Sure, sure, good luck for your in your shiny highest end Second Life. Btw, why didn´t you go for Sansar?

You might be misreading me. I don't want this new change any more than you do. I am just trying to be realistic about our options here.

1 hour ago, Vivienne Schell said:

To make you a little bit more happy: Even people running high end machines cannot get more than 15--20  fps in a somewhat "built" or crowded place anymore. Even they must turn down the settings to a point where it makes no sense to run gamer hardware anymore.

My framerates are over 100 when I'm standing alone in my skybox. I don't really have a problem with framerates, especially when I turn off shadows and water reflections. I jellydoll other avatars with 120,000+ ARC. My own is usually under 30,000 unless I'm in wolf form. Then it's around 110,000. I like to be able to see to the edge of the region I'm in, so my draw distance is usually around 230. My LOD is set at 2.0 to 2.5. 

I've been getting alot of lag recently at Shop & Hop and other events (avatar freezing & rubberbanding). Since my framrates are over 25, I don't think the problem is my graphics settings. Some objects take a long time to rez or don't rez until I relog though. Maybe it's a slower connection at Starbucks than I'm used to getting with high speed internet from my own previous internet service?

2 minutes ago, Nagachief Darkstone said:

Texture decoding is multi-threaded, and non-essential stuff like media plugins are handled on a separate thread. But the main process thread is still where rendering lives.

Now that you popped up your head in here: isn't it too much asked to place your downloads of the Alchemy viewer on your website instead of that mess that is called discord server.

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

My framerates are over 100 when I'm standing alone in my skybox. I don't really have a problem with framerates, especially when I turn off shadows and water reflections. I jellydoll other avatars with 120,000+ ARC. My own is usually under 30,000 unless I'm in wolf form. Then it's around 110,000. I like to be able to see to the edge of the region I'm in, so my draw distance is usually around 230. My LOD is set at 2.0 to 2.5. 

I've been getting alot of lag recently at Shop & Hop and other events (avatar freezing & rubberbanding). Since my framrates are over 25, I don't think the problem is my graphics settings. Some objects take a long time to rez or don't rez until I relog though. Maybe it's a slower connection at Starbucks than I'm used to getting with high speed internet from my own previous internet service?

Rubberbanding is sim lag. The delay of textures showing up is a well known problem in all PBR viewers. Same for the very high load on the GPU. I do not think that the issues you have are result of a lack of internet speed. This might change once there will be more and more 2k textures around, but for now there are none (or maybe there are some at Shop and Hop, cause LL wanted to show off all the glory).

3 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Now that you popped up your head in here: isn't it too much asked to place your downloads of the Alchemy viewer on your website instead of that mess that is called discord server.

Downloads should be on the main website, though sometimes they're slightly behind vs the discord server due to having to update the pages manually. We're working on finding a way to automate that, but it should be our latest right now: Downloads | Alchemy Viewer

Edited by Nagachief Darkstone

I think the worst thing is i visited an empty sim, no items no avis just me and nothing else and on a normal sl viewer i get 40 fps and climbing, on a pbr viewer i get 8 fps and it sits like that without changing. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Omegaslayer said:

I think the worst thing is i visited an empty sim, no items no avis just me and nothing else and on a normal sl viewer i get 40 fps and climbing, on a pbr viewer i get 8 fps and it sits like that without changing. 

I feel your pain and I can grant you that you are not alone. Regardless what the cheer crowd and the gaslighters post here. This "update" could become a showstopper for too many people.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1