Is Lindenlab choosing a doomed path for SL ? Tell us if the EEP and PBR introduction changed the way you play SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Its laziness, plain and simple, we can argue all day but that's what it is.  Laziness and an unwillingness to even try to help themselves. I got no time for people like that. SL or otherwise.

Nothing and no one in SL is lazy for the simple fact that there is very little that is user friendly. Everything is a chore!

I shake my head at people who fail to understand or emphasize with residents who are not tech wizards or have a computer science degree. I see it as a laziness on the part of developers to not use the keep it simple approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

Nothing and no one in SL is lazy for the simple fact that there is very little that is user friendly. Everything is a chore!

I shake my head at people who fail to understand or emphasize with residents who are not tech wizards or have a computer science degree. I see it as a laziness on the part of developers to not use the keep it simple approach.

Don't get a headache from shaking too much.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Modulated said:

There is still the issue of someone from that team having to publish their REAL LIFE INFORMATION to do it, that is not something they want to do because people....especially those in SL...are a-holes.  You can't get signed anonymously, that's not how it works.

That is the reality of making software that tens of thousands of people use, unfortunately. Once a project gets big enough, there has to be some way to enforce accountability. The way it is done on Windows is completely stupid, but sadly most people aren't going to switch their operating system no matter how much we tell them.

Just now, BriannaLovey said:

That is the reality of making software that tens of thousands of people use, unfortunately. Once a project gets big enough, there has to be some way to enforce accountability. The way it is done on Windows is completely stupid, but sadly most people aren't going to switch their operating system no matter how much we tell them.

They are accountable only to LL, basically. And if they weren't FS wouldn't exist.

5 minutes ago, Modulated said:

There is still the issue of someone from that team having to publish their REAL LIFE INFORMATION to do it, that is not something they want to do because people....especially those in SL...are a-holes.  You can't get signed anonymously, that's not how it works.

Why can't a Linden do it as they develop the core code anyway and probably should keep tabs on TPV's that their versions are safe for residents.

Just now, Modulated said:

They are accountable only to LL, basically. And if they weren't FS wouldn't exist.

Every piece of software relies on its userbase in the end. I have convinced at least 15/20 people complaining in the Firestorm group about the new viewer to switch to one of 3 viewers that doesn't have Firestorm's current problems.

Why can't a Linden do it as they develop the core code anyway and probably should keep tabs on TPV's that their versions are safe for residents.

FS is a nonprofit with their own version of the viewer...LL does not make it-LL signs their viewer-they are for profit (much deeper pockets and lawyers...etc)

• Like 1

Just now, BriannaLovey said:

Every piece of software relies on its userbase in the end. I have convinced at least 15/20 people complaining in the Firestorm group about the new viewer to switch to one of 3 viewers that doesn't have Firestorm's current problems.

Fantastic.

7 minutes ago, Modulated said:

FS is a nonprofit with their own version of the viewer...LL does not make it-LL signs their viewer-they are for profit (much deeper pockets and lawyers...etc)

Considering FS does much more to support the residents then LL does, the least the Lab could do it absorb that cost then. You say after all that FS is responsible to the Lab.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
words

26 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No but FS is not giving the easiest advice to follow. Plenty of people are complaining that their Cawl or Nams is too bright on the avatar and instead of simply stating that they can turn down the exposure to get rid of it, they advice finding a different EEP setting that is more suitable except many of find CawL or Nams is the most suitable.

If it's too bright, that means it's not suitable any more, n'est-ce pas?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Considering FS does much more support the residents then LL does, the least the Lab could do it absorb that cost then. You say after all that FS is responsible to the Lab.

Write LL a nice note about that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

If it's too bright, that means it's not suitable any more, n'est-ce pas?

No, it means some developer set the exposure too high. Simple eh? There was already various complaints in the past that this was happening but the Lindens chose to ignore the Residents.....as usual.

No, it means some developer set the exposure too high. Simple eh? There was already various complaints in the past that this was happening but the Lindens chose to ignore the Residents.....as usual.

Indeed - the developer of those environment settings, because they were meant to compensate for a problem that hasn't really existed since the introduction of mesh heads.

• Like 1

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

Indeed - the developer of those environment settings, because they were meant to compensate for a problem that hasn't really existed since the introduction of mesh heads.

I disagree, Nams and Cawl still smooth out the neck seam like no other environment setting that I have seen.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Its laziness, plain and simple, we can argue all day but that's what it is.  Laziness and an unwillingness to even try to help themselves. I got no time for people like that. SL or otherwise.

It is not laziness, it is not being aware of a newly added setting. I asked at the time in the Firestorm beta group how to fix the brightness and got an answer. Beta users are generally much more technical or at least willing to put up with issues. Firestorm release support could provide that info as a first step to reducing the brightness issue, or even have set the new setting at less than 1 to mitigate the brightness jump.

• Like 1

If anyone picked up one of the PBR releases from Scarlet Creative, she included a handful of PBR EEP assets.  They're pretty good for every day use.  Much better than CawL or Nam's for the PBR viewers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Cristiano Midnight said:

It is not laziness, it is not being aware of a newly added setting. I asked at the time in the Firestorm beta group how to fix the brightness and got an answer. Beta users are generally much more technical or at least willing to put up with issues. Firestorm release support could provide that info as a first step to reducing the brightness issue, or even have set the new setting at less than 1 to mitigate the brightness jump.

Then people who don't use "inside of a ping-pong ball" settings will have things too dark without knowing why. It is kind of interesting that it seems like half the complaints to Firestorm say, "It's too bright" and the other half say "it's too dark."

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

No but FS is not giving the easiest advice to follow. Plenty of people are complaining that their Cawl or Nams is too bright on the avatar and instead of simply stating that they can turn down the exposure to get rid of it, they advice finding a different EEP setting that is more suitable except many of find CawL or Nams is the most suitable. So people get frustrated with having to read long wiki's and go through a pile of different EEP's to find something comparable when the easiest solution is to just turn exposure down.

This has been said here before, by others as well as myself, but this is NOT a good solution because it reduces the light in ALL EEPs. One of the issues with PBR is that it ups contrast: brights are brighter, and darkness is darker. All this does is ensure that darker EEPs are impenetrably gloomy.

31 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Arielle is not wrong. Exposure is the simplest fix for the overbright shell shock. I had it when I first started testing. A slight adjustment to it kept the EEPs I use from being too bright. It is a new setting so pointing it out in favor of finding new EEPs in a good idea.

/me looks crossly at Cris.

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Then people who don't use "inside of a ping-pong ball" settings will have things too dark without knowing why. It is kind of interesting that it seems like half the complaints to Firestorm say, "It's too bright" and the other half say "it's too dark."

So maybe pointing out the Exposure slider rather then a different EEP for every environment would be the easier way?

21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Programmers are not exactly known for their UX skills. I handle usability as part of my work as a developer so I am more focused on it than most. There is a fine balance between functional and usable. That said, non tech users find spectacular ways to break things that I never would have thought of. I marvel at it sometimes. Programmers find ways of over complicating stuff just because they don’t think as an end user.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

It's not for you...but a great many that scream for help are, they just can't be bothered. Neither can I when they act like that.

• Like 1

Just now, Modulated said:

It's not for you...but a great many that scream for help are, they just can't be bothered. Neither can I when they act like that.

The people who are unable to RTFM are many of the same people who are psychologically vulnerable enough to spend all their disposable income on virtual stuff from SL. Keep that in mind.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 91 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.