Community Roundtable May 20, 2024

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm already in a habbit of messaging friends I've made on SL on discord, even when they're online on SL.

And usually it's simply because the chat works better. I can send funny pictures and gifs, files.. Share stuff from my phone to discord... they can play that one youtube video back right there in the chat... Group chats actually work how you'd expect them to... etc.

SL has never handled the basics of communication well. Discord excels in it…hell it has taken 21 years to get emoji support in SL. A lot of bigger groups moved to Discord because sl is so unreliable for communication. At this point I am not sure the issues can be fixed.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Yeah, that's a good point. I'm already in a habbit of messaging friends I've made on SL on discord, even when they're online on SL.

And usually it's simply because the chat works better. I can send funny pictures and gifs, files.. Share stuff from my phone to discord... they can play that one youtube video back right there in the chat... Group chats actually work how you'd expect them to... etc.

Chat and IM in SL still can't even us emojis. Since the last time I was in SL I have forgotten almost all the emoticons. I guess some people must use ASCII characters, though, because I do see some things close to emojis in SL now.

completely wrong apparently...best way to learn something is to say something stupid I guess lol

Edited by CaerolleClaudel
I was totally WRONG!!

2 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Chat and IM in SL still can't even us emojis. Since the last time I was in SL I have forgotten almost all the emoticons. I guess some people must use ASCII characters, though, because I do see some things close to emojis in SL now.

We do have emoji now !! That was made for LL and freely contributed by @Kitty Barnett Will end up in every viewer sooner or later depending on release cycles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

SL has never handled the basics of communication well. Discord excels in it…hell it has taken 21 years to get emoji support in SL. A lot of bigger groups moved to Discord because sl is so unreliable for communication. At this point I am not sure the issues can be fixed.

How do you use emojis in SL? Adding them from the pop-up menu I get with 'Windows key + period' doesn't seem to work?

And ugh I just made the comment that you still cannot use them

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

We do have emoji now !! That was made for LL and freely contributed by @Kitty Barnett Will end up in every viewer sooner or later depending on release cycles.

How do you access those?

Sorry, I know idiot questions are way OT in this thread, but since you know how I may as well ask...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

It is not hyperbole.

Yes it is.

The SL client has always mimicked 3d design software to its peril

More BS, SL viewers are nothing like 3DS Max, Lightwave, Blender, Maya, Cinema 4D, Hexagon, Vue, Truespace, Amapi, or any other 3D modelling app I've ever seen.

Nothing.

They bolted stuff onto it but at its heart it is still a 3d design tool.

More hyperbolic factually inaccurate BS.

Third party clients have smoothed over some of it, but it is still far too complex for the average user

Speak for your self, I never had any problem with it.

o a new user starting out, figuring out all of this ***** is hard.

Again, speak for your self, I never had any problem with it.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

I personally prefer Telegram to discord, but .. everyone I know is now on discord. All my SL friends past and present. SL brands. SL viewers. SL support and creative spaces. SL shopping and events ..

Just now, CaerolleClaudel said:

How do you access those?

Sorry, I know idiot questions are way OT in this thread, but since you know how I may as well ask...

The functionality might not be in your viewer of choice yet.

Firestorms current release is a little old now as the big PBR changes from LL  were a bit " we'll fix it in post " and that has held everything back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yes it is.

More BS, SL viewers are nothing like 3DS Max, Lightwave, Blender, Maya, Cinema 4D, Hexagon, Vue, Truespace, Amapi, or any other 3D modelling app I've ever seen.

Nothing.

More hyperbolic factually inaccurate BS.

Speak for your self, I never had any problem with it.

Again, speak for your self, I never had any problem with it.

Blah blah  blah as usual with your posts. I am speaking for users I personally know that have had issues with it. Go back to editing your ***** in Skyrim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

How do you access those?

They were rolled out into the SL viewer and in the beta of Firestorm, but not the released Firestorm yet. It will be interesting to see the gesturbators in full rainbow colors.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Well I mean there are two routes there right.

This should be funny... Prey... Continue...

34 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

1. Improve whichever paths sucks like combat or w/e (which ll already have momentum on with combat 2.0, gamepad support etc)

No amount if tinkering with how prim cube projectiles talk to lsl scripts in SL, will EVER make it any kind of competition for ANY actual combat game. EVER.

Go check videos on youtube of combat games, especially multi player combat games, like for example War Thunder.

40 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

2. Change how/where SL is advertised. (Is LL actively advertising secondlife anywhere at all?)

Now you are getting with the program.

41 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

If you had to choose which which paths were first shown to a user at a pick their own SL adventure, where would the paths lead/why?

Not to the combat sims, or dries of SL, or the airports. SL's main market is people want to shop, look nice, and chat with others. Some folks might not like that, but it's the reality.

• Like 1

I personally prefer Telegram to discord, but .. everyone I know is now on discord. All my SL friends past and present. SL brands. SL viewers. SL support and creative spaces. SL shopping and events ..

The functionality might not be in your viewer of choice yet.

Firestorms current release is a little old now as the big PBR changes from LL  were a bit " we'll fix it in post " and that has held everything back.

I see Discord seems to be used a lot in SL now, I was going to start a thread asking about it. I don't know if people set up servers in Discord for their Friends, or for Groups, or all of that, or what. I just opened FS to look for an emoji option, and I did find a Discord menu option. However, when I click Connect in the pop-up nothing happens. I suppose I have to install the actual Discord app on my computer (I only use apps on my desktop if I am forced to, otherwise use a browser to go to the website, including for Discord).

Perhaps the whole Discord option and use is discussion somewhere, but wow, yet another thing to just hear about and have to research.

I use FS, so yeah, maybe just not there yet. I have tried the official LL viewer, but wow, I find that thing seriously frustrating and limited. Probably I am just ignorant of this feature in the official viewer, but one thing I love about FS is not having to use an AO HUD, the whole AO system is built right into the viewer.

37 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

Well I mean there are two routes there right.

1. Improve whichever paths sucks like combat or w/e (which ll already have momentum on with combat 2.0, gamepad support etc)

2. Change how/where SL is advertised. (Is LL actively advertising secondlife anywhere at all?)

Either way, point is for every problem you present there's probably a solution. It's a case of picking your poison, and doing it in a way that is likely to get the political willpower to get done.

If you had to choose which which paths were first shown to a user at a pick their own SL adventure, where would the paths lead/why?

Oberwolf, himself, says that Second Life was built for adults, so most likely it will be targeted towards 18+ that want to be in a world where you can have imagination, freedom of expression, ways to express yourself. I think Second life will advertise itself towards mainly adults.

It would, probably, be parents who don't know how to read and see second life and let their child play.

But even if that was the case, now those accidental kids joining won't see anything and some people around them will probably chase them out, let's be honest.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

They were rolled out into the SL viewer and in the beta of Firestorm, but not the released Firestorm yet. It will be interesting to see the gesturbators in full rainbow colors.

Thx! :)

13 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

How do you use emojis in SL? Adding them from the pop-up menu I get with 'Windows key + period' doesn't seem to work?

And ugh I just made the comment that you still cannot use them

I have not tested the windows key shortcut. There is an emoji button on chat boxes now with an emoji picker, and it can do the :name: style shortcuts. It also will save frequently used emoji for quick access.

• Like 2

Just now, Cristiano Midnight said:

I have not tested the windows key shortcut. There is an emoji button on chat boxes now with an emoji picker, and it can do the :name: style shortcuts. It also will save frequently used emoji for quick access.

Thx! I think it is just that I am using FS and it is not there yet.

Again, I wonder how people know this stuff? By staying deep into the Forum? Or something else? How do new people to SL find any of this out? Though I guess with the emojis, I guess it is obvious IF you have the right viewer.

• Like 1

Thx! :)

It's on any beta viewers that follow the current version of Official Viewer, so if for example: 

Catsnip have a beta, will most likely be on that

Alchemy Beta Viewer has the emoji as well.

• Like 1

Just now, CaerolleClaudel said:

Thx! I think it is just that I am using FS and it is not there yet.

Again, I wonder how people know this stuff? By staying deep into the Forum? Or something else? How do new people to SL find any of this out? Though I guess with the emojis, I guess it is obvious IF you have the right viewer.

Oh the emoji button, in the betta, is just there on the chat bar in the chat window. Plus the viewer creators tell you, while they role out updates for people to test.

20 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

So, perhaps @Zalificent Corvinus is correct and most people come into SL already understanding many of the concepts. I guess I have known people in SL who gamed, but I have never really known anyone who seemed to be a serious gamer though, so I dunno. I had the idea that most people who came into SL were mostly new to MMO games (though I see SL as not a game lol).

No, one thing realized after some time is that there are in SL, some highly intelligent people with a great aptitude for anything digital but are as dumb as a rock in realizing that the majority of us struggle with some or a lot of it. I have maybe a little above average but know that there are others who can understand it much quicker then I as well as recognizing that many struggle more then I. Not solely because of IQ but an aptitude which is hard to measure. 

The ones who have the most problem recognizing differences in aptitude are the Lab management and employees themselves. Very little that comes from them is user friendly. It's not you, it's them that are the problem!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Starberry Passion said:

It's on any beta viewers that follow the current version of Official Viewer, so if for example: 

Alchemy Beta Viewer has the emoji as well.

I never use beta versions, though, and I wonder how many new people to SL would? I wonder if they even know about any 3rd party viewers, though I guess if the current default version of the official viewer had the emojis, they wouldn't need to know about 3rd party viewers to have that feature.

6 minutes ago, Cristiano Midnight said:

Blah blah  blah as usual with your posts. I am speaking for users I personally know that have had issues with it. Go back to editing your ***** in Skyrim.

Blah blah blah as usual with your posts. I am speaking  for the people I know who are apparently smarter than the people you know. Go back to your Clueless Captain Oldbie fans on your own forum.

You've spouted a bucket load of factually inaccurate claims about the viewers being "3D modelling app lookalikes" and blathering about "simplification" despite being in SL long enough to personally remember how much of a worthless fustercluck that was last time LL were daft enough to listen to ideas like yours.

21 years in SL, and you still talk like a 2 week noob.

• Sad 1

I see Discord seems to be used a lot in SL now, I was going to start a thread asking about it. I don't know if people set up servers in Discord for their Friends, or for Groups, or all of that, or what. I just opened FS to look for an emoji option, and I did find a Discord menu option. However, when I click Connect in the pop-up nothing happens. I suppose I have to install the actual Discord app on my computer (I only use apps on my desktop if I am forced to, otherwise use a browser to go to the website, including for Discord).

Perhaps the whole Discord option and use is discussion somewhere, but wow, yet another thing to just hear about and have to research.

I use FS, so yeah, maybe just not there yet. I have tried the official LL viewer, but wow, I find that thing seriously frustrating and limited. Probably I am just ignorant of this feature in the official viewer, but one thing I love about FS is not having to use an AO HUD, the whole AO system is built right into the viewer.

Discord can be used via a downloaded app or via the website. 

You can either join established servers (for stores, events, in-world groups, etc.) or start your own for friends.

It's got more use outside of SL as well. It's pretty much a central hub for all online gaming due to its screen sharing, gifs/custom emojis/stickers, bots for moderation (or utilities or games or music), stage features (for events and discussions and performances), and voice chat capabilities - both one on one and large group. Some RL companies also use it as a central hub for customer service and whatnot.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Starberry Passion said:

It's not !

We gave it to LL before we put it in our own. Time has been limited and RL work has to come first, we don't make any money from making a viewer or RLVa.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I never use beta versions, though, and I wonder how many new people to SL would? I wonder if they even know about any 3rd party viewers, though I guess if the current default version of the official viewer had the emojis, they wouldn't need to know about 3rd party viewers to have that feature.

If they are using S.L mobile, they wouldn't need to learn about 3rd Party viewers and Beta Version of the apps. They don't tell people about them is because they don't want the whole grid to use them, since it is for testing and giving feed back so that normal residents can use it.

Beta viewer users test for bugs and glitches and issues that they find wrong so normal users won't have to deal with the bulk.

If they start playing P.C., I'm pretty sure most will likely tell that person to use Firestorm Viewer, like they did with me when I was new.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Discord can be used via a downloaded app or via the website. 

You can either join established servers (for stores, events, in-world groups, etc.) or start your own for friends.

It's got more use outside of SL as well. It's pretty much a central hub for all online gaming due to its screen sharing, gifs/custom emojis/stickers, bots for moderation (or utilities or games or music), stage features (for events and discussions and performances), and voice chat capabilities - both one on one and large group. Some RL companies also use it as a central hub for customer service and whatnot.

Thx! For some reason my browser has stopped interacting with SL, and I hate to even get into figuring *that* out, but that is likely the problem (selecting something on a SL map in the browser no longer will send me a TP in SL).

• Like 1

It's not !

We gave it to LL before we put it in our own. Time has been limited and RL work has to come first, we don't make any money from making a viewer or RLVa.

You make RLVa??? Thx for your work!!

And I guess once I get to use it, thx for your work on the emojis, too! ;)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.