Should we limit Second Life to one IP address per household and prohibit the use of VPNs and alternate accounts?

"Should we limit Second Life to one IP address per household and prohibit the use of VPNs and alternate accounts? I think we should, because there are a lot of bad people using it. Alternate accounts are annoying as they can be used for harassing others and hiding one's true identity. Additionally, there are fake accounts on here like London City using alts to boost traffic numbers, which are not accurate anyway. Lastly, there are bad people using VPNs to invade the platform. Therefore, we should implement a one IP per household, one account policy to improve the safety and authenticity of the platform. What do you all think?"

• Haha 10
  • Confused 4

6 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

"Should we limit Second Life to one IP address per household and prohibit the use of VPNs and alternate accounts? I think we should, because there are a lot of bad people using it. Alternate accounts are annoying as they can be used for harassing others and hiding one's true identity. Additionally, there are fake accounts on here like London City using alts to boost traffic numbers, which are not accurate anyway. Lastly, there are bad people using VPNs to invade the platform. Therefore, we should implement a one IP per household, one account policy to improve the safety and authenticity of the platform. What do you all think?"

No.

• Like 12

26 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

Should we limit Second Life to one IP address per household

No, because then only one person "per household" (how would they know?!?) could use Second Life, limiting users. For example, if you had a housemate/roommate/kid who also used Second Life, they couldn't.  It would also impact users that like to switch PC's.

27 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

and prohibit the use of VPNs

No, most everyone uses VPN's now. They serve a useful purpose.

28 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

and alternate accounts

No. Using "alt accounts" is perfectly valid.  A large number of SL users have multiple accounts.

28 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

think we should, because there are a lot of bad people using it

This is not a good reason.

29 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

Alternate accounts are annoying as they can be used for harassing others and hiding one's true identity.

So, and? This has always been true, but "alt accounts" are also used for perfectly valid reasons.  

34 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

Additionally, there are fake accounts on here like London City using alts to boost traffic numbers, which are not accurate anyway.

Again, so? This has always been the case.

35 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

Lastly, there are bad people using VPNs to invade the platform.

Most everybody uses VPN's now.  Even if you don't, your ISP does not give you a "true" unique IP address that is visible to the outside world..and you probably get a different IP address every time you login.

36 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

Therefore, we should implement a one IP per household, one account policy to improve the safety and authenticity of the platform. What do you all think?

No. See above.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mr2Chill said:

also not quoting anybody i came up with this on my own

You put "quotes" around your original post.  It made it appear that you were quoting someone.  Adding quotes to your own post is not necessary and confused at least 2 of us.  Just so you know! 🙂

• Like 2

I just want the accurate amount of people that come on this game and the bad people using VPN and hiding themselves and and just one per household you know if they have a roommate then you know still they still can get on here and this is not accurate you know and just And if you don't like somebody like your name you hide them from somebody pay to change their name and Yeah so if you have kids on this game Or roommates that's true but London City has 60 people there and then you go to below the main area and there's only five or 10 people there talking it's just not legit it's not real it's it just it's just you know if you want people you know on this game that's in your household and you have to fill out a form say to this people there I think and it just you know this game gets too many alts and too many people that if they want to serviced on pay put a classified out change your name if you're hiding from somebody do mpc's I know somebody that does it you could make it NPC and do the thing and just you know if having sex with yourself on an old pay somebody or find somebody promote this game don't make all to so bad

• Haha 3
  • Confused 5

13 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

if u want to hide from someone then pay to change ur name that is all 

That won't hide you from someone who already knows who you are.  It's easy enough to find someone's UUID if they were ever on your friend list.  Your UUID doesn't change when you change your name.

A lot of people have alts which are premium members as well.  They use them for tier allowance purposes.  If you removed the ability to have alts, you'd see SL closing pretty quickly.

There are far more GOOD reasons to have alts than bad ones.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You put "quotes" around your original post.  It made it appear that you were quoting someone.  Adding quotes to your own post is not necessary and confused at least 2 of us.  Just so you know! 🙂

I wasn't confused by the quotes, but quotes mean you're quoting someone. Normally, people don't quote themself.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I wasn't confused by the quotes

Yep! I meant at least Wulfie and I were "confused" because we asked about the quotes.  Sorry, didn't mean any of us were actually confused. 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

I just want the accurate amount of people that come on this game and the bad people using VPN and hiding themselves and and just one per household you know if they have a roommate then you know still they still can get on here and this is not accurate you know and just And if you don't like somebody like your name you hide them from somebody pay to change their name and Yeah so if you have kids on this game Or roommates that's true but London City has 60 people there and then you go to below the main area and there's only five or 10 people there talking it's just not legit it's not real it's it just it's just you know if you want people you know on this game that's in your household and you have to fill out a form say to this people there I think and it just you know this game gets too many alts and too many people that if they want to serviced on pay put a classified out change your name if you're hiding from somebody do mpc's I know somebody that does it you could make it NPC and do the thing and just you know if having sex with yourself on an old pay somebody or find somebody promote this game don't make all to so bad

Cool. 

Weird idea. And why would I even care about what's happening at London City?

Alts are entirely valid. Content creators use them to test scripts, animations, poses, furniture, etc. Photographers use them as models. Regular users use them to keep roleplay personas or inventories separate for whatever reason. People who work in SL might use them to separate business accounts from personal.

VPNs - whatever, no opinion.

Traffic - not concerned. Most places I go have 0 people there. I kind of like that, since I mostly go to stores to shop or somewhere scenic to take photos. If you are looking for people, event and social groups are a great place to start.

Anyway, alts are a staple in almost every online game/platform. Not sure why it matters so much here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Not sure why it matters so much here.

I think they answered some of the "why" here:

12 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

Maybe we need to explain traffic-gaming and how it is commonly used, how it has always been in SL, and how that is not related to alts, etc.?

23 minutes ago, Mr2Chill said:

First you use punctuation you didn't need. Then you use no punctuation. Periods are used in western languages to show where a sentence ends. A capitol letter shows the beginning of a sentence, a proper name, or a title. Paragraph breaks are also useful if you want people to read your post, without feeling overwhelmed by a wall of text.

Your proposal would end most of the accounts people use to access SL. Maybe you don't care if multiple people in a household (or at the same college or coffee shop) can each have a unique account, but they are required to do so per the Second Life Terms of Service. People are allowed to have multiple accounts too. People using the same internet service in the same area, can also have the same IP address. Your personal dislike of people using alternate accounts, is not a problem that Linden Lab needs to solve.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
Typo
  • Thanks 4

Here's another point: If the "hidden" users (that make up the majority of the # users shown) are marked as "Scripted Agents" - then there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Possibly understanding the various Second Life "Rules" and Terms of Service would help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think they answered some of the "why" here:

Doesn't really answer much. I don't think accurate numbers exist for any online platform. You can find estimates, but devs almost never provide accurate real-time stats for platform usage, and they're certainly never telling players how many alts are in circulation. I don't see why SL should be any different.

As to traffic and all that - still unsure as to why that matters to the OP. If it's simply landing in a sim and finding fewer people than stated, okay fine but...that's probably the least effective way to socialize (plus, lots of sims are indeed populated - sounds like he's just chosen one that isn't).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Doesn't really answer much. I don't think accurate numbers exist for any online platform. You can find estimates, but devs almost never provide accurate real-time stats for platform usage, and they're certainly never telling players how many alts are in circulation. I don't see why SL should be any different.

As to traffic and all that - still unsure as to why that matters to the OP. If it's simply landing in a sim and finding fewer people than stated, okay fine but...that's probably the least effective way to socialize (plus, lots of sims are indeed populated - sounds like he's just chosen one that isn't).

I assume they were surprised to see that traffic numbers are inflated (by traffic bots apparently, in the example for London) and just want to know the "real" numbers for whatever reason.  So many people go through this, but most are just a little more articulate about it (or ask in ways we can understand better).

Like: "Um, traffic numbers are often wrong, inflated to get more traffic, so get over it".  

• Like 2

I assume they were surprised to see that traffic numbers are inflated (by traffic bots apparently, in the example for London) and just want to know the "real" numbers for whatever reason.  So many people go through this, but most are just a little more articulate about it (or ask in ways we can understand better).

Like: "Um, traffic numbers are often wrong, inflated to get more traffic, so get over it".  

Who are you quoting. 😁

(Just kidding)

• Haha 2

Oh yeah, maybe.

Well OP, traffic numbers are entirely meaningless and real numbers aren't really provided. Use groups and events to help find people. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1