I decided to make my Second Life a tad bit easier. I disabled incoming IMs from "non-friends" for some of my accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Don't we all have the same power in SL?  Or did I miss a memo?

Yes if not even more so. I am agreeing with you. The one who is being propositioned has all the power and that is most often the female. It is funny in a way when there is talk about the dominant being dominant when ultimately they have to rely on the acceptance of the submissive. Who really has the ultimate power?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
21 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The one who has the power is the one who only has to say "No, thank you" and go on with what they are doing.

Don't we all have the same power in SL?  Or did I miss a memo?

Well women *should" have equal power.  But women, still, are socialized to give in to men. Many women need education and affirmation/encouragement to become their own person.  We see this dynamic reflected in SL. Not saying it's truth in your case, but it still is common for many women.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

One of my majors was Women's Studies and so I studied this extensively.  You are so wrong.

Yes I know, you've mentioned it many times. All it seems to have done is given you a greater sense of confirmation bias and unwillingness to look at counter proposals or new information and studies. 

Women however could manipulate, yes...but men had the final say and authority. That's not to say men weren't socialized and had to deal with their own problems. But let's not mistake that for the reality that men were in ultimate control.

Men have control after we spend a bit of time manipulating them to make the decision we want them to so they only think they are in control. Did you not learn that at your mothers knee?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The one who has the power is the one who only has to say "No, thank you" and go on with what they are doing.

It can be draining to have to constantly say 'no' though -- it can take the fun out of SL if other people press in on you too much. Not sure why you side with those who try to aggressively pursue what they want. There's ways to 'read the room' and test the waters without a direct challenge that another responds to with a 'no'.

It's like people who message you the instant you log into SL. Sure, I can say 'no' by not responding, but it causes me to feel irritated that they feel they have the right to my attention just because I logged on.  I don't come to SL to be irritated, and that's a normal way to feel when someone is too aggressive in their approach.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Many women need education and affirmation/encouragement to become their own person

TBH, all that tinkle hippie trance'n'mental sedimentation "anger mismanagement" claptrap about pretending they HAVE no anger until they rupture something and puke, doesn't help.

They need to say "Hell No, now sod right off" more often. And if need be, jam a taser into the knuckle-dragger's scrotum until they crap themselves.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

One of my majors was Women's Studies and so I studied this extensively.  You are so wrong.

Yes I know, you've mentioned it many times. All it seems to have done is given you a greater sense of confirmation bias and unwillingness to look at counter proposals or new information and studies. 

It seems by new information and studies to you mean Arielle Popstar's view of the world.

History remains History, until it became Herstory....and you've never liked that.

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yes if not even more so. I am agreeing with you. The one who is being propositioned has all the power and that is most often the female. It is funny in a way when there is talk about the dominant being dominant when ultimately they have to rely on the acceptance of the submissive. Who really has the ultimate power?

What's funny is that the oh so aggressive male IMing has no idea who is behind the female avatar.  Is he messaging another aggressive male or perhaps an aggressive female?  It's honestly kind of silly to equate what happens in RL situations to SL situations.  It's actually a great place for women to empower themselves by not putting up with it.   Ignore, block and move on with your SL with no repercussions.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Just to tip this fact that only men are aggressive, I am highly aggressive in real life AND I am a woman.  The women I work with and those I know in SL are no shrinking violets, either.  I don't think we're the exception to the rule.

The number of women I know in SL who will "take someone out" rivals that of men.

This is, of course, only my experience and who I choose to surround myself with inworld.

Same experience for me as well. 

Most women I've known in SL and out are extremely bold and often the pursuer in these situations. Sure, they'd get lots of IMs, but if they really wanted to talk to a certain person, they were already headed in their direction anyway.

I myself go back and forth with this. Sometimes more passive, sometimes the first to strike up a convo. It depends.

• Like 4

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

What's funny is that the oh so aggressive male IMing has no idea who is behind the female avatar.  Is he messaging another aggressive male

love it...

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Many women need education and affirmation/encouragement to become their own person

TBH, all that tinkle hippie trance'n'mental sedimentation "anger mismanagement" claptrap about pretending they HAVE no anger until they rupture something and puke, doesn't help.

They need to say "Hell No, now sod right off" more often. And if need be, jam a taser into the knuckle-dragger's scrotum until they crap themselves.

Well that's a type of affirmation -- affirming anger.  I believe that was a part of my Women's Studies courses.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Women's Studies

Isn't that by definition biased? Otherwise we'd call it Human Studies or something.

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But let's not mistake that for the reality that men were in ultimate control.

It's worth remembering (seriously, this time) that the "patriarchy" that you rail against really is only a small segment of men that truly benefit from it. Many in fact suffer from it as well, albeit in different ways.

Not me of course. I'm posting this from my yacht. But see, I have empathy!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Law and the courts and people in the highest positions of power, heavily skewed to favor men.

• Like 1

Law and the courts and people in the highest positions of power, heavily skewed to favor men.

Well. Unless you include things like family courts, divorce, and child custody laws.

• Haha 1

Yes maybe though not so much today, In fact when a woman has to be the defendant, she already didn't utilize her powers to determine the outcome prior to it being a legal matter.

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:
16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Women's Studies

Isn't that by definition biased? Otherwise we'd call it Human Studies or something.

We've gone over this before.  In academic settings various subjects are divided so we can delve deeply into each one. Likewise, you can even major in one and really dig deep (say you're going to be a Psychologist, a Doctor, a professor in African American studies).

Despite this, we actually did study the socialization of men and how this was a problem for them.

5 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

But let's not mistake that for the reality that men were in ultimate control.

It's worth remembering (seriously, this time) that the "patriarchy" that you rail against really is only a small segment of men that truly benefit from it. Many in fact suffer from it as well, albeit in different ways.

Not me of course. I'm posting this from my yacht. But see, I have empathy!

Sure, I agree, men have been influenced negatively from this distorted arrangement.

Still, it has been men who have had the ultimate say in this system, and I believe women have suffered more because of this.  But ultimately we need to rail against it to the advantage of both men and women.

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well women *should" have equal power.  But women, still, are socialized to give in to men. Many women need education and affirmation/encouragement to become their own person.  We see this dynamic reflected in SL. Not saying it's truth in your case, but it still is common for many women.

Really? Where do you get that? One only has to look at many sitcoms and movies to realize that culturally we expect the woman to control the situation and save the bumbling men from making dire mistakes.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yes maybe though not so much today, In fact when a woman has to be the defendant, she already didn't utilize her powers to determine the outcome prior to it being a legal matter.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

But I'm referring to the unequal representation for women in positions of power. Those with authority general skew decisions in their favor. They simply have more empathy. Objectivity in the judicial system is a myth.

4 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

tenor.gif

Yes, we did study it -- the socialization of men and how it's been detrimental to them. It even manifests in SL (have direct experience of this in many support groups here).

Haven't I always encouraged the acceptance of men being able to express feelings, to cry when in pain? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 75 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.