Hello! I need to buy a new computer for SL. I wonder if this is gaming computer will work. 
Shark gaming Shark Maelstrom R706 Gaming PC  
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X processor
1 TB SSD & 16 GB RAM
MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ventus 2X OC
ASUS PRIME A520M-K motherboard. 

It will work fine (CPU and GPU are plenty powerful enough), but you might want to verify if you can expand the RAM (are there free slots left, or are all the motherboard slots already populated, because then it would mean buying 32GB (2x16) of DDR4 instead of an additional pair of 16GB (2x8) DIMMs if/when you want to update).

16GB is really a minimum for SL, nowadays, and you would be much more at ease with 32GB of RAM (the viewer alone can easily consume up to 24GB of memory in heavy environments such as scenic sims with a gazillion of meshes and textures, or very populated places with dozens of avatars wearing complex attachments).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 1

Yep, it will work really quite well.

It has a powerful CPU, enough RAM (and this can always be upgraded to 32GB or more cheaply down the line if you need it), and a powerful enough GPU for SL and of course other games.

Should deliver good (by SL standards) frame rates in even busy scenes with pretty high settings.

Only slight thing you might want to confirm: AMD Ryzen's really like their memory to be in dual channel for best performance, this would mean your 16GB comes in 2x 8GB sticks and it's worth checking with the builder that this is the case since they often prefer to just supply 1x16GB which will work but it will not be performing at its best.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Thanks 1

OP should have no problem running SL with listed parts.
And I would say its overkill for SL, why...

I recently replaced my PC and I see little to no difference in SL, I increase my draw distance a little, sometimes, but still my FPS are not much different.
Listing old and new for comparison...
CPU, Ryzen 7 1800X (AM4)  -   Ryzen 7 7700X (AM5)
GPU, ASUS GTX 1060 3G   -   ASUS RTX 4060 8G
Memory, both 32G
Mainboard,
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F   -   ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F
Viewer sets both systems one notch below ultra.

Mostly what I do in SL is go to live concerts, I still see avatars blink in and out of sight (at around 15m distance) with the new PC like I did with my old PC. Like I said, not much difference in how SL runs on the two systems.
I don’t know what difference it makes but I run Linux Mint Cinnamon 21

1 hour ago, Teagan Tobias said:

OP should have no problem running SL with listed parts.
And I would say its overkill for SL, why...

I recently replaced my PC and I see little to no difference in SL, I increase my draw distance a little, sometimes, but still my FPS are not much different.
Listing old and new for comparison...
CPU, Ryzen 7 1800X (AM4)  -   Ryzen 7 7700X (AM5)
GPU, ASUS GTX 1060 3G   -   ASUS RTX 4060 8G
Memory, both 32G
Mainboard,
ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F   -   ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F
Viewer sets both systems one notch below ultra.

Mostly what I do in SL is go to live concerts, I still see avatars blink in and out of sight (at around 15m distance) with the new PC like I did with my old PC. Like I said, not much difference in how SL runs on the two systems.
I don’t know what difference it makes but I run Linux Mint Cinnamon 21

Hmm what you describe doesn't sound quite right, what viewer are you using? could you paste the output of the "About" help menu window? it gives details about hardware and settings.

A 4060 should deliver performance between an RTX 3060 and 3060Ti which I have found to be very good SL GPU's and of course having a lot of extra VRAM should mean you encounter far less texture thrashing than with a 3GB 1060.

The CPU is also a lot more powerful and SL does scale in response to CPU/GPU power, not very well compared to other games but it does scale and you should be seeing a significant boost in frame rates and generally less rendering issues with your new computer.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Thanks 1

Kokua Release RLV 6.6.16.55167 (64bit)
Release Notes

Second Life Server 2024-02-21.7995320426
Release Notes

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core Processor (3000 MHz)
Memory: 31213 MB
OS Version: Linux 5.15.0-101-generic #111-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 5 20:16:58 UTC 2024 x86_64
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 525.147.05

Window size: 1920x1052
Font Size Adjustment: 96pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128m
Bandwidth: 1500kbit/s
LOD factor: 3
Render quality: 5
Advanced Lighting Model: Enabled
Texture memory: 1024MB
Disk cache: Max size 1638.4 MB (100.3% used)

RestrainedLove API: Disabled
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.2.1
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.15
CEF-Version: Dullahan: 1.12.2.202203281254
  CEF: 91.1.23+g04c8d56+chromium-91.0.4472.164
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.164
LibVLC Version: 2.2.3
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with GCC version 70500
Packets Lost: 0/2695 (0.0%)
April 01 2024 09:57:10
=================================
I also modify:
RenderAvatarLODFactor -- 3
RenderAvatarPhysicsLODFactor -- 2
RenderVolumeLODFactor  -- 3
MeshMaxConcurrentRequests  --  30 

3 hours ago, VenKellie said:

these days 16GB ram just wont cut it enough. im actually getting another 16GB ram stick tomorrow so i can run firestorm at 32GB. FS keeps maxing out my ram so the more the merrier

Can you list your other hardware? I've never seen Firestorm consume more than about 12GB. I have a lot more but I just don't see this high RAM usage.

2 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Release Notes

Release Notes

OS Version: Linux 5.15.0-101-generic #111-Ubuntu SMP Tue Mar 5 20:16:58 UTC 2024 x86_64

I also modify:

"Texture memory: 1024MB" there's your problem. Is this a Kokua specific issue maybe? it's not utilizing the full available VRAM of your graphics card. I have never seen the Kokua graphics prefs panel but if it's anything like older pre-PBR Firestorm you could adjust the texture memory allocation settings.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I changed the texture memory to 4096, that’s as high as it will go and going to a busy region its looking better.

Then I noticed there is an update to Kokua and I down loaded and updated. One of the problems is the texture memory settings have disappeared from the viewer, I can’t move, most of my surroundings are missing, there are blank squares of nothing, its... ugly as. I waited to see if it stabilized, nothing, then logged off and then logged back on, same thing, I’ve never seen anything like this. Logged off and back on to give it another go, still can’t move and still can’t see many things.

I’ve used Kokua since before it was Kokua and have never had a problem like this.

I’m going back to the older version of the viewer for now, I may be looking for a new viewer, I can’t do anything like this.

I’ve gone back to the older version of Kokua and Second Life is back, I can move and everything is there and the texture memory is set to 4096. I QUIT FOR NOW!!
Thanks for you help Amelia.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I changed the texture memory to 4096, that’s as high as it will go and going to a busy region its looking better.

Then I noticed there is an update to Kokua and I down loaded and updated. One of the problems is the texture memory settings have disappeared from the viewer, I can’t move, most of my surroundings are missing, there are blank squares of nothing, its... ugly as. I waited to see if it stabilized, nothing, then logged off and then logged back on, same thing, I’ve never seen anything like this. Logged off and back on to give it another go, still can’t move and still can’t see many things.

I’ve used Kokua since before it was Kokua and have never had a problem like this.

I’m going back to the older version of the viewer for now, I may be looking for a new viewer, I can’t do anything like this.

I’ve gone back to the older version of Kokua and Second Life is back, I can move and everything is there and the texture memory is set to 4096. I QUIT FOR NOW!!

In the PBR-era codebase those settings are gone and the viewer should utilize all (or most) available texture memory automatically with no settings. I'm not sure if Kokua is using that code base yet? it sounds like it is but... maybe it is broken from what you describe.

So yeah just crank the sliders on the other version, I think the 4096MB label is a bit of a misnomer and represents a minimum or something, I can't quite remember but I think the viewer can use more if available.

11 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

Sorry for the two replies, figured you might see it if I replied to this one again. I was just looking through your settings again and noticed quite a low disk cache size, you can safely max these out these days, I think the max is around 10GB. Your 1.6GB of cache currently will probably be very frequently overwritten leading to textures appearing to re-load, really 10GB isn't big enough but that is all they allow currently.

I will stop nitpicking your settings now I promise :P

Edited by AmeliaJ08

17 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Can you list your other hardware? I've never seen Firestorm consume more than about 12GB. I have a lot more but I just don't see this high RAM usage.

It depends very much on what you are doing in SL. 

Firestorm uses about 3Gb when I'm alone in my skybox, and as much as 20Gb if I am in a busy club with 40+ avatars (and that is also with my 12Gb video memory maxed out).

(Try going to Peak nightclub, which is usually pretty busy. A quick test there right now shows Firestorm alone using 18Gb).

17 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

3.2Ghz and a nvidia 1650 SUPER with 4GB of ram that FS barely uses. Majority of fs rendering seems to be being stored on my motherboard ram then the nvidia.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filz Camino said:

It depends very much on what you are doing in SL. 

Firestorm uses about 3Gb when I'm alone in my skybox, and as much as 20Gb if I am in a busy club with 40+ avatars (and that is also with my 12Gb video memory maxed out).

(Try going to Peak nightclub, which is usually pretty busy. A quick test there right now shows Firestorm alone using 18Gb).

yea sounds about right for FS, i lag, ram maxes out and gpu and cpu heats up at clubs

right now sitting at 60% usage with fs, chrome and discord open as well as my f-secure security manager

Edited by VenKellie
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 7:27 AM, Lennox2024 said:

Hello! I need to buy a new computer for SL. I wonder if this is gaming computer will work. 
Shark gaming Shark Maelstrom R706 Gaming PC  
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X processor
1 TB SSD & 16 GB RAM
MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ventus 2X OC
ASUS PRIME A520M-K motherboard. 

get 32 GB of ram. trust me i just got another 16GB stick and sl has been fabulous
i just ran around the snowlands with draw distance of 256 meters, no lag other then firestorm freezing because it cant keep up.

22 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I will stop nitpicking your settings now I promise :P

You appear to be fixing my problems so please keep pointing out changes I can make, I’m floundering here without help.

LOL, I’m so bad at Second Life I have literally had people ask me, why are you still here. But I like SL even though I’m very poor at making it work right.

I’m going to need to take another look at the Kokua update and see if I can figure something out with that.

Thanks again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Teagan Tobias said:

You appear to be fixing my problems so please keep pointing out changes I can make, I’m floundering here without help.

LOL, I’m so bad at Second Life I have literally had people ask me, why are you still here. But I like SL even though I’m very poor at making it work right.

I’m going to need to take another look at the Kokua update and see if I can figure something out with that.

Thanks again.

The new Kokua update should work in your new PC. It implements PBR so it should take better advantage of the 4060's VRAM, as in using more of it for textures, etc.

If you want to keep VRAM usage under control with PBR, use texture compression. Some users with high end cards have reported improvements with tc turned on.

• Like 1

OK, this is a game changer, texture compression has made a world of difference. The jerky motion has stopped and things are looking better.

But, I must say, so far I am no fan of PBR, could do without that. But Kokua includes in the Environmental settings Mid-day (legacy) and that brings back SL as I know it and like it.

I have never been able to figure out the fancy lighting stuff so never use it. I imagine PBR will be the same for me.

Thanks.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 2:35 PM, VenKellie said:

3.2Ghz and a nvidia 1650 SUPER with 4GB of ram that FS barely uses. Majority of fs rendering seems to be being stored on my motherboard ram then the nvidia.

Quite odd. Can you post the Help -> About?

On 4/4/2024 at 8:52 AM, Teagan Tobias said:

OK, this is a game changer, texture compression has made a world of difference. The jerky motion has stopped and things are looking better.

But, I must say, so far I am no fan of PBR, could do without that. But Kokua includes in the Environmental settings Mid-day (legacy) and that brings back SL as I know it and like it.

I have never been able to figure out the fancy lighting stuff so never use it. I imagine PBR will be the same for me.

Thanks.

If you don't mind using a different viewer, and one that has a V1 like interface, Cool VL Viewer is currently the only SL/OS viewer that can fully shut off PBR and ALM without restarting. Just a suggestion. :)

Edited by JeromFranzic

22 hours ago, JeromFranzic said:

If you don't mind using a different viewer, and one that has a V1 like interface, Cool VL Viewer is currently the only SL/OS viewer that can fully shut off PBR and ALM without restarting. Just a suggestion. :)

Thanks, and I have that viewer installed. Have used it off and on over the years but Kokua is what I am comfortable with, I know where things are. Cool VL Viewer is nice but because I don’t use it often enough I have trouble finding things. But its a clean sharp display, and I do use it as a second viewer from time to time.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:04 PM, Teagan Tobias said:

Release Notes

Release Notes

I also modify:

Try updating to a newer kernel for that hardware, I don't know how you managed to get it installed on one so old, so I am guessing you use something like Mint Linux. You can install the upstream Ubuntu kernel, the HWE kernel or even a third party, but well trusted one, like Liquorix which I use. For newer hardware like you have , you definitely want a 6 series kernel.  You should see a major jump in performance.

• Like 1