Shop (store) ideas that won't fly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 81 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

Perfume shop. With samplers.

A roleplay character of mine once did a spin on magical potions, she put up a shelp with pretty perfume vials that you could actually take copies from and also got a notecard that described not just the scent but also the possible effect, of course, am no godmodder. Sadly, I never got any reaction out of that, maybe people were mad that only their characters could smell the scent and not them, it was fanciful olfactory creations like "Moonlight Beam", and such, after all. ;)

So, yeah, it didn't fly, not even in rp. 😂

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 7:36 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I've seriously considered making fountain pens in SL, but I've been struggling thinking of any decent implementation other than decoration.

There seems to be a trend of using them instead of engagement rings in Japanese movies, probably to do with the kanji for fountain pen (mannenhitsu) meaning "thousand year brush". The last two I remember was a series with two male leads in love with each other, and the reasoning against a ring, that they worked in the same office or company (but eventually, one colleague noticed that they had the same 🖋️, making for a nice scene (was more a light-hearted comedy than a drama, so, the pen didn't cause any harm ;)), and, what was it,... ah, right, the male lead gave one to the female lead that he only knew through the internet and one or two meetings in a coffeeshop, so couldn't find out her ring size secretly (that girl wasn't actually the one he knew online, and did a "marriage scam" on the poor guy, disappearing with all his savings and thugs got their family home... However, in the end, he got married to the actual online gal, plus was rid of his over controlling mum, and working in his dream job, while sad mom had forced him into becoming a doctor... so, again, no shade to the enabling fountain pen).

🤔Sounds all like perfectly possible SL scenarios, so, maybe, try to market them as "🖋️ are the new 💍", and they may fly 🫣

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2024 at 9:35 AM, PheebyKatz said:

My dream is to own an Edwardian-era children's fashion boutique.

I think it would see little traffic as anything other than an oddity, because most people in SL wouldn't want to dress up as children from an Edward Gorey artbook. At least these days.

gashlycrumb1.jpg?w=680&ssl=1

Perhaps if you owned it on a lemonysnickety roleplay sim, it might (have) draw(n) some interest(, when it was out as a movie, and later as Netflix series, maybe still some would like to try it), I fear not nearly as many as HP, though. On the other hand, maybe some people are looking for an alternative to the latter in the mean time.

I love that style, a fantasy sim rp kid of mine dressed like that, sim sadly doesn't exist any longer. I also dress a whiff of it irl, when possible (possibility highest in winter, lowest in summer 😅), but just very subtly, brave enough, but introvert, and wouldn't like people talk to me because of it, even if to compliment it and not to make fun of me.

___

I love this thread! (off to check if I already liked it, probably yes, but love it so much I want to be sure)

... a little later... well, I had used the laugh, not heart emoji, but that checks out!

Edited by InnerCity Elf
  • Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 1:43 PM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

That sounds like the name of one of those second hand bookshops run by somebody in half moon glasses, who wears carpet slippers, and cardigans with leather patches on the elbows, and who only opens for 1 hour a day, and hates customers wearing out the piles of old books by LOOKING at them.

Or maybe a time travel shop called Come Back Yesterday?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

A roleplay character of mine once did a spin on magical potions, she put up a shelp with pretty perfume vials that you could actually take copies from and also got a notecard that described not just the scent but also the possible effect, of course, am no godmodder. Sadly, I never got any reaction out of that, maybe people were mad that only their characters could smell the scent and not them, it was fanciful olfactory creations like "Moonlight Beam", and such, after all. ;)

So, yeah, it didn't fly, not even in rp. 😂

I made magical bath bombs that release colored particles and describe their scent in local chat. I don't think I sold any, but I still think they're cool.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 11:36 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I've seriously considered making fountain pens in SL, but I've been struggling thinking of any decent implementation other than decoration.

Actually using them in-world would be nothing like using them in real life, with all the nuances of fine to broad or calligraphic nibs, stiff, flexible, scratchy, smooth, bleeding inks, feathering, shading, shimmering, sheening, wet, dry. railroading, inky fingers...

[Edit] Inky fingers, I could do.

I bought a set of pens and notebooks in SL, but never used them. 😔 

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I made magical bath bombs that release colored particles and describe their scent in local chat. I don't think I sold any, but I still think they're cool.

Omgosh I so would buy those!

• Thanks 1

Trying a little experiment here. If it works, I'll explain at the bottom of this post.

On 3/10/2024 at 3:42 AM, InnerCity Elf said:

(Sorry for using tag, I often forget that you can't edit posts to add quotes, but have to collect and multiquote before posting, getting old is no fun...)

On 3/10/2024 at 5:42 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

I knew a lady who had a taxi service, complete with an office,

On 3/7/2024 at 11:27 AM, Bree Giffen said:

I was thinking about making a shop to support whaling.

On 3/10/2024 at 6:40 AM, Katherine Heartsong said:

All us pale freckled redheads who like sailing and the beach appreciate your effort, thanks!

On 3/10/2024 at 8:20 AM, gwynchisholm said:

A virtual proxy to an eBay store, where you buy items in L$ as a currency conversion rate equivalent to the real items listing price. When you buy it you have to send the seller a notecard with your address irl in order to have the real item shipped to you.
I guess you could do that with any real storefront, have a SL virtual store mirror it where you buy items in L$.

HAH! It worked! Note the timestamps are out of order yet the quotes are in the order I made them. How did I do that? By highlighting and hitting the little "Quote Selection" button that comes up at the end of the highlight.

image.png.d085eca8193f11eaeb340caec0e771da.png

Now for the edit test:

Nope, didn't work. 😑

image.png.0cb36bd2bff7fbdb417e17d734c35b64.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 81 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.