Mobile Update

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In case anyone missed it, there was an update on the Mobile viewer Private Alpha yesterday. (See the link below.)

At the same time, I believe that LL sent an invitation to "all Premium+ users" via email to join the Alpha testing.  I received one of those emails, and I am already part of the program!

So, after reviewing some of the updates I logged in for the first time in awhile and saw that there were indeed some improvements and new features (as in the article).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

They are that far behind? It was supposed to be out in beta 3 months ago already. Sounds like they are still not at the level Lumiya still is 😕

It's cause they had to do Senra first and BRP after and then there might have been a shopNhope or two thrown in there!! \o/

But rest assure, it will be Soon!

:P

I'm just playing, I have no idea what they are up to or were up to.. I'm just glad it's Friday and that's all the excitement I need for the moment.

251886-Bring-It-On-Life-I-m-Ready-For-Th

Two things come to mind seeing the video and the "supposedly" look of the mobile app and features presented.

1. It's going to be laggy as hell and will impact the device performance on weaker mobile devices.

2. It will absolutely eat your whole battery in no time with such graphics and dynamic interactions.

• Like 2

It was supposed to be out in beta 3 months ago already.

News to me!

9 minutes ago, Aiyumei said:

Two things come to mind seeing the video and the "supposedly" look of the mobile app and features presented.

1. It's going to be laggy as hell and will impact the device performance on weaker mobile devices.

2. It will absolutely eat your whole battery in no time with such graphics and dynamic interactions.

I didn't notice "lag" yet (on my very old phone, on a wireless connection not carrier, but the default draw distance is fairly short. (I mostly use it on my home parcel.)

I didn't notice a big battery drain on my very old iPhone yet, but it does get warm. (I don't usually stay logged in long, since I can't script or test scripts there, my main activity in SL.)

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They are that far behind? It was supposed to be out in beta 3 months ago already. Sounds like they are still not at the level Lumiya still is 😕

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

News to me!

It is what the Lindens said early last year in one of the announcements. It would be out in Beta toward the end of the year. Instead it came out as Alpha. It isn't like they had to reinvent the wheel was it?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Aiyumei said:

Assuming that Lumiya set some sort of standard for rendering SL and assuming the Labs choices would be geared to a greater efficiency then the lag and battery consumption would not be that bad. Partly going to depend on how much one uses the graphics vs texting in IM or Groups but in my years of using Lumiya I could easily get 4-5 hours of use on mobile before the battery needed recharging. Even then that was dependent on someone using it on the road vs using it on a tablet at home just for the convenience of having a smaller form factor that could easily be use taken from room to room, which is how i'd likely use it in the future. Guessing at the hardware requirements, one would probably want at least a 6 GB working ram device which most current phone offerings have and anything less should not be considered anyway even without the mobile SL viewer.

On a tablet one can easily pick up one's for less then $200 which theoretically at least do the job quite well.

https://www.amazon.ca/POWMUS-Android-Tablets-Tablette-Keyboard/dp/B0CL4C6R1T

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you insist on preaching about Lumiya, I'll assume you want to have a "viewer wars" discussion and derail the thread.

To the contrary, you are the one throwing snide remarks at Lumiya and mobile viewers in general fairly regular. Myself I use Lumiya as a reference to what I consider to be the originating standard for mobile in SL. Since it not available to be purchased any longer and is graphically no longer suitable for SL, it can't be used as an example for a current viewer war but it can used at least of what we should be able to expect considering the time and effort the Lab has put into it their version.

• Haha 1

IMO, just guessing - the fact they made the invitation "open to all Premium Plus" users MAY indicate a need for more users to test.  ETA: Or, that they feel confident enough to ask for more testers. LOL!

I need to submit a bug that I found yesterday, myself. ETA: Done.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

IMO, just guessing - the fact they made the invitation "open to all Premium Plus" users MAY indicate a need for more users to test.  ETA: Or, that they feel confident enough to ask for more testers. LOL!

I need to submit a bug that I found yesterday, myself. ETA: Done.

Have to wonder why they didn't make it available to Lumiya users considering most of us already had experience with SL on mobile and had a much clearer idea of what was needed. That plus the fact that we already had expressed both a need and willingness to actually pay for mobile shows a much greater interest then a typical Premium user. Wonder if the Lab is afraid of a group that could verbalize what was needed then those who might use it as a hobby. 

Not impressed with the Labs selection of testers.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Have to wonder why they didn't make it available to Lumiya users considering most of us already had experience with SL on mobile and had a much clearer idea of what was needed. That plus the fact that we already had expressed both a need and willingness to actually pay for mobile shows a much greater interest then a typical Premium user. Wonder if the Lab is afraid of a group that could verbalize what was needed then those who might use it as a hobby. 

Not impressed with the Labs selection of testers.

I guess it's similar to how linden labs won't give you viewer support if you're on firestorm you have to get on the second life official viewer.

The amount of people with premium plus can't be that large.  This might encourage some people to sign up to it just to try the new phone ap.  My premium plus alt is too lazy to test this.

Also, how would linden know we really did buy and use Lumiya when we purchased it through the ap store and Linden has no proof of purchase.  

• Thanks 1

I wish LL would let us in regular premium try it out. I pay 99 a year and 20 something a month on top of that and I'm fine with that but you would think that would be enough to get access to things like this. I just bought a house IRL and I wont have any Premium Plus kind of money anytime soon. A bit disappointing if only because I love SL so much.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Snow Frostypaws said:

I wish LL would let us in regular premium try it out. I pay 99 a year and 20 something a month on top of that and I'm fine with that but you would think that would be enough to get access to things like this. I just bought a house IRL and I wont have any Premium Plus kind of money anytime soon. A bit disappointing if only because I love SL so much.

Yeah, the only reason I can think that the Mobile Private Alpha was limited to Premium Plus, is to have a way to "limit" the number of applicants.

Plus, since they "pay the most" for membership, possibly LL is trying to pretend it's a "perk".  (If you were to try Mobile, you may say, "this ain't such a perk".)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, the only reason I can think that the Mobile Private Alpha was limited to Premium Plus, is to have a way to "limit" the number of applicants.

Plus, since they "pay the most" for membership, possibly LL is trying to pretend it's a "perk".  (If you were to try Mobile, you may say, "this ain't such a perk".)

One could probably assume some of those Premium Plus people are also Lumiya users.  It's not as if the specifically said NO ONE who ever used Lumiya can apply.

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think you underestimate how much I love everything LL related! x3
I also just love tech and game betas and so on, I would happily be a tester.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It is what the Lindens said early last year in one of the announcements. It would be out in Beta toward the end of the year. Instead it came out as Alpha. It isn't like they had to reinvent the wheel was it?

It is an entirely different engine, which I am sure works completely different than what they are using now.  Even the language is probably different, I think Second Life's viewers are written in C++, while I believe Unity uses C#.  From my understanding, unity uses mostly script like portions of code to handle a lot of the work, it is a strange beast I barely am familiar with but more than likely, most of the code they were working with could not simply be ported and likely had to be written entirely from scratch.

This is one of the reasons,  I think it is likely that our desktop viewer will probably at some point in the future, be migrated to the unity viewer as well.  It only makes sense, because it is probably a ton of work to have two entirely different viewers maintained at the same time.

With that said, I am not very familiar with the viewer we have now, I am mostly speculating.  I barely am familiar with unity for that matter, mostly just barely tipping my toes in it.  I would love to hear from actual developers working with the viewer, they would have a much better understanding than me.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JUSTUS Palianta said:

I guess it's similar to how linden labs won't give you viewer support if you're on firestorm you have to get on the second life official viewer.

The amount of people with premium plus can't be that large.  This might encourage some people to sign up to it just to try the new phone ap.  My premium plus alt is too lazy to test this.

Also, how would linden know we really did buy and use Lumiya when we purchased it through the ap store and Linden has no proof of purchase.  

LL will not give people support even on their own viewer, nevermind FS's. The one time I needed help for a setting buried in their viewer, I had to go to one of the meetings to track down one of their viewer dev's to ask. That is why FS viewer so popular, one can quickly and easily get help for it.

Maybe some would purchase Premium Plus for access to the alpha Mobile but when even one their biggest fan boys thinks it would be a bad deal considering its present capabilities then it is not good to present it as a feature is it?

Would not be difficult for SL to ascertain who is at present a mobile viewer user. They have records of who logs in with what.

27 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

It is an entirely different engine, which I am sure works completely different than what they are using now.  Even the language is probably different, I think Second Life's viewers are written in C++, while I believe Unity uses C#.  From my understanding, unity uses mostly script like portions of code to handle a lot of the work, it is a strange beast I barely am familiar with but more than likely, most of the code they were working with could not simply be ported and likely had to be written entirely from scratch.

This is one of the reasons,  I think it is likely that our desktop viewer will probably at some point in the future, be migrated to the unity viewer as well.  It only makes sense, because it is probably a ton of work to have two entirely different viewers maintained at the same time.

With that said, I am not very familiar with the viewer we have now, I am mostly speculating.  I barely am familiar with unity for that matter, mostly just barely tipping my toes in it.  I would love to hear from actual developers working with the viewer, they would have a much better understanding than me.

I'm not fettered with having to worry about my lack of programming ability, all I know is that LL has hired at least two mobile viewer developers in past to work specifically on their version. We'll assume LL hired programmers who knew Unity and considering its active development on the platform have lots of help out there. They only needed a viewer, not a viewer and server and viewer side they knew what protocols were needed to interface with the server. Remember that other SL like platform that wrote up the whole server code in C# in less then a year based on nothing more then the use of wireshark? How hard can it be for an experienced programmer to cook up a viewer to interface with what we assume to be documented server code and developers who are experienced with viewers written in other languages?

3 minutes ago, Snow Frostypaws said:

Crossing....Crossing..........

Oops!!!

I'm really bad at this saving money thing. 

The intrusive thoughts won lmao.

Guess I better go apply for access to mobile!

chrome_rtfxMvOlZK.png

Good luck! The signup is complicated because there is a "testing app" (which could depend on your phone), an invite via that app, then the actual app.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.