Help for shooting Machinema in SL

Malastranska

Hello all! :)

And nice to e-meet you!

I am kinda new here and of the world!

I am writing here because I am a filmmaker and I intend to record shoot something in SL. :)

The camera is kinda fine, but I'd like to have more freedom and creativity... so I am wondering if there are mods or even programmers that might be able to create a internal camera system which would allow a sort of cinematography system/look as for example in GTA V ecc. ?

Thank you in advance for all your possible help :))))

• Like 1

Learn to move the camera directly with your keyboard and mouse and not with the horrible built-in viewer mini HUD.

Keyboard and mouse can be tricky at first, but it becomes extremely instinctive and easy to master.

Rotate avatar and camera view together:

Hold left mouse button down over your avatar whilst moving the mouse left, right, up or down.

Zoom in/out:

Hold ALT down then hold left mouse button held down over your avatar whilst moving mouse up and down.

Tilt camera up/down:

Hold ALT down and then hold CTRL down too, then hold left mouse button down over your avatar whilst moving the mouse up and down.

^All these can be done without the mouse too, using the keyboard's arrow keys instead.

Also, disable the Camera Restraints (top toolbar, 'Advanced' settings) so that you can move the camera in/out/up/down without limitations.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2

Hey Sarah!! thank you for your feedback!!! It is very useful! :)

Though I'll keep up the convo looking for some "programmers" or people if they have extra mod or package solution which allow me more creativity with it :)

• Like 1

Thank you very much Chic! Very good to know! :)

Luckly i plan to shoot within friends of mine! But i didn't know about Lands! So very useful thank you!! :)

Though, since you are an Adivsor :D do you know anything much else about how the packages, objects works? 
If they can have own internal features.

Advisor tag "only" represents that I answered a lot of questions in the old forums before the new format (not really new any longer) :D. I always shot my machinima with a mouse, none of the filming helpers that they had back then.  Some folks use game controlers.   Have no clue about packages and objects in regard to filming . Sorry.  

Hopefully someone will have some answers for you.  

• Thanks 1

XBox controller works as well! :) Between Space Mouse, XBox controller, and changing up the lighting options with dofferent viewers/various viewer add ons... I think thats how most people film in Second Life. I'm not a professional, but I've found all that to be the easiest part of filming in SL. (Movement has been more challenging for me.)

Alot of people 'film' directly with their video card on their computers, but others use OBS Studio and Streamlabs too. (Jackson did a tutorial on this a few months ago if you are interested! :) )

Welcome! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TBH if it wasn't for the fact you can't pan left/right up/down with cam smoothing you can do about all the smooth fly cam work with the mouse and keyboard shortcuts using some mouse smoothing and or with the arrow keys as the keyboard shortcuts you could get away without having to use a space mouse, o-box controller or other such device. A number of years ago a guy was working on a virtual fly cam using the keyboard numbers and once i got it working was great, but when i switched computers could never get it to install again

• 4 weeks later...

I'm encouraged to read that the Space Mouse supports SL navigation - do you know if that extend to the compact Space Mouse? I have been reluctant to buy a current model - it used to be called Space Navigator but several years back it stopped working as a joystick and I could never get it to work again.