How can I add an AO to all my appearances?

Egon Rothschild

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The title says it all.

I have an AKEYO AO. I recently changed a couple of animations in it by detaching it from an appearance, dropping it on the floor, editing it, taking it back, adding it back to my appearance and SAVING that appearance. 

However ...

It has disappeared from all my other appearances. None of them have an AO!

Is there a way to add something to ALL my appearances or am I faced with add a link to each one in the OUTFIT tab?

Thanks in advance,

Egon

I'm afraid it's a game of copy and paste link in every outfit. Listen to some good music while you do it :)

We've all been there and all cursed the lack of functionality to paste a link into each subfolder of Outfits but as far as I know it doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, Egon Rothschild said:

The title says it all.

I have an AKEYO AO. I recently changed a couple of animations in it by detaching it from an appearance, dropping it on the floor, editing it, taking it back, adding it back to my appearance and SAVING that appearance. 

However ...

It has disappeared from all my other appearances. None of them have an AO!

Is there a way to add something to ALL my appearances or am I faced with add a link to each one in the OUTFIT tab?

Thanks in advance,

Egon

Did it make a new copy of the AO when you added the animations?  your outfit folders should still be linked to the old AO..

If so then it's really easy to fix.. all you have to do is replace the old links..

There is a quick and easy way to do that..

1. Go to an outfit folder  that still has the old AO linked.  Right click the old AO link and in the menu look for "Find Original".  That will take you to the old AO

2. Once you are at the Old AO. Rick click the old AO, and in that menu look for "Replace Links" .. That will open up a small window with the objects name in a slot called OLD.

3. There is an empty box in that window under the objects name called NEW.. Drag the new AO into that NEW box..Then you should see a start button..

4. Press start. That will replace the old AO links and link your new AO to all the folders that the old AO was linked to.

This all depends on if a new copy of the AO was made when you dropped it onto the ground..

Most AO's make a new copy when you rez them on the ground..

If your AO is no copy, then ya, you'll have to delete the old links and paste as link the new AO to each folder you had the old one in..

• Thanks 1

Thanks, AmeliaJ08. I was pretty much resigned to copy and paste the link into every entry in the OUTFIT folder. *sigh*

Thanks, Ceka. It's a no-copy AO so no new copy was made. I was prepared to replacing the links but was stunned to see that there were no links to the AO anymore. I'll be copy-and-paste-ing for a bit.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:47 PM, Egon Rothschild said:

Thanks, AmeliaJ08. I was pretty much resigned to copy and paste the link into every entry in the OUTFIT folder. *sigh*

Thanks, Ceka. It's a no-copy AO so no new copy was made. I was prepared to replacing the links but was stunned to see that there were no links to the AO anymore. I'll be copy-and-paste-ing for a bit.

Unfortunately, that is about the only way. I assume you will open inventory, find the AO in one of your outfit folders and copy it. Then you can paste it as a link in all the other outfit folders.

If that is too tedious... I make Add and Remove Outfits. I use these for things I may want to add or remove from whatever outfit I am wearing at the moment. I have a SciFi Eye and Hand Effects that is a collection of 11 parts. Another is Wings and Butterflies. And of course all the sex stuff. These allow me to right-click such a folder in the Outfits panel and Add to Outfit or Remove from Outfit.

You could make one with just AO and then add it to any outfit you wear that is missing the AO. Save the outfit and eventually, you'll have them all updated. It may seem less tedious than doing them all at once.

Regardless, however, you do it, it's going to be a bit of work.

A few hours late but there is a perhaps little-known function in the Firestorm inventory window that will speed things up.  (Maybe in other viewers but I don't use them.) 

If you copy an item shortcut and use CTRL-V to paste, you can paste it to multiple folders by selecting them with shift-click. There is no menu option when multiple folders are selected, only CTRL-V will work. This can be used on subfolders in Outfits.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, missyrideout said:

A few hours late but there is a perhaps little-known function in the Firestorm inventory window that will speed things up.  (Maybe in other viewers but I don't use them.) 

If you copy an item shortcut and use CTRL-V to paste, you can paste it to multiple folders by selecting them with shift-click. There is no menu option when multiple folders are selected, only CTRL-V will work. This can be used on subfolders in Outfits.

Thanks, Missy.

I tried that. Now I have AO links in all my outfits but flagged as "broken".

Edited by Egon Rothschild

13 hours ago, missyrideout said:

You're kidding me!?

Years ago I tried selecting multiple folders and noticed no paste option and figured it just couldn't do it... but ctrl-v does!?

Hours of wasted time!

Outfit folders do not contain actual clothes, shoes, hair, skin or AO's etc; they only contain shortcut links to the original component.  If you delete or edit the original component, then all of your outfit folders that contain links to that same original component will be affected.

And yes, you can copy outfit folder shortcut links from one outfit folder to another. And also, copy-pasting directing from the original component (CTRL C to copy, CTRL V to paste) to an outfit folder works too.

Speaking of outfit folders, I've been experimenting with making only one specific outfit folder that only contains the components of a "base body", with nothing else in that folder.

This "base body" outfit folder allows you to create new outfit folders that only contain clothing and accessories, which can then be added to, or detached from your "base body" outfit folder.

Doing so avoids the need to have unnecessary links to your original "base body" copied to every single new outfit folder you make and reduces your overall inventory size.

The AO could be placed in the "base body" outfit folder too, meaning that the AO is not copied to every single clothing outfit and would be much easier to replace one AO for another with just one quick edit to only your "base body" outfit folder without the fear of affecting numerous clothing outfit folders.  

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

15 hours ago, missyrideout said:

No idea, never seen that before. Maybe you deleted the original shortcut. If you follow Ceka's post above and do a replace links for the broken link you should be able to replace them at once.

As I said in my original post, all the occurrences of the AO in all my appearances just disappeared. Hence, I couldn't do a find link and replace. I just went ahead and cut and pasted a link to the AO into all my outfits.

8 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

You're kidding me!?

Years ago I tried selecting multiple folders and noticed no paste option and figured it just couldn't do it... but ctrl-v does!?

Hours of wasted time!

This doesn't actually work. I selected the OUTFIT folder and did a ctr-V. What I got were broken links the AO in all my outfits.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 98 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.