Clothing texture alinement

jennylongview Innovia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You have two issues there.  First is the matter of lining up the textures on the skirt and the top. To do that, you need to tweak the textures very carefully in Photoshop, GIMP, PaintShop Pro, or your other favorite external graphics program.  This can be a painstaking process, especially if your program does not have 3D editing capabilities.  In that case, you are stuck with making small tweaks, uploading trial versions, seeing what they look like, and repeating over and over and over and over.....

The other issue you have is that your av body moves at the joint between the skirt and the top of your av. No matter what you do, there will always be a line of some kind there and the textures will never align, except when you are standing perfectly still.  The dressmaker's standard solution is to put another design element at that exact spot ( a belt, a sash, ....) or use a texture that is either very dark or very bland in that area.  If you do that, it doesn't matter whether textures line up.  Nobody expects them to.

And that join between shirt layer and system skirt is infamously tricky. If you look at the UV maps for both, I think you'll see that the two layers are scaled differently, so it's nigh impossible to get that one perfect.

I'd either make the texture subtle in that area (or darken it as Rolig said) or make a belt to cover.

When I made SL fashion those were the thing that took me the most hours, taking care of the seams between top and bottum, at the sides of the tops, arms and legs. The one between top and bottum is the hardest... you almost have to do pixel by pixel when you do it by hand.

In the meanwhile program are developped that make life easier for the clothing designer. You can work now directly on the model for example in PS 4 and 5 exended. Or you can use a tool like Multi-Chan Hax.

For mini skirts the real solution will be mesh avatars and mesh skirts. There is no way LL's system tent.. i mean system skirt.. will ever look as good for mini skirts as mesh skirts will look. Mesh is likely to have issues where longer skirts are concerned but it will be a start.

In the meantime the solution to the awful connection between the system tent and the upper is called a prim belt. You can get only so far painting on the models. The fact the system tent floats off the avatar too far necessitates a nice fashionable wide belt.

Yeah, people get picky in SL because you often can make seams disappear much better than you can in RL.  Side seams, for example, are fairly simple to smooth over.  As most people in this thread so far have said, though, that seam between the torso and the lower body is almost impossible to hide.  That's why we design with belts or other prim attachments.  Some things are worth getting obsessive about.  This isn't one of them.

While sitting in an (RL) airport I am looking at a dress. It has vertical lines (actually, more complex than that)) and a seam around what, in SL, would be the skirt line. You have to be close to see the seam; I wouldn't notice except that I am reading this thread. The dress has a horizontal pattern about 2" wide. The vertical pattern is above and below this horizontal pattern. If the vertical pattern was not exactly aligned at the seam, no one can notice because of the horizontal pattern.

I wonder if whoever designed that dress designs clothes for SL?

Anytime I have a pattern (rather than solid) on a dress (combination of top and skirt) in SL i have either a belt or horizontal break at the top of the skirt.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.