Do land barons get a tier discount?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

You still miss the point, as long as other parcels  are selling it doesn't matter if a particular parcel NEVER sells.

One parcel using some of their free tier has no effect on their tier payment, so there is zero pressure to ever sell it.

That's an absurdity, and in fact, not how land barons behave. Let's say they got lucky and got prime land for only $1/m abandoned from the Lindens. After they have tiered, say, 4096 for one year for US $147, if they sell it for less than that, they have lost money obviously. You can't assume the other parcels somehow do better. Everywhere they are spending that tier and the land is not moving all year. At some point they break.

The prices are all kept artificially high by some land barons bidding parcels up on the auction that they have no intention of actually paying for, or even flipping them instantly at a loss -- for that same reason. I think the reason we see more parcels going off the auction for less than $1/m is because land barons are less willing to keep fronting the cash to keep that artificial system -- encouraged and likely fueled by the Lindens -- in motion. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Oh here we go again.

You said this worthless nonsense in another thread, you were wrong there, you're wrong here.

OK SIMPLE version.

You're a land baron paying US $ 16,000 a month, if you buy that $16 4096, your tier will be $16,500 a month, if you DON'T buy it, your tier will STILL be $16,500 a month. Owning that extra 4096 costs you NOTHING a month. So you can afford to sit on that 4096 for as long as you like and it results in ZERO ongoing costs., but you can sell it for a nice fat profit.

This is the point you keep missing. There is NO ongoing cost for that land.

But it DOES perform, you just don't understand why and how. The "Tres Des Res" parcel on the Bingo Straight coast, that sits empty for 12 years with NO ongoing costs, and sells for 600% of what you paid for it, produces

an average annual ROI of 50%

as opposed to your pile-it-high-sell-it-cheap-and-fast mentality which produces maybe a 5 or 10 % ROI. THAT's why land barons do this, in spite of you claiming it's "non-performant".

As for parcels at insane "never-sell" prices, they too have a purpose, it's an actual RL property investment tactic. Investors buy up reasonably priced properties, and LEAVE them empty, effectively removed from the market, to DECREASE SUPPLY AND DRIVVE UP PRICES.

It's why DeBeers stockpile hundreds of millions of dollars worth of "non performant" diamonds in their vaults. To keep prices artificially high.

With "insanely overpriced land" they remove it from the supply for normal customers, inflating overall price levels, while still having the possibility that some noob with more $ than braincells will buy it for a juicy bonus.

It's RL not-a-law-at-all-of-supply-and-demand thinking.

This actually happens in RL.

In the UK, on residential property, you only pay "property tax on the home you actually live in, not any other homes you own. Some years back, people noticed that high earners, the kind who get $200,000 as an annual bonus, were buying new apartments for $150k -$200k while the market was depressed and prices were "cheap", and sitting on them, empty and TAX FREE, waiting for an upturn, when they could sell for "HUGE PROFITS!".

This also works in SL, where instead of TAX FREE, they can have property that is TIER FREE.

The reason why we see the softening of land prices in Zindra is precisely because this system does not go on forever for people who do reach their breaking point and don't have money to burn forever on SL like Musk on Twitter. Eventually, they let it go. I have seen certain land barons, if they aren't in a race to the bottom with each other, quite often now simply take their own land off sale, or event rent, so that they don't glut their own offerings. 

They DON"T have "the other parcels" selling to keep this artificial system going. They aren't selling *either*.

They DON'T have the auction to keep snaring rubes in to pay inflated prices for parcels to keep the whole pricing system high. The rubes aren't biting.

They DON"T have "growth" that can fuel capitalism in many RL instances because sign-ups have fallen and people don't stay or cancel premiums.

They DON"T have a free-floating currency market because the State prints money and interferes, flooding the LindEx with cash to keep the price of entertainment for the masses low.

They DON"T have a truly free press and free ad market that would bring a willing buyer and a willing seller together far more often. It seems counter-intuitive in a world flooded with ugly roadside billboards and extortionist ad farm land that SL has a poor advertising system but indeed it does as anyone in the land rentals business especially knows. It is not easy to find things with the badly-working search and the poorly-managed ad systems flooding the view because the company doesn't have its own networked ad system.

And there are other factors -- telehub-adjacent land that once sold for US $2000 per region off the auction back when Lindens auctioned whole sims routinely on the auction is now worthless since the telehubs were removed and p2p put in. 

The Bellisseria 2048s and the homesteads not tethered to an island any more have also caused inflation and devalued Mainland.

There isn't "tier free" land that you imagine by the tier on land baking under the Linden sun routinely being paid off by high sales of other parcels. It's all going down. The cashout now is 247, not 242.

In a system where the government prints money AND land, you don't retain value. This ought to be clear to you. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 11/30/2023 at 9:56 AM, Paul Hexem said:

I'm looking at a parcel for sale next to mine. Ridiculous expensive. I made him an offer that's more reasonable but still really really high, and he turned me down to stick with the ridiculous six digit price.

It's never going to sell.

And we see this all the time, parcels on the mainland for sale for years with no activity. How is that sustainable if tier is being paid on it? Operating at a loss full time doesn't make sense. There's gotta be some other factor.

After 19 years of observing this scene closely, I have a theory about some of the land where ugly prim builds have remained untouched for as many years, or land seems "paid for" for years on end with the owner never logging in, or land sits for sale for years at absurd prices, like certain micro-parcels around the grid.

It seems clear to me that in earlier years, the Lindens offered free accounts to industry insiders to help promote their product. This may have been the usual tech gadget giveaway to journalists and various promoters at events and such, and giveaways to peers as often happens with start-ups in Silicon Valley.

Not the free 4096 for life given to the early adapters who were inworld building and socializing. Giveaways of 512 or 1024 to people who then left and their land still sits there seemingly "paid for".

People often theorize that there are rich or careless types who don't notice a $99 annual charge repeating among many charges. But rich people get rich by paying attention to costs like that. I think the reason we see so many of these types of parcels was that they were given away for free, but not mechanically abandoned. They have no external marking but maybe they are marked internally.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Yeah, but we're not talking about 4096, we're talking about parcels that are 8k or 16k or more. That's a huge chunk of the tier you're paying for

A huge chunk of tier they are NOT paying for...

Own 100 regions in a group, get 10 regions of TIER FREE land. That's the whole point.

You're thinking like somebody on the 4096 tier band "oh if I buy that 16k plot I will have big tier, and must sell before the month ends".

They don't think like that, their 10 regions of TIER FREE allows them to own 40 16k plots, with NO extra tier costs.

I'll say it again... The Tier Paid side of the business, breaks even, the NO TIER EVER group bonus side, has NO TIER COSTS.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

A huge chunk of tier they are NOT paying for...

Own 100 regions in a group, get 10 regions of TIER FREE land. That's the whole point.

You're thinking like somebody on the 4096 tier band "oh if I buy that 16k plot I will have big tier, and must sell before the month ends".

They don't think like that, their 10 regions of TIER FREE allows them to own 40 16k plots, with NO extra tier costs.

I'll say it again... The Tier Paid side of the business, breaks even, the NO TIER EVER group bonus side, has NO TIER COSTS.

Once again, that does NOT explain how certain barons with literally thousands of sims, with the 10% bonus giving them one free sim for every 10 (roughly), still manage to keep all that land for sale at high prices. They can't. There is a limit. We're seeing it now. Look at the prices in Zindra. There is actually abandoned land in Zindra now which didn't use to happen.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Once again, that does NOT explain how certain barons with literally thousands of sims, with the 10% bonus giving them one free sim for every 10 (roughly), still manage to keep all that land for sale at high prices. They can't. There is a limit. We're seeing it now. Look at the prices in Zindra. There is actually abandoned land in Zindra now which didn't use to happen.

Where on Zindra is there abandoned land? I don’t believe it. No one, flipper or not, ever needs to abandon land on Zindra

53 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Where on Zindra is there abandoned land? I don’t believe it. No one, flipper or not, ever needs to abandon land on Zindra

There's not much compared to everywhere else, but every Adult parcel at auction was abandoned land on Zindra at some point. (Well, abandoned or "force abandoned".)

At the moment (Saturday) there are two closing tomorrow and another one on Monday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Go and look. I have seen it with my own eyes, imagine that. I don't think I want to give you ideas where you might next try some ad farming, but thanks.

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

There's not much compared to everywhere else, but every Adult parcel at auction was abandoned land on Zindra at some point. (Well, abandoned or "force abandoned".)

At the moment (Saturday) there are two closing tomorrow and another one on Monday.

Excellent point, Comrade. There is no more new Mainland (as there was in the old days) so *every single auction plot is abandoned land*, whether let go willingly or confiscated, it is all part of the wonderful Circle of Life that is our Second Life.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Than a big baron has pulled out or changed their business plan because they needed that 10% bonus to stay afloat, I guess. 
Let's say that baron had 50 sims without the group bonus, that would mean they would pull their 5 bonus sims out of Zindra. That would make a nice chunk of abandoned parcels.

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Go and look. I have seen it with my own eyes, imagine that. I don't think I want to give you ideas where you might next try some ad farming, but thanks.

I dont buy land from LL to flip or adfarm. In fact i have never had an ad farm parcel. I engage in networked advertising,  but for some unknown reason you refuse to see the difference. Add farming is ALWAYS banned, networked advertising is allowed if all the rules are followed.

I only use 2x protected 16sqm parcels for my ads. LL wouldn’t sell me one if i didnt have property on the sim already

Really if you hate networked advertising so much, submit a jira to LL asking them to ban the practice, because ad farming is already banned

I’m sure they will quickly act on a request by such an esteemed personage as yourself.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
its early, sue me

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Than a big baron has pulled out or changed their business plan because they needed that 10% bonus to stay afloat, I guess. 
Let's say that baron had 50 sims without the group bonus, that would mean they would pull their 5 bonus sims out of Zindra. That would make a nice chunk of abandoned parcels.

why would anyone abandon five sims worth of property on Zindra? They would all sell in no time if the price was low enough.

Zindra is a sellers market, it always has been and always will be untill LL brings more adult sims online.

Wanna destroy the zindra land market?

Watch what would happen if LL ever offered adult houses on Belli

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

why would anyone abandon five sims worth of property on Zindra? They would all sell in no time if the price was low enough.

I guess, to keep the prices up. Or one has overplayed their hand and went bancrupt.

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Wanna destroy the zindra land market?

Watch what would happen if LL ever offered adult houses on Belli

There are a lot of adult sims on mainland. Lots of plots available for L$0 or L$1 as plot price.
You only have to pay rent. One can advertise it and market it just like a mainland plot, so it will be as successful or unsuccessful as it would be in Zindra.
I don't understand why so many people want to pay up those prices for Mainland.

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I guess, to keep the prices up. Or one has overplayed their hand and went bancrupt.

There are a lot of adult sims on mainland. Lots of plots available for L$0 or L$1 as plot price.
You only have to pay rent. One can advertise it and market it just like a mainland plot, so it will be as successful or unsuccessful as it would be in Zindra.
I don't understand why so many people want to pay up those prices for Mainland.

Rent is vastly inferior to buying, why rent when you have 1024 of free tier?

All the adult sims on mainland are located on Zindra, I'm not aware of any others.

There are adult estates, but they are NOT mainland

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff

1 hour ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Rent is vastly inferior to buying, why rent when you have 1024 of free tier?

All the adult sims on mainland are located on Zindra, I'm not aware of any others.

There are adult estates, but they are NOT mainland

Premium isn't really free is it?
And as you already pointed out vastly overpriced.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

No premuim isn't free... duh.

The reason that I  am premium is so that I can own mainland. At 100 dollars a year, 27 cents a day its quite reasonable.

Why would I go premium, and then rent land on an estate? That makes zero sense.

Plus I pay tier at the 8192 level, 31 dollars a month, which with my premium membership, works out to about $1.27 a day,, minus my $300 L per week stipend of course.

I buy land on Zindra, even though its more expensive,  to be free from potential AR's from losers with nothing better to do with their time than try and get others on trouble.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added words
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Apparently the new trend is to buy microparcels! If the "tier" system were abolished in favor of a L$/sqm system, we'd all just get 512's or smaller!

These microparcel geniuses are just way smarter than us.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I dont buy land from LL to flip or adfarm. In fact i have never had an ad farm parcel. I engage in networked advertising,  but for some unknown reason you refuse to see the difference. Add farming is ALWAYS banned, networked advertising is allowed if all the rules are followed.

I only use 2x protected 16sqm parcels for my ads. LL wouldn’t sell me one if i didnt have property on the sim already

Really if you hate networked advertising so much, submit a jira to LL asking them to ban the practice, because ad farming is already banned

I’m sure they will quickly act on a request by such an esteemed personage as yourself.

As I've stated many times, the Lindens need to create a state monopoly on networked advertising (PS that's not what you do), and run it properly with rules and signage that doesn't blight the view or encroach on their own road or others' properties. They need a transparent and accessible pricing system that is run in an automated fashion and reviewed to make sure it stays within the sims ratings (the Lindens anticipate this is a big staff chore so they won't do it, but in fact there aren't THAT many people who will buy advertising and they will want to stay in LL's good graces and will follow the rules).

They will outlaw all other forms of roadside "networked advertising" which is in fact actual ad farming or goes under the radar with midnight flippings and "rentals". They should also install such advertising boards (as they used to have at telehubs!) at all welcome areas and infohubs and other properties like Bellisseria community centers. This is a great source of revenue (or a Linden cash sink, depending what they need). It regulates an unregulated and wild industry that annoys everyone except the few gleefully malicious individuals who game it and which devalues both Linden and resident land considerably.

To enforce this, they will make it impossible to build on roadside land in some reasonable easement strip and also outlaw building on microparcels of X size. It can be debated whether this should be "less than 512" (I think that's what would be required) or 128 or whatever.

There is a path to the ending of the micro-parcel horror of SL, just as there was a path to the *curbing but not ending* of the ad-farming blight in SL after 4 years of land baron and resident lobbying. The path can be taken with the right combination of political will and coding.

8 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

The Lindens need to study their handiwork for more than the short window of the immediate resident ticket in front of them and notice how "my land on that sim already that is a 512 or 1024" in fact gets chopped up later, when the Lindens allow said bottom-feeders to pick up yet more micro-parcels or trade them -- something I often see happening, especially when some malicious blighter can trade next to MY land to annoy me deliberately because I regularly AR their shenanigans. The Lindens preside over this system and can end it any time they want to raise their view level up to 512 m2 inworld and 30 days on their ticket system, if not 60. They're in a position to see how all the alts attach to a main; we can only guess.

PS The Lindens should require that in order to post on the forums, you must pick only one of your accounts and can only post with that account. They could go further and allow only posting by those with PIOF, but that would unnecessarily discriminate against people from places like Russia or Turkey where it can be hard to get a credit card. They could go further, and allow posting on the forums only by the account you use to buy land on the auctions, for example, or cash out most of your Lindens from your inworld "networked advertising" business, let's say. 

13 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

You have to start with a keen awareness that anyone in the land business in SL is someone who enjoys virtual worlds for their own sake and has other fish to fry, shopping or building or romance, or they are small business people unable to get out much in RL or facing some sort of disability or somehow got hooked on the thrill of the virtual land business thinking it might eventually bring quick riches....some day.

I'll never forget what a famous land baron once IM'd me in sad desperation once in the middle of the night: "I'm addicted to land."  They can't *not* buy the newest, fastest sim or bestest Blake-iest waterfront because then they can't maintain their market share.

I have given this example before. Let's say you have $5000 to invest. You could buy Google stock; you could invest in your brother-in-law's boutique grocery store in Manhattan; you could buy lottery tickets; whatever path you like that doesn't require you to leave your couch or chip your nails or overly click your mouse.

Or you could invest in a scheme of some kind in real life (if there were such a thing) that requires you to deliver the mail to every apartment unit within a 20-block radius, to pick up garbage twice a week in a 20-block radius, and also to physically move the parked cars that failed to move from one side of the street to the other due to alternate-side-of-the-street parking rules -- you'll need a sturdy tow truck for this one.

That's what owning land in SL is like as an "investment". To be sure, some people automate it with Casper, hire third-world employees for peanuts, etc. etc. But they still have to sometimes get up off the couch and do that tow-truck work to remove prims or take care of some annoying neighbour or some pesky Linden demand. It's always something.

Would that be an efficient way to invest that $5000, something that requires you to walk through sleet and snow to deliver the mail in 60 mph winds? Once your time and effort is involved, it's less attractive.

Normal people with $50,000 to invest don't sink it into virtual real estate; they sink it into a real condo in Florida they can flip or Air BnB by phone or they put it into the money market in some safer place.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

As I've stated many times, the Lindens need to create a state monopoly on networked advertising (PS that's not what you do), and run it properly with rules and signage that doesn't blight the view or encroach on their own road or others' properties. They need a transparent and accessible pricing system that is run in an automated fashion and reviewed to make sure it stays within the sims ratings (the Lindens anticipate this is a big staff chore so they won't do it, but in fact there aren't THAT many people who will buy advertising and they will want to stay in LL's good graces and will follow the rules).

They will outlaw all other forms of roadside "networked advertising" which is in fact actual ad farming or goes under the radar with midnight flippings and "rentals". They should also install such advertising boards (as they used to have at telehubs!) at all welcome areas and infohubs and other properties like Bellisseria community centers. This is a great source of revenue (or a Linden cash sink, depending what they need). It regulates an unregulated and wild industry that annoys everyone except the few gleefully malicious individuals who game it and which devalues both Linden and resident land considerably.

To enforce this, they will make it impossible to build on roadside land in some reasonable easement strip and also outlaw building on microparcels of X size. It can be debated whether this should be "less than 512" (I think that's what would be required) or 128 or whatever.

There is a path to the ending of the micro-parcel horror of SL, just as there was a path to the *curbing but not ending* of the ad-farming blight in SL after 4 years of land baron and resident lobbying. The path can be taken with the right combination of political will and coding.

Ad Farming is putting up something to blight the neighborhood forcing people to pay high prices to restore their view. Ad farming is ALWAYS illegal

What is an ad farm?

For the purposes of this document, "ad farm" means advertising or content intended solely to drive an unreasonable price for the land parcel it is on, usually by spoiling the nearby visual environment for others. Advertisements themselves are not prohibited; Legitimate advertising or using small parcels for promoting events or stores is allowed. But when advertising crosses the line into harassing behavior or "visual spam," and the intent is purely to compel another Resident to pay an unreasonable price to restore their view, it violates the harassment policy in the Community Standards. Although difficult to define exactly when advertising crosses this line, the intent is to be as consistent as possible and Linden Lab will remove offending content that is reported.

When you encounter an ad farm, please file an abuse report as you would for any other violation of the Terms of Service or Community Standards

Networked advertising is permitted as long as all the rules are followed.

Advertising rules and restrictions

No one wants to be subjected to unwanted advertising — whether in the real or virtual world. Be considerate of your neighbors and avoid "ad farms."

If you operate a networked advertising business on the mainland that breaks any one of the following rules or restrictions, we will consider it to be a Terms of Service violation leading to disciplinary action that can include account suspension and loss of land.

No more than fifty (50) locations containing advertising on the mainland may be owned and/or operated by any single individual or organization, whether through a personal account or a group account, unless you have obtained written permission from Linden Lab to exceed this limit.

No more than one advertisement is permitted by any single individual or organization (whether through a personal account or a group account) in any single region.

You should consider an "advertisement," as we’re using the term here, to be the common understanding of that term, including any content that explicitly promotes any space, good or service (whether in Second Life or elsewhere).

In addition, advertisements must comply with these requirements:

They must be grounded to the terrain, not floating.

They must extend no higher than 8 m from the ground.

They must contain no rotating or flashing content and no particles.

They must not dispense unsolicited IMs, note cards, landmarks or content.

They must emit no light sources or glow (full bright is acceptable).

Advertising hoardings must be Phantom.

Ad content must be clearly General in nature.

Ads must not contain sound or temp-on-rez content.

Ad content may not be political in nature.

Ban lines should be switched off.

All advertisers must make a reasonable attempt to fit in with the local area and to respect the wishes of Residents living nearby wherever possible. Linden Lab can and will, at its sole discretion, ask you to remove or modify unacceptable advertising-related content. If you use alternate accounts, groups or other methods to attempt to create a networked advertising business that extends over 50 placements without express permission from Linden Lab, you will be asked to remove them.

Finally, if a review your land transactions shows that your primary purpose in placing the advertising content is to force the sale of land rather than genuinely advertise, this will be deemed to be a violation and dealt with accordingly.

If you find one of my networked ads, feel free to AR it.

Wait, never mind, I don't have any right now

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
fixed stuff

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'll have you know I have just constructed a perfectly respectable build on a 16 sq m parcel. Why shouldn't I be allowed to build on micro parcels if i have the creativity  to do so?

Not all of us needs a 4096

toobierezz07.png

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I'll have you know I have just constructed a perfectly respectable build on a 16 sq m parcel. Why shouldn't I be allowed to build on micro parcels if i have the creativity  to do so?

Not all of us needs a 4096

toobierezz07.png

Of course now I suppose Prokofy will demand that LL ban the sharing of prims between parcels belonging to the same individual or group 😂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.