Land Sales Crash

Diablo Lioncourt

15 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

You'd be surprised, there's certainly a demand for them even at that price. We had 6 bidders on the port station that went to the auctions recently, and it sold for a little over 40,000 L$. I was willing to pay more if I had to. It's definitely not for everyone, more of a niche interest type of thing. But I personally really like those port stations and I know some other people who do as well.

There used to be more of them available for sale for that same price range, and I watched some of them being sold or rented in the last few months. It's important to make a distinction between the back and the front sides of the Port of Kama City though. The view is significantly better in the front portion of it, because you see the river and the abandoned, protected mall in Mosh South as well as the cool bridges that are present on both sides of the building. Hence why every single port station that faces the river is taken. The back portion of the port is not worth 50,000 L$+ in my opinion. The view is nothing special, just a bunch of buildings.

At the end of the day, the port stations are just small 400m parcels with a very high price per square meter, and not enough prims to build anything significant. 100% not everyone's cup of tea and I understand why that's the case.

I guess I'm just cheep, or don't see the value of paying hundreds of dollars for a sl plot.

But, to each his own right? 😁

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I guess I'm just cheep, or don't see the value of paying hundreds of dollars for a sl plot.

It's not being cheap, it's being conscious about the way your money is spent. It's the smart thing to do, and I definitely agree with you that paying so much for a parcel is not worth it. People might still do it occasionally, though.

Just decided to give myself an early Christmas gift when I saw something I'd wanted for ages popping up at the auctions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Clem Marques said:

It's not being cheap, it's being conscious about the way your money is spent. It's the smart thing to do, and I definitely agree with you that paying so much for a parcel is not worth it. People might still do it occasionally, though.

Just decided to give myself an early Christmas gift when I saw something I'd wanted for ages popping up at the auctions.

honestly theres nothing i cant do on the parcel i paid 5000 L for that i can do on a parcel i pay 100,000 L for

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I used to have a place in Yedboro ( the sim west of Mosh) but i got out because some noob help center (a 512) usually had the sim full of avatars. That's why i got it so cheep. I managed to resell it and get most of my money back.

I see Mosh station has 5 parcels for sale ranging from 50 K to 72.5 K.

Who would every pay that much?

I have some apartments in Yeboro. Rentals do well there. If more stuff near the water there opened up at the right p[rice I'd buy it.

None of those little booths in Mosh that one person has up have sold. They've all been on the market for well over a year. That person has a lot of parcels in areas where I have land that just sit.

Edited by Diablo Lioncourt
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

The 400m Mosh parcel is 2x protected and is located inside the Port of Kama City, a special building made by Linden Labs. It functions as a monorail station and has a rez zone in the river right in front of it (Mosh South). It also has connections to the road on both ends of the building. By owning one of those port stations, you are able to build within that huge modern glass building. It has some historic value for those who care about it. Another perk is that the port's building does not have any impact on the prim count of the parcel. Those factors make it special.

The other parcel in Mosh is 544m and has a strange shape, but it is 1x protected by the road.

I'm the one who bought the parcels. I willingly overpaid for them due to the fact that I had my eyes on that 400m port station in particular for years now. I own a port station right next to it and was pleasantly surprised when it was suddenly abandoned. The 544m was purchased for that amount of L$ solely because I needed extra prims for a project and land in the Mosh region is very rarely available to purchase.

In short, both of the Mosh parcels that sold for high bids at the auctions were a one-off event and do not accurately represent any uptick in land sales.

Snapshot_004.thumb.png.68591d161700266473eb18e177c04f40.png

Location: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mosh/129/25/26

Well, that's something! I never went out and looked at Kama City although I vaguely recall people talking about it. Yes, it's an aberration and doesn't reflect anything about the general Mainland land market, a story which is better told by all those parcels with NO bids, bids under $1, or bids that lead to land flipping and serious, blighty land-cutting and ad farming. 

Like the many children we poor Catholic folks have had historically -- two to work on the farm, two to die in infancy, two to give to the priesteens, two to keep Mama company in her old age and visit Pops in prison -- land cutting is a sign of poverty and distress, not wealth.

Yes, land inside a Linden build like that which I find interesting and aesthetic, even if made of prims, would indeed be valuable for nostalgic if not for actual reasons.

I find people still charging -- and not getting -- fantastic sums in Brown, a very old Linden-maintained sim that preceded Linden Homes and Bellisseria, even though it is in G, has ugly dead palm trees on it from the library and junky old Linden and oldbie builds -- such is the power of the incantation "Linden protected".

I'm so old some land dealers put in their ads "protected" for being next to MY land LOL. Not for long.

But congratulations on that win of land you had your eye on, I know what that's like, and what matters most is your own valuation. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

No, I said a lot OF THOSE I SELL. Comprehension gap between information you have and what you get from it has already been observed. You seem to just need to shame yourself.

It's always best when people self-discredit, eh? This thread delivers!

I totally grasp the restrictive clause -- we had good English lessons where I come from back in the day. But that's just the point. What you sell is not representative of all the developments across the vast Mainland by any stretch. I can go find you two abandoned 1024s next to each other, and find them with the names of clubs -- one of the most frequently failing ventures in SL. 

What's in the view tells us all we need to know about a land dealer, despite their blustering : )

Kama City is kinda like Brown or Boardman, but built later and better.  And you can have a sex bed in your bedroom... or in your front yard, and your house can be a club!

Most regions of Kama don't allow subdividing or merging parcels, or terraforming. Most parcels are protected on at least one side. The rules about Moderate land of huge supply and little demand have never applied to Kama or Horizons. In general, prices in these regions have actually gone up over the years overall. 

I probably have more apartments in the Kama City cluster of sims than I do in all other regions combined. I personally like Nautilius City more, but its moderate, and most of my tenants that have a rating preference prefer "adult".

• Like 1

Kama kind of reflects the evolution of cities in SL. When the Lindens opened up Atoll, it was the 1st new continent added. They didn't know the "gold rush" for new land would result in a hobo encampment around Magellan's crash site, or that a city would form around the tracks. For most of its life Calleta was so laggy and chaotic it was virtually unlivable.

By the time they built ZIndra, just 6 or so years later, they knew to expect the area where people landed in the continent to become a city... so they put it on an island, surrounded by water, with designated "single prim" zones in the core and "double prim" zones on the outskirts along the waterways. They made most land unchangable as far as cutting and terraforming. Most regions were given a substantial amount of protected land - there's waters, trails/greenways, monorails, and streets.

This design mitigates texture lag, and makes it harder to overload the server with scripts too. That, combined with it still getting lots of visitors, makes it a better place for clubs/hangouts/shops than virtually anywhere else in Zindra.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I find people still charging -- and not getting -- fantastic sums in Brown, a very old Linden-maintained sim that preceded Linden Homes and Bellisseria, even though it is in G, has ugly dead palm trees on it from the library and junky old Linden and oldbie builds -- such is the power of the incantation "Linden protected".

Some of the parcels that are currently being sold in Brown for very high prices were bought for much cheaper in the auctions earlier this year. Less than half of what they're being sold for at the moment. The sim is very old, as you said, and any modern mesh building there would stick out like a sore thumb, which is a problem for whoever buys it. Another problem the buyer faces are the strict zoning rules that must be followed to live there, restricting the appearance of buildings. Though, of course, some might see that as a perk.

Boardman is the better version of Brown, and it also has some land for sale there for high prices. They haven't sold in several months. Those two regions have their charm, and some people might really like them if they have an interest in SL history, but the very old buildings and zoning rules paired with a G rating are hard to deal with. Even more expensive than the controversial port stations - and not worth it in my opinion.

I'd definitely be surprised if anyone bought those parcels for the current asking price. But if they do... well, I hope they enjoy it. I certainly can't judge

7 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I'm so old some land dealers put in their ads "protected" for being next to MY land LOL. Not for long.

But congratulations on that win of land you had your eye on, I know what that's like, and what matters most is your own valuation. 

LOL

And thanks.

Edited by Clem Marques

6 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

Kama kind of reflects the evolution of cities in SL. When the Lindens opened up Atoll, it was the 1st new continent added. They didn't know the "gold rush" for new land would result in a hobo encampment around Magellan's crash site, or that a city would form around the tracks. For most of its life Calleta was so laggy and chaotic it was virtually unlivable.

By the time they built ZIndra, just 6 or so years later, they knew to expect the area where people landed in the continent to become a city... so they put it on an island, surrounded by water, with designated "single prim" zones in the core and "double prim" zones on the outskirts along the waterways. They made most land unchangable as far as cutting and terraforming. Most regions were given a substantial amount of protected land - there's waters, trails/greenways, monorails, and streets.

This design mitigates texture lag, and makes it harder to overload the server with scripts too. That, combined with it still getting lots of visitors, makes it a better place for clubs/hangouts/shops than virtually anywhere else in Zindra.

This is a good overview of some of the factors that make Kama City special. I personally really enjoy that part of Zindra, and wonder how the continent would have looked if they had not rushed things to match the extremely high demand for adult land. Maybe the city would've been bigger, or maybe we'd have more streets.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clem Marques said:

Some of the parcels that are currently being sold in Brown for very high prices were bought for much cheaper in the auctions earlier this year. Less than half of what they're being sold for at the moment. The sim is very old, as you said, and any modern mesh building there would stick out like a sore thumb, which is a problem for whoever buys it. Another problem the buyer faces are the strict zoning rules that must be followed to live there, restricting the appearance of buildings. Though, of course, some might see that as a perk.

Boardman is the better version of Brown, and it also has some land for sale there for high prices. They haven't sold in several months. Those two regions have their charm, and some people might really like them if they have an interest in SL history, but the very old buildings and zoning rules paired with a G rating are hard to deal with. Even more expensive than the controversial port stations - and not worth it in my opinion.

I'd definitely be surprised if anyone bought those parcels for the current asking price. But if they do... well, I hope they enjoy it. I certainly can't judge

LOL

And thanks.

The Lindens used to bother with Boardman (which is the better sim because the Boardman Preservation Society had the top builders of that era and they did some nice things with that sim -- a few of the buildings survive) and Brown (which has more of the ugly dead palm trees we couldn't get Jack Linden to fully remove). Yes, they used to physically appear and enforce things like "no skyboxes because it's G".

But now they don't. My God, who has the time. They have Bellisseria to police now, where the green dots are.

So skybox all you like. However, if you have enemies, they will seize the opportunity to AR you. You also can't terraform there, not that you need to -- except on those really funky external lots abutting the next sim with a bad job on the seque-way.

You can put out a mesh house, but basically, it's a weird sim with some really ancient stuff on it like Ryan Linden's FLW knock-off.

In fact, those people you see holding the land there did NOT get it for "cheap" -- I've watched Brown for ages. But they got it for less than Blake, and they've been holding literally for years thinking someone will bite. Then rarely they get someone who is nostalgic and they make a sale. I have done that, at far less than what they are charging, but still more than regular Mainland.

There really isn't a reason to move there, to buy or rent, versus Bellisseria which has much better mesh houses, although some of the items in the packs are strange odd sculpties, and much better landscaping. It just doesn't make sense to spend more than $13.05 a month (in NYS at least) if you want flat suburban tree-lined streets, you can get them in Belli. To spend US $150 or more to buy a plot there is nuts when you could annualize a premium and have a much prettier set-up. I'm all for SL nostalgia. But you can pick better nostalgia, truly.

I think Sharp continent is much more wild and free and pretty if you don't mind G.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

It's simply not true that Calletta -- the hobo encampment -- was formed around Magellan's Crash site. Go and look. I have been there for nearly 20 years now.

Magellan's Crash is on Columbia, not Calleta. It's a small site by Linden standards and the Moles can't be bothered to put a BBB stamp there in the stamp game, although I put one on our UFO there.

And there has never been any hoboes at all in Columbia on my properties or the ones owned previouisly next door, which for many years was a huge furry sandbox.

Originally we had the space theme in keeping with the Magellan crash sim. Gradually, since space is very niche as a rentals, it turned to just ordinary houses on 512s and 1024s mixed in with skyboxes. I can't recall a single tent or hobo-like thing there in all this time -- because the hobos are further down the tracks in Calleta.

Calleta was never laggy. I also had other land adjacent to it and never, ever experienced lag from their primmy and sculpty builds. it was a cool place, it had a good long run, the people were very creative, and now pretty much I think they are gone -- occasionally the hobo-in-chief drops in and talks to me at my other sims and he now goes to another open sandbox if he's on, not there.

It's simply not true that Zindra land is "unchangeable". Again, you must not have ever gone there or owned it. You must mean *Horizons* which indeed they made unterraformable and unable to be parceled smaller or joined -- like a kind of Bellisseria early variant. They put space houses on it originally, but you could return them -- and virtually everyone did because they were ugly and primmy and PS did I mention, space is very, very niche in SL. It's for full-sim end user's RP, occasionally some cheap exotic rentals, it's not a thing. Do I know it!

It's also not true that Zindra got "substantial protected land". Yes, there are some roadways and railways that by contrast with all those later continents like Jaegeot that have zero infrastructure and vast tracks of no water bodies inland seems like an easement paradise. But Zindra also has entire sims of chopped up uglies. Fly around and look.

The Lindens originally offered a trade: take your adult venue in M that they wanted you to remove from the view, and get the exact straight equivalent in Zindra. So some of us got Zindra early with that but I personally got rid of most of it because I really didn't like the strange black vinyl type textures on the roads and the bridges, and it did not rent in fact as people might imagine -- originally it was mainly clubs. Only gradually did it develop an end-user residential population over the years -- and PS this situation is artificially maintained by the lead land baron monopolist who buys and holds, jacks up bids on the auction, and keeps prices overly high. Sl is oligarchy. Were a few of these types to disappear from the scene, and the areas get a lot of diversified small holdings, the society would be better and prices would normalize and value would be added.

The Lindens did not mitigate lag in Zindra -- it is a fast sink hole of adult furniture and if you fly around with a XOPH sensor your radar will go off the charts. The script time is abysmal and the lag terrible in places, which is one reason I don't do rentals there except for a few small cabin areas. As for Horizons, I think some of the top stores in that continent wouldn't be up in the sky if the lag was so absent on the ground.

Zindra enabled the Lindens to tell the brands that they had the adult content that the brands didn't want to be next to (Twitter, anyone?) well out of the view -- adult was not findable if you set your search without "AL' and also literally out of sight and out of mind. Philip also had this idea that everything really objectionable, whether boring university classes or Gorean empires, would be on private sims. He thought the Mainland would be like "a nation of shopkeepers" under St. Jane Jacobs. I actually shared his idealism.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In fact, those people you see holding the land there did NOT get it for "cheap" -- I've watched Brown for ages. But they got it for less than Blake, and they've been holding literally for years thinking someone will bite. Then rarely they get someone who is nostalgic and they make a sale. I have done that, at far less than what they are charging, but still more than regular Mainland.

Brown and Boardman parcels have both shown up in the auctions this year. Two Brown parcels and one Boardman parcel to be exact. I did not say they got the Brown parcels for "cheap", because that is not the case. I said they got it for a price that is significantly cheaper than what they are trying to charge now. Half, to be exact. I know this for a fact because I participated in one Brown parcel auction in June and was outbid at the last second.

Other than the two parcels that were auctioned off this year, there are other parcels in Brown that have been left there for several years without anyone buying them. So you are right about those. And yes, definitely way less L$ than Blake.

31 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

There really isn't a reason to move there, to buy or rent, versus Bellisseria which has much better mesh houses, although some of the items in the packs are strange odd sculpties, and much better landscaping. It just doesn't make sense to spend more than $13.05 a month (in NYS at least) if you want flat suburban tree-lined streets, you can get them in Belli. To spend US $150 or more to buy a plot there is nuts when you could annualize a premium and have a much prettier set-up. I'm all for SL nostalgia. But you can pick better nostalgia, truly.

Very good point. I agree.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Clem Marques said:

Brown and Boardman parcels have both shown up in the auctions this year. Two Brown parcels and one Boardman parcel to be exact. I did not say they got the Brown parcels for "cheap", because that is not the case. I said they got it for a price that is significantly cheaper than what they are trying to charge now. Half, to be exact. I know this for a fact because I participated in one Brown parcel auction in June and was outbid at the last second.

Other than the two parcels that were auctioned off this year, there are other parcels in Brown that have been left there for several years without anyone buying them. So you are right about those. And yes, definitely way less L$ than Blake.

Very good point. I agree.

Well I would say in fact NOT so significantly less. And some of them eyed a certain monopolist who actually brought his prices DOWN and actually sold one long lot there for a not-bad price I think more than a year ago in the depths of the pandemic, and then JACKED UP their prices fairly recently. 

If such parcels got on the auction, that means someone abandoned them, which really puzzles me then, because anyone could very quickly sell those lots for a good price. To be sure I recall once -- just once! -- an abandoned plot there by someone who may have died, and I asked the Lindens for it, and got it.

So it's possible there was a situation where one of those truly ancient oldbies with the 4096-for-life -- who would leave parcels there for decades and never log in -- finally went to Our Father's house which has "many mansions"....

Could it be that the Lindens actually cut into their park land and auctioned it? They do that now. But I recently combed Brown looking for small parcels I might in fact get for prims and found nothing. People put those sheds in the "marketplace" at ridiculous prices although that has no traffic, is not a marketplace, has a few odd little art displays or ancient vendors, and is not worth what is being charged.

But prices in SL don't always make sense or follow even the logic of virtuality.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

Most regions of Kama don't allow subdividing or merging parcels, or terraforming.

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's simply not true that Zindra land is "unchangeable".

I was unsure regarding the details of this, so I visited all of the Kama City regions and made a map:

image_2023-12-06_075752752-transformed44455.thumb.png.0cc244d99a419eb09424ecbd6b12c68e.png

Mosh South, Ortiz and Gilda are protected land.

Regions that do not allow terraforming, joining parcels or subdividing parcels (RED)

• Broadwater, Osbourne Walk, Baern, Strute, Vallone, Charlesville, Schelton, Donathan, Hoodran, Kama Center, Bronlen, Rhodenwald, Wendersley, Yedboro, Mosh, Coralia, Baylors Haunt, Fengarg High, Conroy, Calintreau, Morgarsen, Keraxic, Van Tessa, Jonesford Heights, Gianno (total: 25 regions)

Regions that do not allow terraforming, but allow joining parcels and subdividing parcels (PURPLE)

• Osbourne Beach, Kuradov, Fenfarg (total: 3 regions)

Regions that allow terraforming, joining parcels and subdividing parcels (YELLOW)

• Behling, Mostly Beatrice, Corchalo, Eichorn Cove, Predrow (total: 5 regions)
Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clem Marques said:

This is a good overview of some of the factors that make Kama City special. I personally really enjoy that part of Zindra, and wonder how the continent would have looked if they had not rushed things to match the extremely high demand for adult land. Maybe the city would've been bigger, or maybe we'd have more streets.

I love living in Kama City, of all the places I live/lived Kama City is the best.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

By the time they built ZIndra, just 6 or so years later, they knew to expect the area where people landed in the continent to become a city... so they put it on an island, surrounded by water, […]

That part at the end that I bolded made me bring up a map of Zindra and try to figure out if there's a part of Kama City that's an island "where people landed" (not that I could find), or if Kama City itself could somehow be an island (nope), so I'm baffled.

Possibly tangentially related,  at one time early-on, "where people landed" in Kama City was that Port of Kama City waterfront monorail mall full of 400m² shop stalls, which at the time was an InfoHub. I remember it well because for a few years I owned the two 1024s to the north of the central clocktower, and used to meet a trickle of fresh off the boat newbies arriving there.

FWIW, I always liked the Port build, but not so much a fan of how the mall turned out to be more about flipping the little stalls than using them as shops. It could have been an Adult content showcase, but there was never more than a scant handful of stores, always outnumbered by vacant stalls priced for sale to the greater fool, so no hope of reaching critical mass for retail shopping. (Of course back then traffic drove search, and search drove sales pre-Marketplace, so those individual low-traffic stalls were doomed by design.)

(A further tangent, maybe largely forgotten: the region now named "Mosh South" was originally "Zindra". This drove some landowners quite crazy, and the empty, never quite completed mall there was one result.)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

(A further tangent, maybe largely forgotten: the region now named "Mosh South" was originally "Zindra". This drove some landowners quite crazy, and the empty, never quite completed mall there was one result.)

This left me curious. What drove them crazy? The name change?

1 minute ago, Clem Marques said:

This left me curious. What drove them crazy? The name change?

Envy, basically. They thought that everybody looking for Adult content in SL would have heard about Zindra (the continent), search for it on the map, and land on that region instead of stores and venues elsewhere on the continent.

Seems quite irrational now, but LS commerce was pretty different back then, and also the whole Zindra relocation process was extremely fraught, with some purveyors to the virtual porn industry having to vacate their long-established Mainland locations (voiding their then-critical landmarks) in exchange for this new Adult ghetto. Nerves were raw.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Magellan's Crash is on Columbia, not Calleta.

Calleta is a city, as we already covered.

The one little sim called "Calleta" from which the city got its name is not that important now except for the infastructure, and it was always useless for rentals/homes anyway because it's g-rated. And its right by Magellan's Crash, although not in the same region overlooking it like a certain tower:)

Note that the port isn't in the Calleta sim either, it's actually mostly in the Cecropia sim, yet look at it's name: "Port Calleta". Amazing how this all goes together.

Have you considering convincing the SL wikki or your long-time neighbors that your version of reality is correct before preaching it as fact here?

Kama City is a small part of Zindra. Its clearly you that might benefit from visiting it a bit more. Whether you choose to acknowledge their existence in SL or not, there are urban areas that aren't single sims and are not the entire continent they occopy, such as Nova Albion, Bay City, Shermerville, Nautilius City, and Kama. All Kama is Zindra, but not all Zindra is Kama:)

• Like 1

The landing place hasn't changed since the city was finished. Its still called "Zindra", and its located in Mosh South. There's still a video (which my mac won't play) welcoming you to the "new" continent, and a notecard giver there.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mosh South/131/179/37

The Port Mall was there before Zindra was open for moving in. The booths were mentioned in the "SL Herald" during the "preview period", and there was a lot of speculation/paranoia about the Lindens trying to steal rental business from  landlords.

Side note: many of the municipal areas just south of the old welcome area are still unfinished. Streets, etc are often called "Hub Zone" or "Zindra". There was going to be a suburban part of the city, just south of Van Tessa, from around Pfiefer down to around Pelientes. There's an open strip of protected land going through Moorinda after the street ends in Pfeifer, that was going to be the rest of that road, it never got built because they oversold the land south of it and didn't have space to reach the river as originally planned, and eventually they filled it with trees.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diablo Lioncourt said:

The booths were mentioned in the "SL Herald" during the "preview period", and there was a lot of speculation/paranoia about the Lindens trying to steal rental business from  landlords.

Interesting, I didn't know about that. It makes sense for that mall area to have been abandoned then.

• Like 1

Ah, the Mosh South parcel is called "Zindra". That's interesting.

(Also note the creator of the map and the notecard-giving landing pad.)

There's a kind of pair of rivers that flow from the "North Reservoir" in Laffoon and create an island of sorts, I guess, of that chunk of Zindra to the west, which apparently was called "Ignyris" according to the wiki page about Zindra. That also shows the original geography of Mosh South (when it was still known as "Zindra"), long before that mall shell was installed.

• Like 3