Why is SL Clothing Mostly Overtly Sexual?

Possum888

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It was easier, too back in the day with flexi.  You could wear a underpant/pant layer and the skirt/dress flowed over that.  The system skirts were another awesome thing that should probably be used more now that BOM is here.  I haven't tried any of my old gowns that were system skirt only.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A lot of folks have mentioned almost all my favourite stores for clothes that I also find are not overtly sexual, at least in my definition, so I wont repeat them. I don't find the clothes "mostly" overtly sexual, but that's out there if that's your look.

There are also a large number of major stores that offers a wider range of everything from average casual to much sexier, places like Blueberry, Seniha, Bauhaus, Queen, Ricielli, and even Hilly Haalan. In these places you can find stuff that's very sexy, and also stuff that's run-of-the-mill ordinary.

My style is largely not overtly sexual, but I do manage some revelaing outfits (and even some formal gowns) that push the boundaries a bit, for those times I need that look. I say overtly because redheads, you know :) that's just the nature of the girl.

There are retailers who push sexual, often because of a theme; for example, there are enough sexy Kawaii-themed stores like Candy Kitten, Rebel Pill, Lunar etc also to fulfill everyone's revealing needs who like that specific fashion style. That's what makes SL cool, the variety.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

One of the gift cards that I picked up at the last Shop & Hop was for GGVG.  I didn't like anything at the S&H and just now got around to popping to the store (never been to this one before).  While they definitely do have some of the 'overtly sexual' category, they also do have a few very nice 'modest' outfits. I found some cute top & pant outfits, as well as a really pretty (and cheap) pencil skirt w/ top & jacket.  Also, the back wall on the left side has some clearance items. There is a top & pants fatpack back there for L$99 that included 6 HUDs for pant colors & patterns (the top is skimpy, but the pants can be worn separately).  Also a cute shorts outfit fatpack for L$99 - the top again is skimpy, but the shorts are high waisted and do not show the butt cheeks (an SL rarity) and can be worn separately.

This comes in 6 colors for only L$60 ea - and it fit very well.  I bought multiples.

image.thumb.png.70b7023ba01dcfa60d51bcbd62fb9f2f.png   image.thumb.png.479a71f5090ee7b33168cbd4791d5df8.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

It was easier, too back in the day with flexi.  You could wear a underpant/pant layer and the skirt/dress flowed over that.  The system skirts were another awesome thing that should probably be used more now that BOM is here.  I haven't tried any of my old gowns that were system skirt only.

Try your old system skirts on a mesh body. My experience is that they don't fit well. Some flexi skirts might work. I use a few shrinkable flexi skirts with the Jinx Petit avatar.

To the OP,

System layers are how I make clothing more modest, especially tank tops or camisoles and leggings or tights.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2

FWIW, Spectacledchic is having a 50% off sale right now.  They are definitely a good option. I think Pixicat has some modest clothing as well. 

I'd hold off on shopping now just in case stores participate in Black Friday sales.  

As someone who also whines about the predominance of overtly sexy clothing in SL (I do not want my nips and crotch on display), my go-tos are Ison, Coco, Neve, and PurpleMoon.   Siss Boom also has some nice outfits, especially if you like patterns (their Advent calendar always has some neat stuff that you won't find anywhere else).  There are also a few stores that specialize in era-specific clothing, like the 1940s/50s or even further back, but I don't remember any names off the top of my head.  Wait, there's Valentina E who does vintage clothing. Their color palette is pretty limited though (few prints and a lot of dark/jewel tones).  I'd buy a lot more clothing there if they offered more prints and pastels. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.