HOW CAN WE CHANGE OUR LIVES FOR THE BETTER IN SL?

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It's a very curious conceit, that a game could improve our lives.

Everything we do affects us...in a positive or negative way.  This is a central tenant of Yoga, and it's advised to spend time around the right people, or in the right places for optimum health.

As an example, if I go sit on my deck at my new beach shack in 2nd life, and gaze out at the ocean and clouds moving by....I feel better!  I can feel it in my body... that body that exists in both 1st and 2nd lives.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

Even our memories affect us.  As I sit here remembering my beach shack in SL, the ocean surrounding it, and the clouds rolling by -- I feel peaceful & calm -- better!

I've set it up to be that way.

We can set up most anything to be beneficial if we desire it enough.   If you don't find 2nd life good for you, that's on you!  Make a change.

Your world, your imagination.

Edited by Luna Bliss

13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

As an example, if I go sit on my deck at my new beach shack in 2nd life, and gaze out at the ocean and clouds moving by....I feel better!  I can feel it in my body... that body that exists in both 1st and 2nd lives.

SL has always been a great vacation destination for me.
I did that several times. Creating a campsite on mainland, I took a vacation on a lovely spot in a Belli mobile home, near a great water stream and the SL beach. This year I lived on a houseboat to have a short vacation.
But the feeling only holds for a short time compared to a RL vacation though.

And now I've send Sid on a vacation, while I only do RL. I hope that he will behave during my absence. :)

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

This is a central tenant of Yoga, and it's advised to spend time around the right people, or in the right places for optimum health.

More power to you. 

Earlier, when you said: 

16 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

This is a thread about how SL has changed us for the better.

If you don't feel SL has been or is good for you, or if you are one of the many who posts in the forum yet hardly logs inworld.......please don't post in this thread.

Given that you just said: 

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Everything we do affects us...in a positive or negative way. 

I interpret this to mean, whether or not some - or a majority - of people would say Second Life impacts them in a "negative way", you only wish to discuss how "SL has been or is good for you" (in your Real Life).

That's certainly a one-sided discussion.  It could explain why there are not many responses.

Do you have any thoughts on why almost noone replied on how "SL has changed us for the better", or in general on your all-caps OP title, "HOW CAN WE CHANGE OUR LIVES FOR THE BETTER IN SL?"  

(Some possible options for your consideration: The Forums are "dead"; not many care about the specific topic; there have not been enough replies so the post visibility went down; not many people feel Second Life changed their Real Lives for the better..; the topic is too personal for many to share here; the "ALL CAPS" OP Title could be off-putting; etc.)

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:
13 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I did that several times. Creating a campsite on mainland, I took a vacation on a lovely spot in a Belli mobile home, near a great water stream and the SL beach. This year I lived on a houseboat to have a short vacation.
But the feeling only holds for a short time compared to a RL vacation though.

And now I've send Sid on a vacation, to concentrate more on what is happening in RL. I hope that he will behave during my absence. :)

I understand that...it's not wise to spend all of one's time in the virtual, at least not for me.  Breaks are advised.

But this thread is not about comparing whether 1st or 2nd life is better for us -- it's about activities and experiences that happen in 2nd life which can be good for us in all worlds.

I doubt that Sid will behave while you're gone though, but we can hope ;0 

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yes! Since I already live in paradise in RL, there isn't much reason to travel. SL fills that "gap"; not sure how it impacts my RL since I already live in paradise in RL.

(Vacations are supposed to be "special"; SL is more an "every day" thing if you want it to be.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Everything we do affects us...in a positive or negative way. 

I interpret this to mean, whether or not some - or a majority - of people would say Second Life impacts them in a "negative way", you only wish to discuss how "SL has been or is good for you" (in your Real Life).

That's certainly a one-sided discussion. 

I want to hear from people who have been affected by 2nd life in a positive way,  and affected in any world, even if they live in a dimension most are not aware of...LOL.  I think we have enough negativity about 2nd life on the forum, don't you? 

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think we have enough negativity about 2nd life on the forum, don't you? 

Sure, why not.

The caveat is: If you post positive stuff about Second Life, some people (often the "usual suspects") get triggered to the point of RAEGE!!1!!1! because, "how dare we"?!?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:
11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think we have enough negativity about 2nd life on the forum, don't you? 

Sure, why not.

The caveat is: If you post positive stuff about Second Life, some people (often the "usual suspects") get triggered to the point of RAEGE!!1!!1! because, "how dare we"?!?

Interestingly, Love, I was thinking something similar a couple minutes ago.

Maybe I should start a thread named "SL Sucks Bigtime, Nothing Good Happens There"....then I'll get all the positivity I'm seeking on this thread...LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Interestingly, Love, I was thinking something similar a couple minutes ago.

Maybe I should start a thread named "SL Sucks Bigtime, Nothing Good Happens There"....then I'll get all the positivity I'm seeking on this thread...LOL

You'd get discussion. At minimum, from people who know you're not serious from your previous posts! 🙂 

(I'd suggest creating an Alt to write such a post, but I wouldn't want you to think I was trying to say anything rude or against the Community TOS.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm excited about an appointment I have this eve with a shamanic healer. She's been studying under a shaman in 1st life and seems to really know her stuff. I've already experienced amazing awareness and beneficial changes in my 1st and 2nd lives from attending her classes.

Shamanism delves into the subconscious, where all our patterns lie, patterns developed from environmental input long ago, patterns that might not be the best for us to have as we navigate through our 1st and 2nd lives.

I'm assuming you're referring to classes in Core Shamanism, since traditional shamanism wouldn't be taught this way. I'm asking, just to help define the terms we're using here. Also, some people might feel offended by what they view as cultural appropriation, if we don't make this distinction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

I'm assuming you're referring to classes in Core Shamanism, since traditional shamanism wouldn't be taught this way. I'm asking, just to help define the terms we're using here. Also, some people might feel offended by what they view as cultural appropriation, if we don't make this distinction.

I certainly hope the courses are being taught by bonafide Shamans.

Just like, at this point I would not take any instruction in Hinduism / Shaktism except from an avowed Hindu with "more experience than me".

Otherwise, it's more like auditing a college course on "World Religions".

ETA: Weird, "bonafide" is not a known word to the spellchecker used by my browser!

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I certainly hope the courses are being taught by bonafide Shamans.

Just like, at this point I would not take any instruction in Hinduism / Shaktism except from an avowed Hindu with "more experience than me".

Otherwise, it's more like auditing a college course on "World Religions".

ETA: Weird, "bonafide" is not a known word to the spellchecker used by my browser!

As an eclectic pagan, I can see value in learning from traditional shamanic beliefs and practices and in finding universal truths from multiple cultures. I'm not saying that Core Shamanism isn't valid, because I believe it is. I just don't want to dilute or appropriate traditional teachings and practices by labeling modern, eclectic versions of shamanism as being the same as traditional ones.

I'm not saying Luna's teacher isn't a real shaman, just as I wouldn't say someone isn't a real Buddhist, a real Christian, or a real witch. We are all free to define our beliefs as we see fit, hopefully without other people being openly judgemental about that. 

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Never mind the fact that Wki at least considers Shamanism or samanism as a religious practice that involves a practitioner interacting with the spirit world through altered states of consciousness, such as trance. That puts it over into talking about religion, a no no.

2 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

As an eclectic pagan, I can see value in learning from traditional shamanic beliefs and practices and in finding universal truths from multiple cultures. I'm not saying that Core Shamanism isn't valid, because I believe it is. I just don't want to dilute or appropriate traditional teachings and practices by labeling modern, eclectic versions of shamanism as being the same as traditional ones.

I'm not saying Luna's teacher isn't a real shaman, just as I wouldn't say someone isn't a real Buddhist, a real Christian, or a real witch. We are all free to define our beliefs as we see fit, hopefully without other people being openly judgemental about that. 

I did not mean to imply "not real", but "not qualified" vs. someone with "actual knowledge and experience" in the topic.

Kind of like, if someone were to teach Shamanism "wrong" (provide a skewed viewpoint that did not represent, etc.). Mis-represent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Never mind the fact that Wki at least considers Shamanism or samanism as a religious practice that involves a practitioner interacting with the spirit world through altered states of consciousness, such as trance. That puts it over into talking about religion, a no no.

People do practice religious practices in SL though, which is perfectly fine to discuss on this forum. People ask where to find other Christians or Pagans inworld. People have church services, meditation groups, and rituals inworld.

I don't think we have to totally avoid spiritual discussions, as long as we are respectful of all paths.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm excited about an appointment I have this eve with a shamanic healer. She's been studying under a shaman in 1st life and seems to really know her stuff. I've already experienced amazing awareness and beneficial changes in my 1st and 2nd lives from attending her classes.

Shamanism delves into the subconscious, where all our patterns lie, patterns developed from environmental input long ago, patterns that might not be the best for us to have as we navigate through our 1st and 2nd lives.

She's not teaching people how to become a shaman, she's using her shamanic training to assist us in various classes (there was a series on the chakras, and the one I'm currently in clears patterns formed with our mothers & fathers, as well as healing our wounded inner child). My individual session will focus on whatever current issues I bring to the table to clear.

Her background is in European Shamanism, as taught by a Shaman she's studying under, so not the Core Shamanism developed by Michael Harner in the 80's.

Freyja (the most renowned of the Norse Goddesses) was invoked in this last series of classes, to assist us with her compassionate nature. There may be some Sami Shamanism elements in her healings, but not really sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

She's not teaching people how to become a shaman, she's using her shamanic training to assist us in various classes (there was a series on the chakras, and the one I'm currently in clears patterns formed with our mothers & fathers, as well as healing our wounded inner child). My individual session will focus on whatever current issues I bring to the table to clear.

Her background is in European Shamanism, as taught by a Shaman she's studying under, so not the Core Shamanism developed by Michael Harner in the 80's.

Freyja (the most renowned of the Norse Goddesses) was invoked in this last series of classes, to assist us with her compassionate nature. There may be some Sami Shamanism elements in her healings, but not really sure.

Good to know we're not talking about Religion.  Weird how that's a "fine line"!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

And that is on topic???????

Sure it is.

When I explore various cultures/spiritualities/people in 2nd life I go deep.  I want to know their music, maybe even their food. Learning about other people is a primary way we change ourselves for the better...and 2nd life provides that opportunity in spades!

If you scroll up, you'll see we were discussing European Shamanism and that class I'm learning from in 2nd life, and I mentioned Freyja (a Nordic Goddess) and the Sami people in northern Scandinavia.  The song I posted is Nordic.

Edited by Luna Bliss

You gave the thread the wrong title IMHO.
SL is only used as a cover in this thread for your real purpose: Dabbling about your spirituality. Just like in every thread lately.

"In SL I heard this real great recipe about pancakes..... this is how to make them".
Makes that talking about baking pancakes in RL on topic?

"In SL I noticed people talking about the massacre that is taking place in Israël and Gaza"
So we can talk politics than all of a sudden?

I don't think so.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

SL is only used as a cover in this thread for your real purpose: Dabbling about your spirituality. Just like in every thread lately.

The phrase you're looking for is "Alternative Religious Spam".

If people want to "grow" in SL, they can buy a Kupra, and edit their boob, butt, body fat, and height sliders too 100.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

"In SL I heard this real great recipe about pancakes..... this is how to make them".
Makes that talking about baking pancakes in RL on topic?

Uhh...please red my opening paragraph again:

"Second Life has the ability to make our lives better -- the spaces we inhabit in SL can have deep meaning for us. From joining any of the self-growth groups offered here and learning new ways of relating to others in all worlds, to making friends, to gazing out at the virtual ocean and feeling a sense of peace and calm wash over us, to feeling the excitement of learning how to build a new item or decorate our home or garden, to having a cherished place of isolation and peace from a busy 1st life, or viewing an art installation that causes us to ponder ourselves and the world at a deeper level.

What do you do in SL to enhance your life?"

I've talked about all these...relationships with people...gazing out at my 2nd life ocean....building a new undersea garden...feeling peace @ various spots in 2nd life and how they feel like a refuge to me....self-help groups...visiting art installations (where I met you, actually), and the spaces in SL that have deep meaning for us (currently this self-help group with Nordic influence).

Really Sid, if you don't like seeing how another person enjoys 2nd life just leave the thread! 

• Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.