HOW CAN WE CHANGE OUR LIVES FOR THE BETTER IN SL?

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life has the ability to make our lives better -- the spaces we inhabit in SL can have deep meaning for us. From joining any of the self-growth groups offered here and learning new ways of relating to others in all worlds, to making friends, to gazing out at the virtual ocean and feeling a sense of peace and calm wash over us, to feeling the excitement of learning how to build a new item or decorate our home or garden, to having a cherished place of isolation and peace from a busy 1st life, or viewing an art installation that causes us to ponder ourselves and the world at a deeper level.

What do you do in SL to enhance your life?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It can raise your energy, Arielle -- then channel it for the good!    :)

Sure, it helps with empathy. As an example I find the best Dom/me's  are those who have tried both sides of the coin and know how it feels to be dominant or submissive. Those dominants who say they could never be a submissive are incapable of being a good Dom/me because they have no clue what the sub really needs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
20 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It can raise your energy, Arielle -- then channel it for the good!    :)

Sure, it helps with empathy. As an example I find the best Dom/me's  are those who have tried both sides of the coin and know how it feels to be dominant or submissive. Those dominants who say they could never be a submissive are incapable of being a good Dom/me because they have no clue what the sub really needs.

I find the whole power exchange too contrived for me, and it goes against my ethics of shared power in relationships (for me, personally).

I think some do find an exploration regarding power dynamics in relationships beneficial though, as power/control in all relationships is a big factor we need to understand.  But this is quite a long discussion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I find the whole power exchange too contrived for me, and it goes against my ethics of shared power in relationships (for me, personally).

I think some do find an exploration regarding power dynamics in relationships beneficial though, as power/control in all relationships is a big factor we need to understand.  But this is quite a long discussion.

It was through partaking of it virtually that I realized how relevant it is even in RL but is often an unconscious undertone permeating many relationships. The question then is whether it is the more dominant or submissive party that instigated the dynamic. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It was through partaking of it virtually that I realized how relevant it is even in RL but is often an unconscious undertone permeating many relationships. The question then is whether it is the more dominant or submissive party that instigated the dynamic.

I assume you mean for yourself personally?

For many I think it's a kind of yin-yang type of dynamic, where there's a synergy between the 2 elements, and one is never totally separate from the other.

SL was boring me to death. So I've decided to take a longer break a few days ago.
How does it enhance my life?
I have more time to rediscover real life.

Given what is happening in the real world right now, not a second to early. The real world is on fire and needs a lot of attention.
Far more important than a happy, unhappy or boring SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

This is a thread about how SL has changed us for the better.

If you don't feel SL has been or is good for you, or if you are one of the many who posts in the forum yet hardly logs inworld.......please don't post in this thread.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If this topic focuses on "First Life", then..

The title of the thread is "how can we change our lives for the better in SL", and so I'm hoping to hear experiences people have in 2nd life that changes their life for the better -- this 'life' of theirs exists in all 'worlds'.  I don't necessarily make a distinction (on many levels) between 1st and 2nd life, because it's my feelings about an experience that counts in any world.  For example, if I make a friend in 2nd life I feel happy about our friendship when I'm in both 'worlds', or if I learn a new skill in 2nd life or create a new art project I feel happy about that in both 'worlds'. If I learn a relationship skill in 2nd life in one of the support groups (like how to set boundaries with others in the best way possible) this will apply to relationships both in and out of 2nd life.

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

Best joke since a long time.

So are just speaking for yourself and saying the idea of 2nd life changing you for the better is a joke, or are you saying that you don't accept that 2nd life has changed other people's lives for the better?

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

So are just speaking for yourself and saying the idea of 2nd life changing you for the better is a joke, or are you saying that you don't accept that 2nd life has changed other people's lives for the better?

No, what Alwin said.
Pot- kettle- black

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

No, what Alwin said.

I have a difficult time understanding Alwin...can you explain with your own words, as you speak so clearly and i usually get what you mean..

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

I have a difficult time understanding Alwin...can you explain with your own words, as you speak so clearly and i usually get what you mean..

No, that is off topic. :P

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I'm excited about an appointment I have this eve with a shamanic healer. She's been studying under a shaman in 1st life and seems to really know her stuff. I've already experienced amazing awareness and beneficial changes in my 1st and 2nd lives from attending her classes.

Shamanism delves into the subconscious, where all our patterns lie, patterns developed from environmental input long ago, patterns that might not be the best for us to have as we navigate through our 1st and 2nd lives.

16 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

SL was boring me to death. So I've decided to take a longer break a few days ago.
How does it enhance my life?
I have more time to rediscover real life.

Given what is happening in the real world right now, not a second to early. The real world is on fire and needs a lot of attention.
Far more important than a happy, unhappy or boring SL.

I like this! 

Am I correctly paraphrasing you if I state, "Spending less time in Second Life enhanced your life"?

1 minute ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yup, but not my SL but my RL.

Argh, I was close close! Here's what I meant:  Am I correctly paraphrasing you if I state, "Spending less time in Second Life enhanced your Real Life"?

Ironically, the OP is a little bit ambiguous with "our lives"; "our REAL lives" is heavily implied but not explicitly stated.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

ironically, the OP is a little bit ambiguous with "our lives"; "our REAL lives" is heavily implied but not explicitly stated.

I'm not ambiguous about anything.  As I said, I make no distinction between 1st life and 2nd life on a feeling level -- what affects me in 2nd life affects me in all worlds.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Argh, I was close close! Here's what I meant:  Am I correctly paraphrasing you if I state, "Spending less time in Second Life enhanced your Real Life"?

Ironically, the OP is a little bit ambiguous with "our lives"; "our REAL lives" is heavily implied but not explicitly stated.

That is how I read the title of the topic. How did your RL got better because of SL.
Otherwise I would not have responded.
Everybody knows that going off topic is not done on these forums.  Especially me, I never do that. :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It's a very curious conceit, that a game could improve our lives.

Here's a try on what may work: Before trying Second Life, I was sad and lonely. After trying Second Life, I feel so much better about myself - compared to those weirdos in Second Life!

There! I did the mental gymnastics!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.