New Last names soon?

Plant Evergreen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 10/8/2023 at 9:59 PM, Cold Shiver said:

Ha! Not even surprised but as I predicted "Shadow" is getting snapped up as a last name very quickly, since for some reason people really love using names with "shadow" in them. It's been snapped up 84 times at the time of this posting. (Yes I counted, I was waiting for someone and had a bit of time to kill). Dark Shadow has been snapped up. I wonder if it'll be as popular as the "Daddy" last names.

Just curious, how did you pull stats on how many people have taken a surname? I remember there used to be a site to track that but I thought it stopped updating and now I can't remember what it was called. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Arwyn Quandry said:

Just curious, how did you pull stats on how many people have taken a surname? I remember there used to be a site to track that but I thought it stopped updating and now I can't remember what it was called. 

You put in the desired lastname into legacy search (non web one, so official LL viewer won't work as it doesn't have legacy search I believe), and first click through the pages of matching first names until you find the start of said last name, then just count manually.

Site you meant is bonniebots.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Site you meant is bonniebots.

No, not BB. This was a much older site which was around since near the start. I remember referencing it back in like, 2008-ish.

Edit: Found it. It was SL Name Watch. Unfortunately seems to be defunct now.

Edited by Arwyn Quandry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:47 AM, Arwyn Quandry said:

I counted manually in the firestorm viewer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

how do you count the hidden profiles?

Legacy search is not affected by the "show my profile info in search result" setting, it's only for the web-search. So you can use method I've described above: put a desired last name into People tab of FS search, click through the pages until you see that last name and count manually.

Edited by steeljane42

40 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Legacy search is not affected by the "show my profile info in search result" setting, it's only for the web-search. So you can use method I've described above: put a desired last name into People tab of FS search, click through the pages until you see that last name and count manually.

Huh, good to know my count at the time was accurate then! I didn't take it too seriously but it's nice to know.

7 hours ago, Maitimo said:

I can see Shadow being popular with the goth crowd.

Maybe railway enthusiasts would like Stoker.

Otherwise... meh. There's no point paying $40 for a last name that's going to be obsolete once the holiday is over.

Nupe, us goths will take Stoker also.

Case in point: Bram Stoker

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 203 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.