Ideas for a "More Realistic Experience" in Second Life

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Admittedly, I also remembered that I could have been conflating a half-remembered change where objects WITH scripts (not just physics) had a higher LI than objects WITHOUT scripts). 

That makes more sense actually, the bar stools/table set I mentioned, unscripted weigh in at 2 LI for table  and 4 stools, add a script however and the LI climbs to 4.

But you also used the term "physical" which is not the same as having a physics collision mesh. setting an object "physical" doesn't change it's LI.

• Like 1

I'd love to see the realism of nature replicated to a greater degree. We already have that to a point...but it could be better. I'm remembering how water was so much better at another world.

Somebody created an amazing experience with umbrellas that was so realistic and made me feel I was really on a city street in the rain with the umbrellas floating through the air, being blown about by the wind.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd love to see more replications of shamanic experiences too.  That's my kind of realism I'd love to see people create

Install Skyrim AE, use a mod manager to install a mod called "Skooma Wh*re", take all the weird in game drugs, be immersed in weird screen overlays as your character trips their box off, and becomes a publically despised junkie.

LOL

• Haha 3

Realism, immersion...it's all kind of related, somewhat.

As far as SL goes, I don't find it realistic at all (obviously - I'm rarely ever human here), but I don't really want or need it to be, either. I like that it's wacky and unique and often totally bonkers. I mostly come here to be ridiculous and SL does that pretty well. There are so many other platforms and games gunning for hyperrealism, but I'm very thankful SL doesn't swing that way.

There are some existing ways to make it more realistic - usually through those life sim RP games n HUDs n things (MyStory and whatnot). As long as that stays optional, and my avatar won't start passing out if I don't eat the delicious desserts I've got scattered around my house, I'm all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I like that it's wacky and unique and often totally bonkers.

Yes! And most of the suggestions are bonkers on purpose, following that general idea.

"Immersion", on the other hand, generally implies a type of "realism" where you begin to forget something is "not real".  Hard to do when everything is utterly bonkers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As long as that stays optional, and my avatar won't start passing out if I don't eat the delicious desserts I've got scattered around my house, I'm all good.

The fridge in the kitchen of my SL House, currently has champagne, jello shots, ice cream cornetto things, apple pie, chocolate cake, and a few other bits n pieces, there's coffee n juice on the counter top next to the fridge, and a charcuterie board, and a tub of ice with bottles of beer.

All these things give/temp attach "food and drink" items, NONE are part of any pay to play RP Hud system, and NOT using them doesn't destroy my ability to use and enjoy SL.

That's about as "real" as I want it to be.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Message from SecondLife: "Attention stupid noob, your attempt to IIM the Volunteer Mentor has FAILED, because you have no in-game shopping tokens with which to purchase a whyPhone Prim, and pay for IM minutes"

Only an idiot would assume that CHARGING people for sending IM's wouldn't end badly and severely damage retention.

Only an idiot would assume that,  or somebody who only sees "hyperbole" because their head's permanently jammed in their "Hyperhole".

Ohhh, I've got it - how bout an emoji tax? 

But on the other hand, that could be considered taking advantage of people who really just need a nap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes! And most of the suggestions are bonkers on purpose, following that general idea.

"Immersion", on the other hand, generally implies a type of "realism" where you begin to forget something is "not real".  Hard to do when everything is utterly bonkers.

Some of the suggestions I've seen are things that currently exist elsewhere in different games. They don't seem bonkers at all - just routine and tedious. Would they fit in here - maybe, but I'd prefer they stay optional via a RP system.

5 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The fridge in the kitchen of my SL House, currently has champagne, jello shots, ice cream cornetto things, apple pie, chocolate cake, and a few other bits n pieces, there's coffee n juice on the counter top next to the fridge, and a charcuterie board, and a tub of ice with bottles of beer.

All these things give/temp attach "food and drink" items, NONE are part of any pay to play RP Hud system, and NOT using them doesn't destroy my ability to use and enjoy SL.

That's about as "real" as I want it to be.

Oh yeah, I've got tons of food givers and typically decorate my kitchens and living spaces with a TON of food - plates, drinks, bar carts, platters, dessert tables, breakfast nooks. None are linked to those RP systems. If food were to become realistic, though, I'd have ants for days because I put it *everywhere*. It's just so pretty to look at!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Immersion", on the other hand, generally implies a type of "realism" where you begin PRETEND to forget something is "not real". 

LOL, fixed that for you...

FUN!  ....but not if it wrecks the experience for others

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Immersion, is one of those buzzwords beloved of the "lets add more realism" crowd in most systems.

Immersion does not require realism. A fantasy setting can be immersive. Engaging both sight and sound in realistic ways helps create greater immersion though. Leading a user to interact with elements of a setting or story helps to create immersion. Creating a desire to explore a setting or find out more about a story also creates immersion.

An example of a non-realistic immersive setting in SL would be Bryn Oh's "The Singularity of Kumiko", in which avatars find themselves in a strange dark place lit only by a few lights and the flashlights they hold. They have to interact with notes and recording machines in order to figure out what this place represents and what is going on.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Lyric Demina said:

It would be too much realism -- and I hope hair creators never get to a point where they do this -- to offer hair that grows. 

That can be simulated already. I have several hairs that can be changed, with an avatar animation, from being bound up to being loose or from falling in front of the avatar's shoulders to falling over their back. This illusion is done with multiple versions of the hair being worn at the same time, while a script changes which version is visible. A creator could easily create a script which shows either shorter or longer hair.

Plant Pets "grow" in the same way.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

40 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Install Skyrim AE, use a mod manager to install a mod called "Skooma Wh*re", take all the weird in game drugs, be immersed in weird screen overlays as your character trips their box off, and becomes a publically despised junkie.

LOL

SL also has HUD overlays associated with "taking drugs". My favorite is the payote trip at the Tableau sim.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Kind of hard to do, identifying if an attachment count's as "shoes' or not.

Not sure it would count as 'fun' either, I'm seldom without shoes or boots in SL, and in addition, where I live, it's not usual to remove footwear in other peoples homes.

/me shrugs

Easiest solution would be to put up a sign that says, "Please remove shoes before entering". 

605.jpg

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 152 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.