Sent a viewer by friend, given warning by viewer when logging in.

Aoife Atheria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, I'm concerned about something that happened earlier, and I'm unaware what I should do in this situation.

I was sent a viewer by a friend on discord after having trouble with Black Dragon running terribly who stated It 'ran better and had a lot more features' which was rather vague, but I decided to give it a try.

After installing it, and running it, I attempted to log in and it notified me something along the lines that 'this viewer breaches TOS, and could lead to account suspension. Linden Labs is watching.' so I didn't log in and uninstalled it.

Should I.. Make a support ticket to explain this to them, or is it simply okay as long as I didn't log in?

Kind of concerned about getting banned due to something I was unaware of.

Edited by Aoife Atheria
Clarification and Grammar.

12 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Aoife Atheria said:

I was sent a viewer by a friend on discord

I'm unaware what I should do in this situation.

ever read the common warnings about downloads and exe programs from  "friends"?
You click links in groups chats and messages?

You downloaded a copybot or other malicious coded viewer. Check your "friends" a bit better and learn from it.

You don't have to use the most recent firestorm viewer.  If the previous one was working, use that one for now.  They have a 3 viewer limit on what they support, however.  There may be some graphic preferences you can adjust in the newest viewer to increase performance.  Ask in the inworld Firestorm group.  They're very helpful.

I kind of deleted the thing from my PC in a hurry, screamed at him, and blocked him, it looked like some knockoff of Firestorm to be honest, which was a point I made to him when I saw the login menu, so I couldn't tell you the exact name, something storm. I'm not too knowledgeable when it comes to viewers.

I'm just decently irked about somebody sending me something that could get me in trouble.

Firestorm is what I currently use, But since the most recent update it's for whatever reason been slow for whatever reason (Prior versions) were fine.

And yeah, admittedly I already deal with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, when I saw the little prompt pop up I went into a full panic, and deleted everything and blocked him, I'm frankly unsure if he realized what he was using was a 'no no' or was perfectly aware.  

No idea what Cool VL is, I know.. Black Dragon (Which runs absolutely terribly for me) and Firestorm, and I remember some mobile viewer way back but that's about it. I'm aware there's probably a resource for this kind of stuff around, but Firestorm has always pretty much been decent enough.

• Like 1

Everything points to it having been a copybot viewer. It's good that you deleted it, and you're not gonna get banned for having installed it.

In any case, don't trust "a viewer" sent to you by anybody. Get it from its official website, and at least try to make sure it looks reputable.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 3

I appreciate it, Admittedly, I haven't looked at that page in a very long time since before I took a long break from Second Life.

I've stuck to using firestorm, and frankly this has me decently worried about using anything else

Frankly didn't expect a viewer sent to me by somebody I'd known for about 8 months would be something like that. 

Not a fun afternoon, dealing with anxiety.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 264 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.