Cannot change profile picture in Firestorm nor Second Life Viewer

Asher Isodo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I apologize first of if this is covered elsewhere, but I have had zero luck finding a solution for this.  I have recently updated my avatar, and thus, wanted to update my profile picture as well.  However, when I change the picture, save it, and close the profile, I am finding that when I reopen my profile, the old picture is back.  It is doing this on my main profile picture as well as my RL picture on both the Firestorm and the Second Life Viewer.  I had my wife log into her account on my computer and change her picture, and she does not have any issue doing so.  I admit I am not the most "tech savy" individual, but I cannot understand why I am having this issue but she does not.  If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.

I use the LL Viewer and the only time I couldn't get my photo to "stick", after uploading was, it seems, because it was too big. I was advised on this, so I changed from PNG to JPG, which made it smaller and that did work. To this day, I do not know if that was actually the problem, because I too, am not tech savvy!

While it was a PNG photo I uploaded, my wife also uploaded a new PNG photo and hers worked just fine.  Also, her picture was larger size-wise than mine was.  I am stumped at this point because it doesn't make sense why she has no issues using the exact same hardware and program as I am using with pictures we are making sure are as close as possible to each others.

From memory I think there's something unintuitive interface-wise about this, I can't quite remember what it is though. You have to 'save' the change you have made to make the profile picture stick though, I haven't done it in a long time but I remember this stumping me for a while too until I realized I was just closing the profile window and it was undoing the change to the picture I had made.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

18 hours ago, Asher Isodo said:

While it was a PNG photo I uploaded, my wife also uploaded a new PNG photo and hers worked just fine.  Also, her picture was larger size-wise than mine was.  

Wot 'bout file size though ? Just convert it to .jpg and retry

In Firestorm, the Save button is not getting activated when the profile texture is changed.  I added a space to my 'About' section and that activated the Save button, which did also save the new profile pic.

In SL viewer, I brought up my profile, clicked Actions and selected 'Change Photo'. Selected a new pic and closed the profile -- there is no Save button on that one.  Re-opened the profile and it does have the new picture. 

• Like 4

In Firestorm, there is a gear box next to the photo (upper left of the photo). Click that and select 'Change Picture' and then select a new pic and it will save without clicking any Save buttons.  

Or if you click the picture itself first and select a new picture, then click the gear and select 'Change Picture' - it will reopen the texture box, just click OK since you have already put in a new picture.  When you close the profile and reopen it, the new pic will be there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok let me try to answer everything.  BTW I changed my profile picture here to my current look, but it didn't help me in game.  I have tried using the action button by the profile picture to change the picture, but when I closed my profile and reopened, the old picture is back.  I have clicked on the photo itself to open the texture box and try to change it that way, however this is not working either.  I have tried the picture as a png and as a jpeg and neither work.  The picture size is 114 kb, which is smaller than pictures we've tried on other account on the same computer.  I installed the SL viewer and tried that one and it will not accept the new picture.  However, it is not just my profile picture that is doing this.  The picture on the RL page and one of my pick pictures will not change either, yet I was able to change the pictures on 2 other pick pages with no issues.  I've been in SL for over 10 years and have changed pictures many times over the years, but I've never seen this before.

With the profile and real life photo, there are 2 change options. One is upload photo, which loads a new photo from an external source. The other is change photo, which goes to textures in your in-world inventory. For PICKS, it always goes to textures in the inventory, or the image of the place you are standing (the image in about land).

The upload and change options do not need saving, that is done automatically. I am talking about the LL Viewer. Seems things work differently for Firestorm. If your preference is Firestorm, I think they have in-world helpers that might be able to guide you. Most times I have had unexplained problems with a viewer, I am told to either clear the cache or uninstall and reinstall it!

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2023 at 4:09 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

In Firestorm, there is a gear box next to the photo (upper left of the photo). Click that and select 'Change Picture' and then select a new pic and it will save without clicking any Save buttons.  

Or if you click the picture itself first and select a new picture, then click the gear and select 'Change Picture' - it will reopen the texture box, just click OK since you have already put in a new picture.  When you close the profile and reopen it, the new pic will be there.

This "solved" my problem. Not terribly intuitive and indeed a change form the last time I changed (likely before the latest FS was out). Here is a screenshot for visual folks.

image.png.acf3d966fd1b579567ab0b170fe09db6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

this is the side effect of merging in the largely retrograde profile updates that were applied when LL moved away from web profiles. We now have "free upload" profile images that you pick directly from disk and which cost nothing, and bypass the normal image upload. The downside of these is that they are then squashed to 256x256. We retrospectively restored the ability to select an inworld texture and upload normally, which leads to this rather awkward situation where you have multiple ways to "update" your profile. It's pretty ugly all round and personally, I think it was far better before the profile changes were made.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I have tried the gear box method several times with no luck.  I cannot change the profile pic, the rl pic, and one of the tabs in the Picks section, I delete and it returns.  I have tried Firestorm and the official second life viewer and it does this on both.  Multiple people have now logged into their accounts on my computer and have had no issue changing their pictures and it saving.  I am under the assumption at this point that my account is bugged.  I have sent in a ticket with Firestorm and am looking to do so with Second Life also.

5 hours ago, Asher Isodo said:

I have tried the gear box method several times with no luck.  I cannot change the profile pic, the rl pic, and one of the tabs in the Picks section, I delete and it returns.  I have tried Firestorm and the official second life viewer and it does this on both.  Multiple people have now logged into their accounts on my computer and have had no issue changing their pictures and it saving.  I am under the assumption at this point that my account is bugged.  I have sent in a ticket with Firestorm and am looking to do so with Second Life also.

At this point, I would definitely go with a Support ticket for the LL viewer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Asher Isodo out of interest (given new information on another thread here) have you changed your name recently (or ever)? I'm trying to see if there is a pattern behind these.

ETA: I just saw your JIRA (thank you). https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-234248

I am directing a few others that way. Can you please updateon the JIRA if by some chance you have changed your SL name recently (or undergone any other change that comes to mind)

Edited by Beq Janus
added the jira link

@Beq JanusI have not changed my name at all.  I tried in Firestorm and the Official viewer.  A different thread said to try an old version of Firestorm.   I downloaded 5.something and changing the profile worked and saved just fine.

On a side note, the Picks tab worked in both viewers works just fine to upload a pic and they saved info I typed in.  Only SL bio/pic and RL bio/pic tabs didn't save changes.

I successfully changed pictures two days ago, using the "old way." Today, neither old or new way is working. The same pic I can't save (I get no Save button lighting up, nor does adding text/spaces, which does bring up the Save button, works) was saved successfully by someone else, so it is cherry picking who gets the problem.

PICKS are working, not top profile or the First Life one, which have the awesome new gear system...

Edited by Jaida Renilo

I have tried clearing my cache, downloading the new Firestorm, and shrinking my photos just in case that was the issue. Nope! Neither 2nd life nor 1st life photo, or about me, wants to save under any circumstances. Absolutely infuriating.

Edited by Missy Starchild

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.