Unrigged alpha blended bangs and eyelashes

AmeliaJ08

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm reasonably confident there is no good solution to this but I thought I should check my working with the experts.

I love hair, I love the bangs that are often included and I love mixing and matching these to create quite different styles.

I do not love how unrigged attachments like unrigged bangs do not have any alpha ordering though which means eyelashes (rigged, with alpha) often make fitting unrigged bangs very difficult. You can resize them of course but the necessary amount of resize to avoid them touching the invisible bounds of a mesh head's eyelashes often mean you have to make them very large in certain dimensions and it doesn't look good.

I know about alpha ordering and how to fix transparency issues but this only applies to rigged mesh, correct? bangs are most often unrigged and there's no way to make them respect the ordering system regardless of where they are attached.

Making the eyelashes alpha-masked is one solution but a very nasty looking one, Lelutka's included eyelashes do not alpha mask nicely and you just end up with jaggy pixels.

Am I missing something or must I endlessly meddle with my bangs to make them clear my lashes?

Β 

Β  Β I've tried to figure it out for ages, still haven't really come up with anything. Alpha masked eyelashes is the least evil option I've found, takes a lot of tinkering to find the right radius for it to not look totally awful though.

Β  Β .. Of course it'll still look totally awful when viewed up close, but it's less obvious than having your bangs cut off in the middle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Β  Β I've tried to figure it out for ages, still haven't really come up with anything. Alpha masked eyelashes is the least evil option I've found, takes a lot of tinkering to find the right radius for it to not look totally awful though.

Β  Β .. Of course it'll still look totally awful when viewed up close, but it's less obvious than having your bangs cut off in the middle.

I just found these, not sure how they'll look but maybe it's a solution to try when wearing certain bangs?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Bootys-Beauty-Lelutka-Evolution-Mask-Lashes-Group-Gift/18771961

Now if LL could just give us a way of assigning alpha priority to an unrigged attachment... or the head makers made lashes a little smaller, I've noticed that changing lash length does nothing since the actual boundary of the lashes is always the same on Lelutka at least.

Β 

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

VOID has some rigged mesh lashes I've been meaning to try but the demo is only inworld and I keep forgetting.Β  Β  That's about the only option I'm aware of.Β Β 

Β 

Wouldn't work, the issue is that the lashes are rigged and bangs unrigged.

Β 

10 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

I wear the Void lashes with unrigged bangs. It works fine.

Which ones specifically? I'll look into it, I'm struggling to see how it could work though since the issue is that rigged stuff has alpha priority but unrigged doesn't.

Β 

I see some Void lashes mention they are alpha-masking, is it those ones maybe?

These specifically: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Demure-Lashes/23633384?page=2 - looks like they're using alpha masking, price is so high though :(

Edited by AmeliaJ08

3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Which ones specifically? I'll look into it, I'm struggling to see how it could work though since the issue is that rigged stuff has alpha priority but unrigged doesn't.

Β 

These specifically: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Demure-Lashes/23633384?page=2 - looks like they're using alpha masking, price is so high though :(

If you want the demo, read the owner's profile as you'll need to enable an experience to go to their store.Β  It'sΒ quiteΒ an experience just getting to the demo.Β  I tried them finally and really like them.Β Β 

Β 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you want the demo, read the owner's profile as you'll need to enable an experience to go to their store.Β  It'sΒ quiteΒ an experience just getting to the demo.Β  I tried them finally and really like them.Β Β 

Β 

I'm so tempted but... so lazy. Maybe later hehe.

Thank you.

Β 

On 8/3/2023 at 12:21 PM, AmeliaJ08 said:

I'm so tempted but... so lazy. Maybe later hehe.

Thank you.

Β 

I've been wearing them for almost a week now.Β  I've tried them with various unrigged bangs and hair.Β  I'd highly recommend them.Β  I've yet to have the eyelash glitch.Β  They might be a bit more dramatic than some people prefer but I'm loving them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been wearing them for almost a week now.Β  I've tried them with various unrigged bangs and hair.Β  I'd highly recommend them.Β  I've yet to have the eyelash glitch.Β  They might be a bit more dramatic than some people prefer but I'm loving them.

They're on my list of expensive things I'll eventually splurge on, thank you

Β  Β Went and tried them, they look really nice .. But that's a lot of dough for eyelashes.Β 

Β  Β Oh well, guess I'm off to start composing my 'looking for sugar mum' thread ..Β 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Β  Β Went and tried them, they look really nice .. But that's a lot of dough for eyelashes.Β 

Β  Β Oh well, guess I'm off to start composing my 'looking for sugar mum' thread ..Β 

It's something I'll wear every day like my body, head and skin.Β  As a main component, I thought it was a reasonable expense.Β  I'll never buy another set of lash appliers again so in the end, I may save money?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's something I'll wear every day like my body, head and skin.Β  As a main component, I thought it was a reasonable expense.Β  I'll never buy another set of lash appliers again so in the end, I may save money?

Β  Β This is true. The L$/time used is excellent (assuming I don't go and change head to something it won't work for, but I don't see myself doing that any time soon!).Β 

Β  Β But, I've also told myself I can't buy any L$ for a bit, so I only have my stipend and whatever I can scratch out of trivia balls or the odd photo commission. Soooo, unless I go out of my way to hit up clients (ew), I'll have to wait.

Β  Β .. Or win 300 trivia questions. I mean I did get 10 tonight whilst semi-AFKing at a club. Just 290 to go!

• Like 3

I agree. They are a lot of fun and really versatile too, you can get a lot of different looks with just one pair of eyelashes. In addition, they are rigged for pretty much every single Lelutka head, with new heads added almost as soon as Lelutka makes them. So no need to worry that if you change Lelutka heads, you will be out a heap of money.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Isn't there something about making the root prim transparentΒ  and attatching to the skull that sets the priority?

Only works for rigged items.

Bangs are most often unrigged to allow for the necessary adjustment, unrigged items unfortunately do not have any sense of alpha priority (for want of a better term to describe this) that rigged attachments do which is why they 'collide' with the alpha of rigged things like hair, eyelashes etc that use alpha textures.

The system you're talking about is this and it does work, it just doesn't apply to anything that isn't rigged unfortunately:

https://slalphaglitch.tumblr.com/

"This fix is only relevant for rigged/fitted/bento mesh, and will not work with anything unrigged/resize."

Β 

Now... I am thinking about why there is the requirement for the attachment to be rigged. This whole issue could be solved by changing that and simply making the attachment point the only thing that matters.

Β 

Β 

Edited by AmeliaJ08

9 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Only works for rigged items.

Bangs are most often unrigged to allow for the necessary adjustment, unrigged items unfortunately do not have any sense of alpha priority (for want of a better term to describe this) that rigged attachments do which is why they 'collide' with the alpha of rigged things like hair, eyelashes etc that use alpha textures.

The system you're talking about is this and it does work, it just doesn't apply to anything that isn't rigged unfortunately:

https://slalphaglitch.tumblr.com/

"This fix is only relevant for rigged/fitted/bento mesh, and will not work with anything unrigged/resize."

Β 

Now... I am thinking about why there is the requirement for the attachment to be rigged. This whole issue could be solved by changing that and simply making the attachment point the only thing that matters.

Β 

Β 

I made a thread awhile back about the alpha glitch fix.. I could swear we were messing with bangs in that thread.. I'm gonna have to go back and see what we ended up with.. I could swearΒ  this same thing came up in there..

ETA: Ya, after finding that thread , I remember where they said something about it only being for rigged and not unrigged.. It's been awhile since I messed with any of this.. Hopefully they end up doing something for unrigged in the future.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 3:03 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Well I dropped the cash on them and yeah, dramatic is right! there's some I can live with though, it's a shame there doesn't seem to be many styles to buy, I might have to try making some of my own.

Still with all the glitter and stuff turned off they are the only alpha masking lashes I have found that actually look okay! thank you, it's a bit of a complicated fix to this and the HUD took some decipering (Lelutka should just include some similar alpha mask styles in their HUD) but it does work

Β 

On 8/3/2023 at 7:31 AM, AmeliaJ08 said:

Β 

Way too pricey !!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, colleen Criss said:

Way too pricey !!!!

Yeah it is a very expensive solution and the styles it offers are quite specific due to them using alpha masking (which fixes the colliding with alpha blending hair/bangs issue), very fine individual lash detail isn't really possible so the lashes are mostly very styled. There is a selection in the pack and all of the extra decoration can be disabled but even the least-styled options might still be a bit too much for some.

I'm using them and they do look good but I'm not sure I can use them for all outfits, they clash if you're dressing down in any way. I am thinking I might try to make some of my own textures for them (they include the dev kit) with a little less length and spectacularity! I'll see if I can get my head around that.

One tip for anyone using it: the HUD offers very limited (and quite odd) tint colors, you can edit the lashes and select face to tint them any color you want though, this helped me a lot. A color picker in the HUD would be good, not sure why this wasn't included.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 2

Sorry to wake this thread up again.Β  I just managed to get a no.match hair style no_selection to work without glitching with my Lelutka eyebrows (baulked at all that cash for things too flashy for me) by attaching the hair on the 'right hind leg' or 'right pec'.Β  Thankie @AmeliaJ08Β for the link.

Beforefrom2023-08-1719-13-45.png.2c4500bf2e4f39cf0edeaeaad35fb747.pngAfterfrom2023-08-1719-12-50.png.77dbb7bcdec6dc230aea686a824bb53e.png

Edited by Anna Nova
Picies
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

Sorry to wake this thread up again.Β  I just managed to get a no.match hair style no_selection to work without glitching with my Lelutka eyebrows (baulked at all that cash for things too flashy for me) by attaching the hair on the 'right hind leg' or 'right pec'.Β  Thankie @AmeliaJ08Β for the link.

Beforefrom2023-08-1719-13-45.png.2c4500bf2e4f39cf0edeaeaad35fb747.pngAfterfrom2023-08-1719-12-50.png.77dbb7bcdec6dc230aea686a824bb53e.png

Ah great! where did it want to attach by default?

2 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

But they still glitch with the eyelashes which is what the problem was.

3 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

Sorry to wake this thread up again.Β  I just managed to get a no.match hair style no_selection to work without glitching with my Lelutka eyebrows (baulked at all that cash for things too flashy for me) by attaching the hair on the 'right hind leg' or 'right pec'.

Β  Β Are those bangs unrigged though? Because that's kind of the crux of the issue. Rigged bangs that are a part of a hairstyle is no issue as they can easily be placed on a higher priority attachment point - unrigged bangs attached to your pecs is going to get weird when your avatar starts moving ..Β 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 294 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.