Friends List Issues

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was offline from this program for a few months. After a wipe of my drive, I reinstalled Firestorm. Since coming back online, my friends list been acting wonky. It will not always tell me if a friend is online. If I send a message, expecting them be offline, they pop on. Other times, people will see my account online but I am off. So not sure what seems to be going on. I did not try other clients, like the generic Second Life client or Singularity, because this seems to me more server related than local configurations.

Then a friend sent me this message this morning while I was offline:

Morning!
o said you were online on my tracker

I came online and replied what that meant, but she was offline until I sent the message, then she pops up online as I previously mentioned.

i have you on the tracker because it doesnt show that you're online
i dont know why that is
maybe your version is old or mine is

We use different programs to get online, so again, can not be a local configuration issue.

And how would she track me? My inventory is small and she has never sent me anything that I think would allow someone to modify online scripts to watch my avi.

Thanks for any helpful input about the friends list issue.

Oh so this issue is widespread. Okay, then. So is not just my account which I thought because no one else ever said they had issues with other friends. Seems been going on for awhile. I know they had layoffs before, and am sure they going to have more (my company still planning to do a third phase of layoffs this year, but as always they do not tell you WHEN. Ah, Big Corp$).

I will share this link, thanks.

Not sure what the tracker is though unless some addon on her account, like a "better than friends list" option. Will look into that.

I think that we're getting into showstopper territory here for some people. The issue is really severe. The friends list by now is completely unreliable. I'm seeing this across accounts. Accounts with small friends lists are just as affected as accounts with huge friends lists. The issue is also not solved by the workaround of logging into an empty sim and getting a correct state of the friends list for a brief moment. Immediately afterwards it will go out of sync. I see that when I'm logged in for a longer time. My friends list is packed. I relog in an empty sim to get a correct state and almost half my list, my previously falsly online showing friends are gone offline. I'm also convinced that many people don't realize that their friends list is broken.

Edited by xDancingStarx

18 minutes ago, Osiris Ronas said:

Oh so this issue is widespread. Okay, then. So is not just my account which I thought because no one else ever said they had issues with other friends. Seems been going on for awhile. I know they had layoffs before, and am sure they going to have more (my company still planning to do a third phase of layoffs this year, but as always they do not tell you WHEN. Ah, Big Corp$).

I will share this link, thanks.

Not sure what the tracker is though unless some addon on her account, like a "better than friends list" option. Will look into that.

It's so common that Firestorm displays a message on login about, maybe official client doesn't though?

It is a severe bug that seems to affect all and reading through forums has been happening for months.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

It's so common that Firestorm displays a message on login about, maybe official client doesn't though?

From the Grid Status Blog, which you should always check first if you suspect that there may be a system level issue:

Update - We’re still working on a complete fix, but wanted to share a work around for online friends not showing correctly.
1. Log in to Second Life and use the World/World Map and enter the search term Sandbox to locate a sparsely populated Sandbox region.
2. Teleport to that region and once you land, log out.
3. Log back in to your last location.
The status of friends online should appear correctly now. If it does not, try another lightly occupied region and repeat the same steps.

Jun 01, 2023 - 15:23 PDT
Edited by Rolig Loon

16 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

How many people suspect that there may be a system level issue with their friends lists, and how many people don't suspect anything and just think that some friends are offline?

Good questions.  Also, how many people don't ever click the Grid Status button at the top of pages in the forums, even out of curiosity?  How many residents never even come to the forums (or know that they exist)?  While we're at it, how many people really care whether their friends list is buggy, or have noticed that it is? So many things to think about ... and no real way to know the answers.  😉

1 hour ago, Osiris Ronas said:

The MP sells online trackers.  It only tracks online status.

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

It is a severe bug that seems to affect all and reading through forums has been happening for months.

I not noticed one on mine, and since it is usually filled with events or sims or things I not care about, I do not go looking. I just click login. When my VPN is on, Firestorm's ads on home screen are blocked. So I see nothing.

2 hours ago, xDancingStarx said:

How many people suspect that there may be a system level issue with their friends lists, and how many people don't suspect anything and just think that some friends are offline?

That is correct. I would not go thinking that what I am experiencing is something world wide (or server wide) catastrophic. Came here to first see if what (ever) issue am experiencing has been heard of before or not, before considering wider issues.

This has been a bug for years, not months.  One of my best friends, who passed away in 2021, was never able to see my online status, at any time between 2018 and 2021. I got into the habit of messaging him every time I came online, just to let him know I was there. And no, I hadn't blocked him or changed my settings or anything.  I could see him, but he couldn't see me.

23 hours ago, Osiris Ronas said:

I not noticed one on mine, and since it is usually filled with events or sims or things I not care about, I do not go looking. I just click login. When my VPN is on, Firestorm's ads on home screen are blocked. So I see nothing.

It's one of the messages that are in the window while "Connecting to world" etc, you get a variety of them (I assume they're randomly selected) but the friends online not showing bug is definitely one of them and has been displaying for a couple of months at least, it mentions a link to a JIRA (bug tracker) page.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 311 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.