SDR accounts

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello.

A few days ago I've seen some SDR accounts banned from a parcel/estate and out of groups. After this moment I've also seen such SDR accounts as like as "LimeSDR Resident" and others. A lot of these accounts are approx 2 month old.

Is someone able to tell the sense/reason of those SDR accounts and the full meaning of this "SDR", please? This would be very nice.

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't know what SDR stands for, but a bunch of avatars with similar names and start dates usually means they're bots. Some people don't like having bots on their regions, so that may be why they were banned.

That's exactly what I thought. Many thanks for your reply.

Let's see if anyone else can confirm our fears. And also what exactly SDR stands for.

I haven't been able to find any information specific to "SDR," but it's possible that these bots -- and they are almost certainly bots -- belong to one of the "families" or "cohorts" identified by Lou Netizen:

https://www.lounetizen.com/botdata/cohorts/

Unfortunately, Netizen doesn't give identifying information about any of these, except the BonnieBots, so you'll need to see if his description of any of these cohorts matches known characteristics of the ones you're talking about.

If they have to be banned by name, then it's possible that they are unregistered bots -- they haven't gone through the proper process of registering with Linden Lab -- because registered bots can be easily banned en masse using estate tools. If they are unregistered, they can also have abuse reports filed against them. LL doesn't provide residents with any means of actually identifying registered bots, so you should, if you like, AR them anyway . . . although I wouldn't count on LL doing anything about them, to be honest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

should, if you like, AR them anyway . . . although I wouldn't count on LL doing anything about them, to be honest.

Actually they DO do something.  I've reported hundred undeclared bots and they're all gone from sl search.

If something actually is a tos violation they'll act

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jacky Scharf said:

Let's see if anyone else can confirm our fears. And also what exactly SDR stands for.

I don't know what SDR means in relation to SL. I only know the letters stand for "Software Defined Radio" there is a website called websdr.org that connects you to many different ones that allow you to listen to lots of different radio bands including "Ham radio"

• Like 3

SDR stands for "Software Defined Radio". It is basically a digital radio that samples radio frequencies digitally, vs the more conventional analog radios we are all used to. They are in common use these days in ham radio. I know this because I am a ham radio operator myself.

I've noticed other avatar names related to RF ("Radio Frequency") that are associated with these bots. As I come across more of these radio-related names I will report them here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a bunch of roaming bots with SDR themed names. Which makes them reasonably easy to spot as part of their own certain horde. If they have anything actually to do with the theme they are named after they are good in hiding it.

One of the "radio" related bots just visited me. [name of alleged bot redacted] can be added to the SDR list, if anyone is keeping such a list.

EDIT: OK, never mind lol. I see now this thread serves no purpose.

Edited by M Peccable

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 321 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.