Skin for free classic legacy body & Genus head?

Ricky Shaftoe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm trying to create a passable female alt without spending too much money. I'm willing to spend a couple thousand L if need be, but I plan to use her just for animation testing, so she doesn't have to look fabulous. I do want her wearing mesh. But I'm having trouble understanding what skin(s) she needs to match her free Genus head to her free Legacy Classic body. For now, I'm just wearing an old Redgrave body skin.

I have BOM turned in the head HUD. I can't find a BOM setting for the body -- maybe it doesn't support it?

People point me to Not Found and say there's a free body skin there, but the only ones I see cost $375L -- I'm happy to pay that, but I'm not sure it's the right thing, and it turns my face gray. Likewise, I saw some Genus face skins there, but there were no demos available try, unless I'm missing something.

7 Deadly Skins is free join right now & has nice group gift and discount skins. They also have a couple for new avatars. The group is SEVEN.

Their skins are full body, with the head included. Look at the pictures to see which heads they're for. They have plenty for Genus.

The default body for their skins is Maitreya, but the free Midnight Madness body at LucyBody works with Maitreya skin & clothes.

You'll need the BOM applier at LucyBody for $L 250.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Turn BOM on in the Style section of the HUD as shown here...

R.png.93594d3866ab2395f0bed9aa7540d4e3.png

Thanks. I couldn't get the Styles section of the HUD to load. I'll try again.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well!  Good leads. I appreciate it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Thanks for the other suggestions as well!  Good leads. I appreciate it.

You have to enable media for that section of the HUD to work.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Because the TMP & Legacy HUDs connect to a server outside of Second Life

That section does, but as of 1.5 (and higher) update it's not needed either as they have chat commands now.

9 hours ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Look for the notecard inside the body's folder named [NEW] Local Chat Commands. For the BoM it'll be (type in local chat): /1meshbody bom on

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

That section does, but as of 1.5 (and higher) update it's not needed either as they have chat commands now.

Look for the notecard inside the body's folder named [NEW] Local Chat Commands. For the BoM it'll be (type in local chat): /1meshbody bom on

Even with media enabled, the Styles part of the HUD didn't work. But these chat commands do. Using them, I finally got BOM enabled. And I had to remove my body alpha after that. (Right?)

4 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Here's another free skin:

Rmeng Nura Skin Genus Free Gift - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Rmeng-Nura-Skin-Genus-Free-Gift/21824298

I like that one! Also the shape that came with it is cute, lol. For now, I'm wearing this skin. It includes face and body? I'm always confused about whether I need more than one "skin", like a face tatoo.

I have had a bit of an issue matching the Genus neck to the Legacy Classic free body. So far best results with the Slink option in the Genus HUD. Is that the best choice?

Edited by Ricky Shaftoe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

I have had a bit of an issue matching the Genus neck to the Legacy Classic free body.

You will. Genus is in the middle of a major overhaul update and their heads do not currently have the now standard universal neck. I'm not sure what the best setting is for your combo, but know that a fix is supposedly coming soon(tm). How long that'll be - anyone's guess, but the neck is being included in the update. Try different settings, play around with neck blenders if possible, and if all else fails - slap on a choker/necklace.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Try different settings, play around with neck blenders if possible, and if all else fails - slap on a choker/necklace.

For now, my hair mostly hides the issue, but that's not a great solution. Yeah, a choker might be a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

To activate BOM on the Legacy bodies is : type in local chat "/1meshbody bom on".

Yep, someone upthread pointed me to the notecard with chat commands. That worked perfectly -- once I remembered to take off the body alpha.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

For now, my hair mostly hides the issue, but that's not a great solution. Yeah, a choker might be a good idea.

You can also fiddle with the neck sizes. The free legacy body comes with 3 necksizes and I believe the free Genus head has 4 different ones.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

You can also fiddle with the neck sizes. The free legacy body comes with 3 necksizes and I believe the free Genus head has 4 different ones.

Good idea. That helped quite a bit, actually.

So, any advice on shoes for the free Legacy Classic body? I'm willing to pay up to 200L, say. Free is good too! Just looking for simple black high heels.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

So, any advice on shoes for the free Legacy Classic body? I'm willing to pay up to 200L, say. Free is good too! Just looking for simple black high heels.

Think shoes made for the TMP body, old name of the Legacy body, will fit the best. You can try "free dove", if it is still up.

10 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

I don't know if they'll fit, but Pure Poison is running a sale until the 10th - shoes in their Outlet room are 5L, down from 10L. You could demo those (I believe there are demos...don't quote me). Try different shoe sizes to see if any fit.

Also, KC Couture has free group gifts with a free group join - you could grab those and test them, too. Try all sizes again. If neither of those works, you could try places that offer unrigged sizes...but I'm not 100% sure which stores still do that. Try ROC, maybe? https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/170627

OH oh oh - ROC is older, so they still carry old TMP shoes for pretty cheap. Check and see if there's still an inworld store, too. But the MP has some things as well.

Edit: Just checked for ya since I logged in anyway - ROC's mainstore is gone, even though it's listed in the creator's profile/Classifieds. So just the MP for now, it looks like. Grab demos from there and shop that way if you find something you like.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I don't know if they'll fit, but Pure Poison is running a sale until the 10th - shoes in their Outlet room are 5L, down from 10L. You could demo those (I believe there are demos...don't quote me). Try different shoe sizes to see if any fit.

Also, KC Couture has free group gifts with a free group join - you could grab those and test them, too. Try all sizes again. If neither of those works, you could try places that offer unrigged sizes...but I'm not 100% sure which stores still do that. Try ROC, maybe? https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/170627

OH oh oh - ROC is older, so they still carry old TMP shoes for pretty cheap. Check and see if there's still an inworld store, too. But the MP has some things as well.

I second KC Couture shoes.  Search their MP, oldest first.  They're mostly around 50-100L for a fatpack of the older styles.  TONS of colors in that, most have a tinting option, too.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/136397

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

Even with media enabled, the Styles part of the HUD didn't work. But these chat commands do. Using them, I finally got BOM enabled. And I had to remove my body alpha after that. (Right?)

Not sure about the official viewer, but on Firestorm you need to enable media from sound & media>sounds tab tab, and then media autoplay from sounds & media>media (at the very top). Don't forget to turn them off after you're done unless you need those for something else. But aside of changing between default nail polish presets you can do everything via chat commands now. And yes, full body alpha is not needed when body is in BoM mode.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Edit: Just checked for ya since I logged in anyway - ROC's mainstore is gone, even though it's listed in the creator's profile/Classifieds. So just the MP for now, it looks like. Grab demos from there and shop that way if you find something you like.

It's very kind of you to do this! The ROC and KC Couture options both seem very close, but in every case the demo puts the shoe a bit too low and a bit too far back on the foot. The demos aren't modifiable. Maybe the full-price versions are?

31 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I second KC Couture shoes.  Search their MP, oldest first.

Oldest first was a good idea. I see plenty of shoes for "TMP", which I now realize is my body. But as I said above, while the sizing seems right, they're offset on my foot. And I can't edit them to change their position or rotation. Maybe that's a demo limitation?

1 hour ago, Ricky Shaftoe said:

It's very kind of you to do this! The ROC and KC Couture options both seem very close, but in every case the demo puts the shoe a bit too low and a bit too far back on the foot. The demos aren't modifiable. Maybe the full-price versions are?

Oldest first was a good idea. I see plenty of shoes for "TMP", which I now realize is my body. But as I said above, while the sizing seems right, they're offset on my foot. And I can't edit them to change their position or rotation. Maybe that's a demo limitation?

I don't think the shoes are mod. Let me check mine real quick...

Nope, no mod. Does the TMP body have foot states? It's possible that you need to adjust your foot height, if that's possible to do. Like high, medium, low heel, flat, etc?

Edit: Just tossed on the free Classic TMP to see if I could see what's going on. Yup, the TMP KC Couture shoes have a slightly odd fit, but you can fiddle with it.

Here's what I did:

Tossed on the body (mine's updated to 1.6) and feet. Tossed on the Small shape that's included with the body, just to get my proportions kind of basic. Then I put on KC Couture's KC- JOHANNA HEELS (they're free in-store). The fit with the anklet portion was definitely off, so I hopped into the Appearance - Edit, and increased the leg muscle slider a touch. Leave the foot size slider at 50. This is as close as I could get them. The outer edge does seem to have a small gap, but honestly - if anyone's looking at your feet that hard, that's on them, lol! The anklet part fits, and that's what's going to count:

image.png.0eb3ec170ce25a6959407cd9838c3e59.png

I'll tinker with some other pairs and let you know if I can find any that fit slightly better.

Edit Edit: Wait! I think I figured something out....back in a few mins.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 1

Okay! I think I came up with a solution. Try demos for Legacy. Not TMP, but shoes for the more up-to-date Legacy Female. Especially try at KC Couture. I just demoed a few pairs on sale for the weekend, and one that is not on sale, and they fit fairly well without any leg shape fiddling.

Try Legacy demos at KC Couture, Pure Poison, and N-Core. I know for sure those three have sales this weekend. There may be other stores worth checking, too. Cult, Phedora, etc. Those are usually in the sales and should carry Legacy.

The did rework the Classic TMP body before they rereleased it.  They claim it fits 95% of items made for the original TMP so it will be trial and error to find something that fits properly.  Look for this Logo when searching...

R(7).jpeg.20ae00eafd8b59e0d295eb7734d3d6b9.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The did rework the Classic TMP body before they rereleased it.  They claim it fits 95% of items made for the original TMP so it will be trial and error to find something that fits properly.  Look for this Logo when searching...

R(7).jpeg.20ae00eafd8b59e0d295eb7734d3d6b9.jpeg

Funny enough, I had no trouble with the straight up current Legacy F shoes I tried on earlier. Which basically means, if it works for the OP too, she could shop the normal weekend sales for shoes no problem.

Now clothes - that's a whoooooooole other thing. 😂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.