No published Deploy Plan for the week of 01/05/2023

Aishagain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just a "bounce" restart again for the Main Server regions today.

The Lindens appear to have abandoned any pretence of posting restart information in this thread.  Shame.

The only reliable source of information now will have to come via those able to attend Server User Group meetings, such as Inara Pey or Logan Elf, I suppose.

15 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

The Lindens appear to have abandoned any pretence of posting restart information in this thread. 

Your post is a "thread".  You just created the thread when you made the post.

Do you mean, in the "Second Life Server" topic?

Here's why I ask:  In a separate thread with a similar title "No deploy plans for [date]", I saw multiple posts that seemed to expect responses in THAT thread for a different week!

I'm not sure what a "topic" is in the context of the forums, but I"m pretty sure this give-and-take among posts is a "thread" in common nomenclature (which may or may not apply to forums). Anyway, here's some stuff from the Simulator User Group this afternoon, with non-release-related stuff omitted:

[2023/05/02 12:04]  Rider Linden: So.  Kicking things off in Simulator news.  Today we just bounced the main channel, so nothing has changed there.
[2023/05/02 12:06]  Rider Linden: Tomorrow morning we're going to be expanding the new simulator to the rest of the RC channels.  We'd hoped some of the changes there would have helped with the online friends issues, but it would seem that there are still some issues there.

[The perennial interminable interchange about troublesome teleports and region crossing ensues, interminably.]

[2023/05/02 12:25]  Brooklyn Michalski: wondering what projections for release of the PBR/Light stuff are? Preflight soon, any guesses how long after?
[2023/05/02 12:26]  Rider Linden: @Brooklyn, real soon now...
[2023/05/02 12:27]  Brooklyn Michalski: like summer soon? haha
[2023/05/02 12:27]  Rider Linden: The plan is to get that onto a special channel called "Preflight" and then if it is stable there open up a snack channel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A forum contains threads about topics.  Apparently, if we want information from Linden Lab about simulator releases, we now have to attend in-world meetings in the right place at the right time on the right day.  I work for a living so that isn't going to happen.  Not like I can do much to prepare for what's coming.  I'll keep running "release candidate" viewers unless they don't work well enough.  The current one, https://releasenotes.secondlife.com/viewer/7.0.0.579766.html, is very interesting and useful to me, even without simulator support for the PBR materials.

Thanks for the info, Qie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange, then that when I create the initial post I am told that I am creating a new Topic, not a new thread. Also any reply here is apparently a reply to the topic and not to the thread according to the header.  In my innocence I'd assumed that LL would know which was which.  Anyway I have quite lost the thread and so far as I am concerned the topic is now closed!

Edited by Aishagain

A discussion forum is hierarchical or tree-like in structure: a forum can contain a number of subforums, each of which may have several topics. Within a forum's topic, each new discussion started is called a thread and can be replied to by as many people as so wish.

• Thanks 1

A thread is not a Topic, it is a reply to a Topic:

• Home 
  • Forums 
  • Technology Forum 
  • Second Life Server 
  • Topics
  • No published Deploy Plan for the week of 01/05/2023 is one Topic.
  • Replies to the Topic is the Thread, where everyone goes blah, blah, blah, unless a moderator closes the Topic.
  • Then Aishagain starts a new Topic for another week...
Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Topic>thread...yes I get it now. 

As to why do I create the topics?

Once upon a time a Linden would post the details of the week's upcoming roll plans, so that those interested would see what or if new code was coming to their neck of SL.  That was the "Deploy Plan for the week.....".  Most found that informative, even useful. If something went awry as an unforeseen result of the new code they might post a response to the topic and thus create a thread (you see  I do get it) or if they are troubled sufficiently and wise they might also create a JIRA entry to report it directly to LL.

For some time those posts have either ceased or been greatly delayed, with no obvious reason given.  Mazidox or Maestro Linden, I forget which, even admitted they'd  been remiss and promised the situation would improve.  Unfortunately it has not.

My reason for posting the topics was simply to disseminate the roll info as soon as I could in the absence of official word and Logan Elf, among others, added the info as soon as we, the users, found out.

Apart from getting myself in a semantics tangle with one or two, I seem to have been elevated to the status of trolldom.

That being so I cease forthwith and hope that the information finds its way into this forum by other means.

Edited by Aishagain
additional paragraph
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 369 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.