The ability to create sub folders under "Outfits" is really missing

StilettoSara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi!
For a year now (maybe more) we have not been able to create subfolders under our main folder Outfits.

One answer got on this several of times, has been that I have to much inside my inventory.

I have always had all organized well inside my "Outfits", with not just bodies, but with names of heads and skins as well for each
sub folder and then sub folders again under the first sub folder to find things very fast, instead of scrolling in one endless list.

Yesterday I decided myself to finally clear out a lot of no longer used bodies/clothes
and most of all around 1000 saved outfits under the main folder called Outfits.

In a first step I cleared over 120.000 elements. My mistake was to not save, the already created subfolders (around 20).
It would have been so easy to just rename them. I should have kept them. Now I have only 5 subfolders left for
the "sub main folders" for some of the bodies I kept. Inside those subfolders I can create as many sub folders I need.

(I can name one of these folders to "outfits" and go from there worst case.

But still.....    

Is the feature with creating subfolders directly under the main folder OUTFITS coming back?
And if not, why?

To not have that feature is a little like throwing away all the drawers, shelves and clothes hangers
and just have one huge open space to throw ones clothes into.

Thanks for answers concerning this.

• Like 2

@StilettoSarayou are by no means the first to bemoan the passing of that feature (which has been gone for quite some time now).

I suggest that you pester Linden Lab over this by making a "feature request" via the LL jira system, since it will not return unless LL change the viewer.

https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa?

While you will undoubtedly garner much support in this forum, LL will not act on words written here.

Edited by Aishagain
if at first you don't suck seeds
  • Like 1

I just had a go at this using the official viewer

I was not able to make a new submain outfit folder by rightclicking

BUT...

I could make a new outfit folder from my current appearance (SAVE AS in My Oufits)

I then needed to go into INVENTORY, to MY OUTFITS main folder, to do stuff with the new submain folder

e.g. empty the new submain folder of all links by highlighting the items I wanted to delete

I was able to drag items from other My Outfit folders into and from this submain folder (they would be copies of the link, rather than being simply moved)

Once the folder was emptied, I could delete the submain folder itself, by dragging it into the trash.

So it seems that with a bit of trickery you can still make new outfit folders...

(unless of course I've completely missunderstood the issue here)

Edited by Emma Krokus

If you already had folders made in your Inventory under Outfits (and I have many as I organize with a touch of OCD), the neat thing is that you can still make sub-folders in these. So If I already had under a Casual folder three that were "Club", "Favourites", and "Basic" I can still create a fourth called "New", for example. I can not at the moment as we all know create a new folder at the Casual level though, sadly.

Thankfully I combined three of my top level folder items into one that left me two empty top level folders to rename and add things to, so I've now combined outfits from Fantasy-Goth, Cyber, and Ball (joint doll) into one, and two spares.

I, and others, really would like this org ability back, and to also have the Outfit (Inventory) structure reflected in the Outfits panel as well. Fingers crossed this comes back with the Inventory update they've been talking about.

Until they fix this, and if you're desperate, you could always take one of your top level folders, let's say dresses, create a subfolder in that called dresses and move all your dress outfits into that, rename the top level folder to Outfits, then take all your other top level folders (casual, formal, swim, lingerie, workout etc) and drag those into your one renamed folder or create subfolders in outfits with their names and move only the outfit folders into each of them, leaving you with several empty top level folders.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
spelling

Thank you for the suggestions and yes ...we should really send as much possible
about this topic ....so that they at least will be aware of it, in the same way as we are.

I know that I am far, far, from the only person that wish for this feature to return.

First I thought that it maybe was me having to much saved and I would soon have 300.000 Elements in total.

I have had endless of chats and I decided yesterday to erase all old bodies that I never will use again,
and by that all the outfits I had for those bodies. I had also a small hope that this would fix the "problem"
with not being able to add subfolders. To remove that feature was not the smartest decision ever, I must say.

I will think of this with Jira.

Yes I made one of the 5 last folders I have as a new fictive MAIN Outfits folder. Directly under the systems Outfits folder.
....and started to organize in subfolders under that folder......

But new ppl at 2nd will never have that feature and will have to have a LOOOOONG list with 1000's of saved outfits and only names
of the folders "separate" the different bodies/heads etc of what ppl named their save outfits.

Best Regards Sara

• 4 months later...

@StilettoSara..frankly no, sorry.  I never used that facility, so I never noticed its passing.

The way I organise my inventory, I don't need it.  The fact that on two accounts over 15 years I have a total inventory count or just over 100k suggests a certain mind-set!

Sorry to be no help.  My best guess would be about 2-3 years ago.

Using the Cool VL Viewer, you may create sub-folders in such ”v2-specific” folders...

Still using a v1 folders layout (with the exceptions of the ”Current Outfit” and ”Marketplace” root folders), my viewer just considers those v2-specific folders as ”normal” folders, and you may manipulate them as you see fit (e.g. create sub-folders in them or right out delete them, which is what I always do after I log in with my viewer, returning from a v2+ viewer (testing) session, grumbling and pestering as those $h1tty v2+ viewers create useless, cumbersome stuff in my inventory I never asked or even permitted them to create !).

For me, such folders are just noise in my inventory; since week one after I joined SL, I created an ”Avatars” root sub-folder, to store all my avatar's forms (and for each form, various outfits in sub-folders for that form); I therefore never needed a ”My Outfits” folder...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.