First Generation Linden Homes

diamond Marchant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With the possibility of a mole or linden reading this thread, can you please leave some of the first generation homes packaged for us to use on our mainland parcels(or Bellisseria sky platforms), perhaps have some put in the Molemart for people to grab who feel a bit nostalgic or just enjoy the design.  Also the various textures, sculpt maps, etc.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, benchthis said:

Nowhere would be optimal introduce theme water world pleeease (or consider a betatrial). (A Rated placed far away but optional would be sweet for Yacht parking mostly, nude sunbathing, & swimming. Walkup parcel rentals. Yah I guess your right with the mainland but it's too laggy

This topic is about First Generation Linden Homes. I started it because people seemed to want to talk about it in another place, but it was off-topic there. So we can talk about it here and be on topic.

"Theme Water World" is a different topic. I agree with @Abnor Mole, you are describing Mainland. If you perceive Bellisseria to be less laggy, it is because it may have been designed in a way that reduces lag, sometimes, maybe, hard to say. If you turn Belli into mainland water world, would you not just get Mainland lag?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Istelathis said:

With the possibility of a mole or linden reading this thread, can you please leave some of the first generation homes packaged for us to use on our mainland parcels(or Bellisseria sky platforms), perhaps have some put in the Molemart for people to grab who feel a bit nostalgic or just enjoy the design.  Also the various textures, sculpt maps, etc.  

You know the textures are still available at the infohubs for each theme, right? You could probably knock together a Meadowbrook or Tahoe clone with those and some basic building skills; but I wouldn't bank on the Lindens encouraging people to bung vintage 100+li prim houses into the skies of Bellisseria, because mesh exists now.

I'm all for keeping a few sims of older homes around for history buffs and those who wish they still lived in 2009, but I do think they need to remain in their original landscaping for that to work. (Naturally I would also fill these showhomes with pre-mesh furniture, and when I say 'fill', I mean 'install a bed, a sofa, some poseballs and a profile picture on the wall.')

• Like 5

@Sparkle Bunny I think we could bring down a lot of those homes quite a lot by changing their physics, I think they average around 80-90 each and with just a quick modification I imagine they could be brought down to 35-45 Li each.  I have recreated one such home on my own, and had a lot of fun doing so - I was able to bring it to 30 Li with a second floor as well as a few extra prims thrown in and modifications.

Snapshot_1341.thumb.png.66bd4cd8fb686c1ebac45b9f926b444d.png

It was a fun project, far from perfect but I enjoy having it on the mainland.  The problem is, I would have to abandon my property to access all of the homes in the first generation in order to duplicate them with any accuracy.  My own copy uses less prims than the original, but is far from a perfect replica and there are a lot of mistakes where the prims don't line up perfectly, or the textures are not aligned well.  I also wouldn't have access to the sculpt maps for things like the logs in the fireplaces, bushes, or any other features I would like to add.  I do have all of the textures, but once the first generation homes are gone I think most of them will just be gone for all of the other members who did not grab them while they could. 

The fantasy homes would be really difficult, because I think a lot of them use sculpts in their design.  Plus there are scripts in all of the homes to change the textures, I think it would be pretty cool to have access to these old homes, despite not being mesh and not up to par with the latest designs.  

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I also wouldn't have access to the sculpt maps for things like the logs in the fireplaces, bushes, or any other features I would like to add.

Again, I think there's a general reluctance to encourage the continued use of sculpties. Plenty of heavily-discounted third-party stuff still on Marketplace, though, if you're that determined to avoid mesh.

14 hours ago, Istelathis said:

Plus there are scripts in all of the homes to change the textures.

Which is a major reason why LL are getting rid of them; texture changing is done via an obsolete external server which they'd like to shut down already, so those scripts aren't going to work even if they give you the build. You'd have to insert your own texture-changing scripts, even assuming the homes were moddable.

Honestly, at this point I think LL would prefer to consign them to history entirely; but if they're going to claim eminent domain over parcels that have been inhabited for over 13 years then, yeah, a handful of heritage sims and a few freebies doesn't seem too much to ask by way of compensation. OK, so they've already spent the past three years doling out entire lovely new continents of compensation, but there hasn't been a whole lot for sculpty aficionados in there.

(I'd actually love to know whether any v.1 homes have been held since day 1, since it seems to me that early adopters gonna early adopt, and also 13 years is a loooong time.)

• Like 5

@Sparkle BunnyNeither of us can really speak with any level of authority regarding the views of LL,  or of the knowledge that the moles, lindens, or engineers have regarding how or what servers are involved when it comes to the texture changing scripts.  As far as our own tastes, we certainly have the capacity to express our own desires as to what SL should or should not be, but for everyone else, well it varies as much as we see on the mainland, where there are heaps of mesh homes, prim homes, sculpties, people running antiquated lso, and so on.  I don't think there is any real right or wrong view when it comes to people's individual tastes, how they wish to build upon their parcels, if they want to use the latest mesh or build entirely with prims and low resolution textures.  Ultimately, it is up to LL if they want to provide the houses, textures, sculpt maps, and original scripting or if they want to even leave a region open with the first generation homes.

All I am asking for, is in the unlikely event that they do read my post that they consider it for anyone that would like to have the older homes.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 2:06 PM, AzureWaves said:

The problem with 1st gen is there's no community like on Bellisseria. It's not connected.

I was very confused in 2015 when I joined SL as a Premium Member.  I could walk or fly all around the (old) Premium Continent (which I thought were lovely at the time)... but I couldn't figure out how to get anywhere else (like Mainland) from there.  It took another year or 2 of logging to SL nearly every day before someone (my partner, Doc) showed me Blake Sea and MAINLAND and Whoa 😲  I knew immediately when I saw all those contiguous Regions... THIS is where I belong!   Thank you Linden Lab for making this huge world! 😍

• Like 6

Yes, you can still choose all 4 1st gen themes from the pulldown, so I believe they can be claimed.

(I don't have a hopper now either, but if you just log a non-premium avie into secondlife.com, and then change the page to Land Page , you can see what's available, you just can't claim anything.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Yes, you can still choose all 4 1st gen themes from the pulldown, so I believe they can be claimed.

(I don't have a hopper now either, but if you just log a non-premium avie into secondlife.com, and then change the page to Land Page , you can see what's available, you just can't claim anything.)

It is odd that they are still available, if they are going away what is the use to let people choose them? 

I would be really mad if I got a home and after some months I got an eviction notice, (even if it was to make way for a hyperspace bypass).

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 484 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.