Right Click "Wear Items"

Charalyne Blackwood

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

LL could just ban the word wear. They have other filters so the cops won't arrest you.

Wear is simply useless.  But a wonderful griefing tool.

So much content still has the word (Wear) on the object name.  Only a few enlightened designers seem to understand the correct term is Add.

If I want to watch a newbie panic, sent them a hat that says "wear".  There are thousands of them still around.  They lose their hair.  Real funny.

Or send them something to hold in their hands. It will say "wear", and their hands and possible other attached items will vanish.  Very funny.

Why does LL encourage griefing newbies?  

Maybe if we try hard enough, we can..wear them down.

To confuse matters much more, in my opinion:

Years ago, the "most common" way to have a scripted "box" that you open, is to "WEAR" it (so you don't have to Rez it)!

Can someone help me understand how that fits into all this?

Why doesn't "wearing" the box end up with you just all nekkie wearing a box?  Or does it?  And if it does, isn't that rather silly?

I've always hated those new "wear and click to open" boxes. Why? Because, I'm old enough that I get a box and I'm not sure whether to Wear it, Rez it, or make a wish and cast a spell.

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Years ago, the "most common" way to have a scripted "box" that you open, is to "WEAR" it (so you don't have to Rez it)!

Why doesn't "wearing" the box end up with you just all nekkie wearing a box?  Or does it?  And if it does, isn't that rather silly?

I've always hated those new "wear and click to open" boxes. Why? Because, I'm old enough that I get a box and I'm not sure whether to Wear it, Rez it, or make a wish and cast a spell.

You Add the box too. We just call it wearing boxes because it's funnier.

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

A good number of those items were made during a time when creators actually bothered to have their items attach to proper, sensible and varied points on the body as opposed to just using the default (Right Hand) and pretending it is perfectly fine because"it doesn't care where it is attached to, it is rigged mesh!"

Back then it didn't often matter because the average user wasn't likely to have anything on that particular attachment point. Anthromorphs usually would (and let me tell you, that got irksome even then) but still ...

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

I do care, I LOVE the 'wear' option, when used correctly.

I 'wear' hair, because I WANT the new hair to replace the old hair, and because I'm smart enough to take my time and not miss click, and because I don't want to end up wearing two hairs at once, and because I damn well check all my hairs attach to the skull.

Then you're part of a tiny minority of people who actually care that attachments are attached to relevant points on the body. I used to do the same for the same reasons.

Which turns out to be less than ideal and causes its own problems with multiple things on the same point (that might not even show up on your own screen). It's a far better approach to treat an avatar as having a pool of attachment points that happen, for legacy reasons alone, to align with points on the avatars body.

I stopped caring about wear when I stopped treating my avatars appearance as a constant ongoing progression and making saved set outfits.

Schooling newbies that they need to make up for creators doing "half a job" and manually defining attachment points for everything is not and never will be a solution. 

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Then you're part of a tiny minority of people who actually care that attachments are attached to relevant points on the body. I used to do the same for the same reasons.

When feral, I've had to wear things on "different" attachment points than usual (or different than the default for the attachment). Because different body shapes / heights / postures make different attachment points work differently!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Schooling newbies that they need to make up for creators doing "half a job" and manually defining attachment points for everything is not and never will be a solution. 

But sabotaging the UI because "I'm a tpv dev and I can, bwahahahahahaha!" then teaching noobs to do it all wrong, then having a "why am i wearing 38 hairs" helpline IS a "solution"?

Frankly, your "cure" is worse than the "disease".

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Gosh, I've always taken my shoes off before adding another pair.  Silly me.  It would kind of suck though if I just wore that new pair of shoes and my hair came off.  😂

Never happens to me.

Have you tried NOT wearing your hair on your feet, or your shoes on your skull, or everything on your right hand ?

Try it, you might like it.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent said:

Never happens to me.

Have you tried NOT wearing your hair on your feet, or your shoes on your skull, or everything on your right hand ?

Try it, you might like it.

I'm speaking as a new person who wouldn't know anything about that but then, you knew that, right?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

But sabotaging the UI because "I'm a tpv dev and I can, bwahahahahahaha!" then teaching noobs to do it all wrong, then having a "why am i wearing 38 hairs" helpline IS a "solution"?

Frankly, your "cure" is worse than the "disease".

There are no one size fits all fixes to any of SL's problems that wont incur misery points from oldbies. This stumbling block has essentially stalled all UI development in the viewer for over a decade. 

Frankly, at this point complaining oldbies shouldn't be a concern. Sure, they complain and moan when their workflows are changed, but they're here and complaining. 

A new user struggling, even with assistance, who thinks the "game" is "broken" isn't going to complain.

They just leave and write the whole adventure off as a dumb mistake.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm speaking as a new person who wouldn't know anything about that but then, you knew that, right?

So n your nooB-rp, which would you prefer:

A: Taught how to wear stuff sensibly

B: Pointless UI sabotage, being taught wrong, and spending 50 mins on hold calling the "Why am I wearing 38 hairs" Helpline

"You have reached the 38 Haies Helpline, my name is Caffeine von Crepe, how can I make your life more difficult today?"

Just now, Zalificent said:

This shouldn't need to happen.

If you need to taught how to use a system, that system is garbage. 

B: Pointless UI sabotage, being taught wrong, and spending 50 mins on hold calling the "Why am I wearing 38 hairs" Helpline

This seems more and more like it's only going to affect you, and you're not leaving SL over this .. so .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A new user struggling, even with assistance, who thinks the "game" is "broken" isn't going to complain.

They just leave and write the whole adventure off as a dumb mistake.

And yet, your plan is to make things worse for them? 

Because a handful of "OLDBIES" that you seem to want to ignore in most of your posts say "I always add".

By that standard you shouldn't be listening to anyone whose account is over 10 yrs old.

7 minutes ago, Zalificent said:

"You have reached the 38 Haies Helpline, my name is Caffeine von Crepe, how can I make your life more difficult today?"

I'd actually just prefer they removed Wear but please continue.  It's making me chuckle.  😂

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

This shouldn't need to happen.

If you need to taught how to use a system, that system is garbage. 

This seems more and more like it's only going to affect you, and you're not leaving SL over this .. so .. 

I've never had anyone complain when they've added something but there have been plenty inworld and here in the forums upset when they wear something and other things pop off.  So, we teach ADD as do most people.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

By that standard you shouldn't be listening to anyone whose account is over 10 yrs old.

More like anyone over 1-2 years at most.

If you're here a decade .. then nothing anyone does to the viewer can possibly change your participation and there will always be a TPV prepared to cater to your specific requirements.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd actually just prefer they removed Wear but please continue.  It's making me chuckle.  😂

I would like to remove wear .. however the verbiage throughout the platform and in conversation is such that having an option named "wear" seems a requirement, even if it's actually a renamed "add".

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I've never had anyone complain when they've added something but there have been plenty inworld and here in the forums upset when they wear something and other things pop off.  So, we teach ADD as do most people.  

Ah! Never had to explain to a noob taught "always add" why they cant add anything.

"you have 38 attachments, take some stuff OFF first"

16 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

More like anyone over 1-2 years at most.

If you're here a decade .. then nothing anyone does to the viewer can possibly change your participation and there will always be a TPV prepared to cater to your specific requirements.

I would like to remove wear .. however the verbiage throughout the platform and in conversation is such that having an option named "wear" seems a requirement, even if it's actually a renamed "add".

As long as it DOES the same thing, that's perfectly fine.  Would it be difficult to rework wear so it didn't knock something off?

14 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

oh no .. I wore all this hair .. ON PURPOSE

wont someone please .. help .. swoons

Someone's grasping at straws now so I'm outta here.  🙄

Edited by Rowan Amore

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Would it be difficult to rework wear so it didn't knock something off?

Just lock the current attachment via RLV ;-). 

"Wear" basically stopped being useful (enough) once "Add" was added. It just clutters the menu and is bad UX. LL should really have some decent UX people streamline a bunch of the UI flows in the viewer to follow modern SL habits.

But maybe make "Add" the default and only "Wear/Replace" when pressing Shift?

3 minutes ago, Kathrine Jansma said:

But maybe make "Add" the default and only "Wear/Replace" when pressing Shift?

YES!

Make SL easier for noobs by hiding options and adding complexity to the UI!

Right click and pick from a context menu? TOO EASY!

Maybe it should be left control  + right alt + F11 + left click on Add to make the UI more intuitive and streamlined and modern, right?

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Here we are - people pretending that there's some massive problem that needs to be solved that is in actuality caused by lag (out of their control), simply not paying attention (within their control) and/or being in too much of a rush (also within their control) - among other things which all amount to the following: This is a non-issue that has a solution which has already been outlined and which does not require the moving or removal of a function.

Imagine that!

I don't care how much it frustrates some - this falls into the above categories.

^ THIS!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.