I think i need help.

Oceanna Carissa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I have only one word to say to start my post: OMG!!!!! 

I joined SL in 2009 and played for less than 6 months. I didn't find it interesting.

I decided to come back today and holy crap.... avatars are complicated now. Now have to buy a mesh body separately from the mesh head.

How can I get there??? ohh lala!!!!!

I got Genus Strong head and Legacy Classic body for free because OMG!!! it's soooo expensive otherwise. It has become a luxury to play on SL. 
I have no money to buy lindens and spend on items 1000 L$-2000 L$ AND +++.

Do you have any skin and shape suggestions to make both fit and look as realistic as possible? Maybe free gift for skin and shape? 
You have LM's ???

And what is BOM (Bake on Mesh) soooo complicated (I roll my eyes)

Are there people who can help me? Maybe do you know some video tutorials to suggest me to work my Genus Strong head and Legacy Classic body???

thanks in advance.

Here's a recent video that will help you set up a free avatar with both the Genus head and Legacy classic body. 

I would also suggest you look up the Lucybody. You get that free through a midnight madness. However you will have to use the skins that come in the hud if you don't buy the bom option (250). You might be able to match well enough though. Reasoning is it fits most maitreya clothing so you'll have many more options for clothing.

• Like 1

@Oceanna Carissa  There is nothing that says you have to buy anything.

The classic avatar is pretty much just as it was in 2009. There is nothing requiring you to use the newer stuff. Take your time. Figure out if SL is more to your liking now before you start spending money.

If you go with a new mesh body and/or head and stick with BOM enabled items, then the current mesh bodies and clothes are simpler to use than the old classic avatar and sculpty boots and clothes. Once BOM is enabled you never need to use the HUDs. You can teat the avatar just like you did in 2009. Wear system layers.

However... understanding all the promotional hype and integrating all that and applier tech is initially over whelming. Take it slow and play with the demos. None of it is all that complicated.

• Like 4

The free Atenea body on the Midnight Madness board at LucyBody is easier to find clothes for than the Legacy Classic body. It fits Maitreya Lara mesh clothes, and since Maitreya Lara is the most popular female mesh body, there are plenty of free clothes that fit it.

BOM or Bakes on Mesh works the same way as wearing system layer clothes does on the default system body. The only differences are that the clothing textures go onto the mesh body instead of going onto system body, there is no functional skirt layer, and if your body goes red, that means you need to remove an alpha (invisibility) layer. The Atenea body is free, but the applier that makes it BOM compatible is $L 250. Buy that after you get the body, and you'll be set. It works fine with the free Genus head.

(I sent you a link inworld too.)

^ This video is a year old, so much of the free stuff has changed. FAGA has some free hair now if you Subscribe to them at their store, no Group needed.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

As with all things fashionable, what once was and discarded becomes the thing to have again. So many tattoo layers and system layer clothing I discarded from 2008 to this carnation, only to find it is once again the best thing since slices bread, lol. 

• Like 3

no-country.gif

... and got some excellent help from folks here, hope you do too.  

As mentioned by Nalates, none of it is all that complicated  - but I will add the word "eventually". 

Here is what I found really helpful - every step while I was building my avi I saved it as an "outfit" & used a naming convention to easily let me know where I was, that way I could easily see what was happening & go back to different "versions" if needed (using FireStorm viewer, I dunno if the LL viewer has an outfit function like that).

Good luck ! 

Edited by Horus Salubrius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Oceanna Carissa said:
Hi,

I have only one word to say to start my post: OMG!!!!! 

I joined SL in 2009 and played for less than 6 months. I didn't find it interesting.

I decided to come back today and holy crap.... avatars are complicated now. Now have to buy a mesh body separately from the mesh head.

How can I get there??? ohh lala!!!!!

I got Genus Strong head and Legacy Classic body for free because OMG!!! it's soooo expensive otherwise. It has become a luxury to play on SL. 
I have no money to buy lindens and spend on items 1000 L$-2000 L$ AND +++.

Do you have any skin and shape suggestions to make both fit and look as realistic as possible? Maybe free gift for skin and shape? 
You have LM's ???

And what is BOM (Bake on Mesh) soooo complicated (I roll my eyes)

Are there people who can help me? Maybe do you know some video tutorials to suggest me to work my Genus Strong head and Legacy Classic body???

thanks in advance.

There is also a new mesh starter avatar in the works that we are just waiting for  to be released from Linden lab..

It will come with wardrobe and hair and things.. Plus have it's own mesh body and mesh head..

Like a lot of the bodies, there will still be the waiting time to see what 3rd party things get created for it, but since  everyone will get a development kit , there should be a lot learning from the kit.. Plus those that just want to help with the new user experience..

So in time that can be a really good thing for  new users and those returning to the grid..

We were told it should be released soon, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long and give you and others another option to choose from..

I would say for the mesh head and body you have, and also not wanting to spend any money.. The Marketplace is going to be your best bet..

There are a lot of group gifts, but a lot of times to get into them, you are going to have to pay a group entry fee. Which some  charge pretty good price for and a lot of times the gift doesn't fit the group fee and may only have  one item if any at all, that works for your  body or head..

If you are looking for free or gifts that don't cost anything on the marketplace.. You can use this search term before the things you are searching for and it will clear a lot of the  demos and other things out of the way ,so you can get down to business..

The first thing is, if you want something NOT to show up in your search, you type in all caps, NOT. Then the things you don't want showing up.. NOT DEMO then search term stops demos from showing up mostly.. you will still need to refine the search for them all..

So it will look like this if I am looking for free stuff or gifts under apparel.. NOT DEMO Free  or  NOT DEMO Gift . .. You also want to refine your search as well , which you will find on the lower part of the menu on the left side.

This is pretty much the settings you want.

You first type in your first search at the Home page to get to the rest of the settings.. NOT DEMO Genus, Then do your first search at the home page, Then set the setting to these..

This is an example of just searching for free Genus things..  Once your search term is set you can go to the side menu for more specific things, but you want to set things up before you  go there.. So once you have things set in the settings, do another search, then go to the refine search and set those.

Just look at these images as two steps.

step one

set to these and search.

854379944_Marketplacesearchtip.thumb.png.9a63780433ec23eca34642d1f10f37a2.png

Step two

Once you get yor search set for genus things, then refine  your search, because you may still get some demos.. This pretty much clears the rest out..

Check the No Demo box and then the Refine Search Button.

1655419103_marketplacesearchtip2.thumb.png.d3015649c25ea007ad2c335691f3cdae.png

You can do the same for anything, like classic body or whatever..  If you want gifts, you just type in  NOT DEMO Gifts .. If you don't want a certain store to show up , You just put in  NOT  and then the store owner name which is right above the row of stars in each add.. Then always put in what you are looking for after.

I Hope this helps some..:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 494 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.