5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If "pfp" if a "Personal Forum Picture" or something, I am not referring to that at all.  I am referring to the many, many, pictures which Scylla posts on the Forum.

Oh, ok, sorry. Yes, I was comparing her pfp to mine. I do think I recall seeing some of her photos in which she is wearing her hair to the side. And, no way you would know this (well, you could have asked to meet up in SL, but you haven't), but I have several different looks in SL.

Thx for the clarification!

PS: I would hate to see Scylla's face and hear her groan when she sees you comparing my look to hers, ugh...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Ah, well i don't look at the quotes if i know it's mine. Blame the blogrum software..

Apparently the forum decided I should get the compliment, so I'll take it!

posts notes.png

PermaRuthed, I love it lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Oh, ok, sorry. Yes, I was comparing her pfp to mine. I do think I recall seeing some of her photos in which she is wearing her hair to the side. And, no way you would know this (well, you could have asked to meet up in SL, but you haven't), but I have several different looks in SL.

Thx for the clarification!

PS: I would hate to see Scylla's face and hear her groan when she sees you comparing my look to hers, ugh...

Peeves TIL ("Today I Learned"):

- Not everyone thinks comparing them to @Scylla Rhiadra is a compliment! (Poor Scylla!)

- "PFP" is a thing. Using search, I see someone mentioned "pfp" in context of the dogs in my profile picture last Tuesday; otherwise, "pfp" has only been used 12 times in the current Forums beside today. 🙂

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Ah, well i don't look at the quotes if i know it's mine. Blame the blogrum software..

Apparently the forum decided I should get the compliment, so I'll take it!

Peeve: Good to know!  I had assumed all this time, that only the "outer quoted person" gets notified. If everyone in the "nested quotes" gets notified, that makes sense. All the more reason to "tag" someone when quoting multiple levels, so it is clear who you are replying too.

The most common Peeve about "quotes" is, if you "quote" wrong, it attributes the quote to the wrong person. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Removed extra "multiple"
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeves TIL ("Today I Learned"):

- Not everyone thinks comparing them to @Scylla Rhiadra is a compliment! (Poor Scylla!)

- "PFP" is a thing. Using search, I see someone mentioned "pfp" in context of the dogs in my profile picture last Tuesday; otherwise, "pfp" has only been used 12 times in the current Forums beside today. 🙂

Yes, I knew what TIL meant lol.

You may have gotten the wrong impression on how I feel about my avi being compared with Scylla's; I do not feel it is not a compliment for me, I just don't know how Scylla will feel about someone thinking I look like her lol. And really, no matter how amazing or gorgeous or whatever I feel someone else's avatar is, I do not want to look like them; I spend a lot of time trying to make my avatar a representation of who I see myself as. I see soooo many just absolutely gorgeous avis (a couple that belong to very active Forum participants), and am just smitten, but that is their look, and not mine.

Not trying to take offense to what you said (though maybe we are supposed to phrase everything in the form of a peeve here, or the thread might get closed?), just clarifying things a bit, hopefully. 🙂

I have never seen pfp in any context in the Forum, am more familiar with it other places, like Discord, Tumblr, the few things I follow on Twitter, and on some computer artists' websites or social media accounts.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Good to know!  I had assumed all this time, that only the "outer quoted person" gets notified. If everyone in the "nested quotes" gets notified, that makes sense. All the more reason to "tag" someone when quoting multiple multiple levels, so it is clear who you are replying too.

The most common Peeve about "quotes" is, if you "quote" wrong, it attributes the quote to the wrong person. 

If you are a USian and in doubt about any quote. attribute it to Emerson.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Oh good lord. Are we this short of things to talk about???? 😮

Maybe we need someone to start up another child avatar thread . . . can never have too many!

1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

If there is more than one Scylla, perhaps you could warn us of where these perils lie? 😉😂😂

I know of at least two, and have met one in-world. She wasn't nearly as monstrous as I am.

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

It might have been the bad old days when she first came to the predecessor forum? Maybe I'm misremembering..

But it makes for an epic mythic origin story, dunnit? 😁

Oh, I don't remember this, but the RA was pretty insane sometimes, so maybe!

I did sort of unintentionally imitate myself, briefly, when I showed up here in 2013/14 using my Laskya account, but I got sussed out almost immediately, so that doesn't really count. Too good an imitation, I guess?

1 hour ago, Roxy Couturier said:

Or... She bears a strong resemblance to me 😉

I'd be good with that!

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The way she wears her hair, and also her facial shape (to a lesser extent) and expression remind me of @Scylla Rhiadra.

I can also see that!

Ok, I still do not see it though. In her pfp, Scylla has a middle part and her hair tucked behind her ears; mine has a side part and is the opposite of tucked behind my ear on my right side (the point of that hair, there are 3 levels of falling forward, and I use the most extreme one).

I do wear it in a side part quite frequently though. There are probably about 30 styles I wear quite regularly, so there's some variation! Usually though I part it to the left.

We do both have sorta pointy chins I suppose.

Well, now I feel self-conscious . . . !

Oh expressions? In Scylla's pfp I read her as sweet and friendly, and looking up at the viewer almost adoringly. I feel I kinda suck at reading face expressions though, and knowing Scylla, I would guess the 'adoring gaze' is likely NOT what she is going for in her pfp lol.

My pic here is a slightly modified crop of one that was part of my "Intimacies" project, and actually was intended to look pretty adoring, or at least very fond, because it shows me waiting for my partner (I imagined my RL one) who is late.

https://flic.kr/p/2mUMVEQ

I cropped and modified it for here because I wanted a "friendly" and sort of "open" look, and that seemed to mostly fit the bill.

And of course I do utterly adore everyone here, sooooo . . . 😏

OK TIME TO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE!!!!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Extra word
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
58 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The way she wears her hair, and also her facial shape (to a lesser extent) and expression remind me of @Scylla Rhiadra.

I can also see that!

Thank God! I already know that I'm insane, but thought that perhaps I was also going blind! ❤️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

...or Mark Twain.

Wow, I guess. I am not familiar with any Twain quotes except one, though:

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

And then, guess what? In searching for the quote so I would get it exactly right, I found out the quote was attributed to Churchill, except he said it about a single person ('he' and not 'men' or 'they'). Likely mangled from what Churchill said; I found no references to Twain, and Churchill said it in 1936, 26 years after Twain was dead.

So it turns out I don't even know *one* Twain quote lol. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh good lord. Are we this short of things to talk about???? 😮

Maybe we need someone to start up another child avatar thread . . . can never have too many!

I know of at least two, and have met one in-world. She wasn't nearly as monstrous as I am.

Oh, I don't remember this, but the RA was pretty insane sometimes, so maybe!

I did sort of unintentionally imitate myself, briefly, when I showed up here in 2013/14 using my Laskya account, but I got sussed out almost immediately, so that doesn't really count. Too good an imitation, I guess?

I'd be good with that!

I can also see that!

I do wear it in a side part quite frequently though. There are probably about 30 styles I wear quite regularly, so there's some variation! Usually though I part it to the left.

Well, now I feel self-conscious . . . !

My pic here is a slightly modified crop of one that was part of my "Intimacies" project, and actually was intended to look pretty adoring, or at least very fond, because it shows me waiting for my partner (I imagined my RL one) who is late.

https://flic.kr/p/2mUMVEQ

I cropped and modified it for her because I wanted a "friendly" and sort of "open" look, and that seemed to mostly fit the bill.

And of course I do utterly adore everyone here, sooooo . . . 😏

OK TIME TO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE!!!!

I am sorry if this has all made you uncomfortable Scylla. I apologize, I am the one who started it all. 😳

I don't understand how the pointy chin thing made you feel self-conscious, I did not mean it as a criticism, but I apologize for that, too. ☹️

That pic is absolutely gorgeous omg! Your photographs are just amazing.

Again, sorry, I will shut up about you, ugh...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."

And then, guess what? In searching for the quote so I would get it exactly right, I found out the quote was attributed to Churchill, except he said it about a single person ('he' and not 'men' or 'they'). Likely mangled from what Churchill said; I found no references to Twain, and Churchill said it in 1936, 26 years after Twain was dead.

If you know any quotes by Samuel Clemens, that would work too.  (This is a joke, they are the same person.)

Peeve: @Persephone Emerald Strangely, when I looked at the Mark Twain quotes, I also did not see any that I felt "everyone should know".  However, I checked for Will Rogers (sometimes compared to Mark Twain although they were two generations apart) and found a lot: https://www.willrogers.com/quotes  Both men commented on "politics" (as seen by today's standards).

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

Just now, CaerolleClaudel said:

I am sorry if this has all made you uncomfortable Scylla. I apologize, I am the one who started it all. 😳

I don't understand how the pointy chin thing made you feel self-conscious, I did not mean it as a criticism, but I apologize for that, too. ☹️

That pic is absolutely gorgeous omg! Your photographs are just amazing.

Again, sorry, I will shut up about you, ugh...

Lol Caer! No apologies necessary! I am just jesting! (And I DO have a somewhat pointy chin! I've spent enough time on my avi to know it! What really makes me self-conscious is my nose, though.)

And thanks re. my pics! (And to Roxy who also said something kind about them earlier!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Mark Twain was an American humorist who is often quoted, sometimes erroneously. Churchill is likewise frequently quoted and misquoted. When in doubt, say a quote is from one of them. 😆 

• Like 3

Just now, Persephone Emerald said:

Mark Twain was an American humorist who is often quoted, sometimes erroneously. Churchill is likewise frequently quoted and misquoted. When in doubt, say a quote is from one of them. 😆 

I was certain that one was Abraham Lincoln.

Or was it Marilyn Monroe????

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

my pics! (And to Roxy who also said something kind about them earlier!)

I started it by comparing you two and making sure to say it was a complement!

IMG_9070.jpeg

Edited by Love Zhaoying
Huff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Misquote memes also often include Abraham Lincoln IIRC.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/63002/9-popular-quotes-commonly-misattributed-abe-lincoln

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yes, I fairly often see a quote somewhere that is attributed to Lincoln saying something about Churchill quotes. Maybe in someone's sig here?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Yes, I fairly often see a quote somewhere that is attributed to Lincoln saying something about Churchill quotes. Maybe in someone's sig here?

Innula has a signature quote like that.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I was certain that one was Abraham Lincoln.

Or was it Marilyn Monroe????

Personally I love the ones that I think are attributed to Mae West, though I am too lazy to look up the exact wording or the accuracy of the attributions:

"When I'm good, I'm good. And when I'm bad, I'm very good."

My fave though is:

"When trying to choose between two evils I try to choose the one I have never tried before."

Again, not sure if those are right or not lol.

Another fave by another old-time 'broad,' Zsa Zsa Gabor, IIRC married quite a few times:

"I never hated a man enough to give him his jewelry back."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I SHOULD be Peeved about being spanked earlier today, but I almost 100% deserved it. 
Thanks!

I think I missed the spanking, but I am confused, I thought you were very much opposed to mentions of kink, and here you are making one??

(JOKING, sorry if that crosses a line...)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Strangely, when I looked at the Mark Twain quotes, I also did not see any that I felt "everyone should know". 

"When angry, count to 10. When very angry, swear."

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CaerolleClaudel said:

I think I missed the spanking, but I am confused, I thought you were very much opposed to mentions of kink, and here you are making one??

(JOKING, sorry if that crosses a line...)

Peeve: Not at all, I'm not a prude by any means. Some over-emphasis by others on "adult stuff drives Second Life", and "everyone needs to respect kink more", etc. is what I was complaining about in another thread. 

• Thanks 1