Just now, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm trying these days to keep in mind that a person expressing an opinion no matter how stupid doesn't necessarily need responding to which might actually end up legitimising it to some degree.  It's a difficult struggle and one I don't always win.

This is too true.

I have a basic rule of thumb -- if it looks as though responding will enable me to say something at least semi-useful or worthwhile, I'll respond. Because this is, after all, a public venue, and I'm not engaged in a private conversation: it's a public discussion.

But once a discussion has devolved into a pointless repetition of views, or, worse, name-calling, I step away.

I have, I think mostly, gotten much better at not feeling that I need to get in the last word, or always respond.

Mostly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm trying these days to keep in mind that a person expressing an opinion no matter how stupid doesn't necessarily need responding to which might actually end up legitimising it to some degree.  It's a difficult struggle and one I don't always win.

May I please suggest a corollary?  No matter how stupid the opinion, the person does not need reminding.  Either they already know and "act out" anyway, or there's no way to convince them. (It can be hella fun to try, if you've got the patience of a Saint.)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

(It can be hella fun to try, if you've got the patience of a Saint.)

Possibly, although I don't really find it so. My days of enjoying an argument for its own sake are largely behind me.

Holding on to a discussion tenaciously can also just be counter-productive. It becomes boring and off-putting, and there comes a point where it is actually impeding public discussion, rather than contributing to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Peeve or Delight? I finally got a new PC tonight. 

The Peeve: Waiting to restore some backups and install other things before actually trying Second Life. 

The Delight: This one won't heat up my room like a furnace. W00T!

The Hope: That it lasts 10+ years like my current potato, which was running Second Life just fine, thankyouverymuch.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My days of enjoying an argument for its own sake are largely behind me.

I know what you mean.  I've started to have a great aversion to being dragged into the weeds.  I'm looking to disentangle myself from that much quicker than I used to.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3

I've picked up a lot of useful skills bopping around on New Twitter. One of them is the fine art of scrolling quickly on by.

Blocking crypto accounts at lightning speed is another, but that's rarely necessary outside of that app's walls.

I guess this is an anti-peeve, so I'm probably in the wrong thread. I can fix that, wait...

Peeve: I wanna try some new flavored coffee, but the brand my bestie keeps telling me to try is $18 for a 12oz bag. That boy done lost his damn mind.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I know what you mean.  I've started to have a great aversion to being dragged into the weeds.  I'm looking to disentangle myself from that much quicker than I used to.

Silent posted a link to a discussion from the old RA forum, ca. 2000, that involved me a day or so ago.

Looking it over, I was astonished, and a little horrified, by my own tenacity and energetic enthusiasm for argument.

God, it must have been exhausting. I don't have the energy for that sort of thing anymore. Or, perhaps, the self-assured confidence that I'm always "right."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Silent posted a link to a discussion from the old RA forum, ca. 2000, that involved me a day or so ago.

Looking it over, I was astonished, and a little horrified, by my own tenacity and energetic enthusiasm for argument.

God, it must have been exhausting. I don't have the energy for that sort of thing anymore. Or, perhaps, the self-assured confidence that I'm always "right."

I think that's the thing, it takes too much energy and looking back it all seems like it was for nothing anyway.  Nobody ever changed anyone's opinion on the internet.

Consolation: Perhaps we are growing wiser, not just older.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Can't bring yourself to say on "X" yet?

Never going to happeeeeeeeen! The amount of fail surrounding the rebranding has been an absolute joy to witness, though!

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'm sorry.

We can't be friends anymore.

Oh come on! You mean to tell me mudslide flavored coffee doesn't sound good to you???!!!

Notes of rich chocolate combined with the decadent flavor trifecta of coffee liqueur, vodka and Irish cream will have you hearing music in the air.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Never going to happeeeeeeeen! The amount of fail surrounding the rebranding has been an absolute joy to witness, though!

Oh come on! You mean to tell me mudslide flavored coffee doesn't sound good to you???!!!

Notes of rich chocolate combined with the decadent flavor trifecta of coffee liqueur, vodka and Irish cream will have you hearing music in the air.

giphy.gif

You ALMOST had me at "rich chocolate."

But I'm too smart for your Satanic blandishments!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

/me whispers, "I favor caramel."

Oh, you've got plenty of options then.

Salty Siren:

This mystical new flavor sings entrancing songs of caramel, chocolate & sea salt. A delicious brew that you’ll have no choice but to fall in love with.

Highland Grog:

Put on your kilt and break out the bagpipes for a truly exceptional cup of coffee! Spiced rum flavor with notes of butterscotch and caramel will have your inner Highlander gleaming with joy!

Crusader's Cup:

Crusader's Cup is a wise choice for those who want to embark on a flavor-filled journey with hints of nutty chocolate, butterscotch, and caramel. If you're ready to take on the world and explore new horizons, grab Crusader's Cup and set out on your next adventure.

Bones Coffee, peeps. I am not a fan of the packaging, the themes are often film-based and kinda weird not gonna lie, annnnd they could use a new copywriter, but there are a TON of flavors and supposedly they're pretty good. 

$18 a bag tho - that's a massive peeve.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Salty Siren:

This mystical new flavor sings entrancing songs of caramel, chocolate & sea salt. A delicious brew that you’ll have no choice but to fall in love with.

Highland Grog:

Put on your kilt and break out the bagpipes for a truly exceptional cup of coffee! Spiced rum flavor with notes of butterscotch and caramel will have your inner Highlander gleaming with joy!

Crusader's Cup:

Crusader's Cup is a wise choice for those who want to embark on a flavor-filled journey with hints of nutty chocolate, butterscotch, and caramel. If you're ready to take on the world and explore new horizons, grab Crusader's Cup and set out on your next adventure.

Bones Coffee, peeps. I am not a fan of the packaging, the themes are often film-based and kinda weird not gonna lie, annnnd they could use a new copywriter, but there are a TON of flavors and supposedly they're pretty good. 

behind-me-michael-sheen.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I think that's the thing, it takes too much energy and looking back it all seems like it was for nothing anyway.  Nobody ever changed anyone's opinion on the internet.

I had to learn the hard way that there are certain topics that are not worth talking about on SL ( for me personally).  I learnt this after the following situation occured. 

Patato, Beef and Ham were relaxing. Everyone was calm and getting  on until Ham decided to bring up a sensitive topic he knew  Patato and Beef had opposing perspectives on. Ham outed Patatos views on the subject to Beef knowing full well Patato doesn't like to discuss this topic. Beef started getting incresingly rude, and didn't want to respect Patatos choice not to talk about said topic. In the end Beefs passion for the topic was so strong he overstepped a lot boundaries and even the basic limits of respect. 

The whole thing could very well have been accidental but it wasn't an isolated incident. Ham did this sort of thing all the time.In the end Patato ended up leaving both Beef and Ham behind .. 

Peeve : People who throw rocks and hide their hands. People who don't know how to respect boundaries. 362495895_825669432299400_4834523714933585075_n.thumb.jpg.9b8afcfa6849e1d56f50608a3d8dba6a.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tayt3rChip said:

I had to learn the hard way that there are certain topics that are not worth talking about on SL ( for me personally).  I learnt this after the following situation occured. 

Patato, Beef and Ham were relaxing. Everyone was calm and getting  on until Ham decided to bring up a sensitive topic he knew  Patato and Beef had opposing perspectives on. Ham outed Patatos views on the subject to Beef knowing full well Patato doesn't like to discuss this topic. Beef started getting incresingly rude, and didn't want to respect Patatos choice not to talk about said topic. In the end Beefs passion for the topic was so strong he overstepped a lot boundaries and even the basic limits of respect. 

The whole thing could very well have been accidental but it wasn't an isolated incident. Ham did this sort of thing all the time.In the end Patato ended up leaving both Beef and Ham behind .. 

Peeve : People who throw rocks and hide their hands. People who don't know how to respect boundaries. 362495895_825669432299400_4834523714933585075_n.thumb.jpg.9b8afcfa6849e1d56f50608a3d8dba6a.jpg

Imagined heated argument:

* potato to ham * I only have eyes for you..

* beef to potato * I've got a beef with that!

* ham to beef * Oh yeah? I'm gonna cut you!!!

* beef to ham * Shut your meat flaps!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Salty Siren:

Highland Grog:

Crusader's Cup:

Yikes!  I checked out that coffee.  That's $18 for 14 oz!   And I thought splurging on Trader Joe's Organic Sumatra was expensive.  Best coffee ever IMO.  

• Like 2