What do you think of the trend to sell clothing in individual body packs?

Stephanie Misfit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

What problem? If you would pay 300 for a single, full price, item, but now you're paying 500 for all the colors/customization options, how is that a problem? And that seems to be the ratio of the brands splitting it up that way. You could still get a pack with all the bodies for the old fatpack price. 

Problem 1: I don't use other colors other than black and sometimes (rarely) white, except for denim where I go for the classic blue often, so it's still 200L$ more for absolutely nothing of a value to me. Now I don't really care about SL budget much and just tend to grab what I like, but if it'll become a trend then eventually it'll be tens of thousands spent for absolutely nothing.

Problem 2: I use more than one body. I've swapped to Legacy when they finally fixed high altitude problems for the most part, but still use Maitreya for some RP/fantasy outfits and looks as it's easier to find and combine different outfits for it. That means every single "single rig fatpack" I'd buy for Legacy will be excluded from options for those RP/fantasy outfits outfits combinations, unless I'd pay double for it (and 700L$ more compared to before).

So yeah, for some people myself included there's zero upside in that trend. Unless more of those single-body fatpacks would become mod from creators that used to do no-mod. In which case I suppose it's fine for certain outfits.

And no, that's not a good way to check for what body people are buying from as unpacked scripts that allow to choose body versions can (and do) dial "home" with such information already, unless someone would rezz them in a no-scripts sandbox. I'm sure some people still press "unpack all", but I would guess most unpack for exactly body (bodies) they use to not delete not needed sizes, and thus providing the data.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Problem 1: I don't use other colors other than black and sometimes (rarely) white, except for denim where I go for the classic blue often, so it's still 200L$ more for absolutely nothing of a value to me. Now I don't really care about SL budget much and just tend to grab what I like, but if it'll become a trend then eventually it'll be tens of thousands spent for absolutely nothing.

Problem 2: I use more than one body. I've swapped to Legacy when they finally fixed high altitude problems for the most part, but still use Maitreya for some RP/fantasy outfits and looks as it's easier to find and combine different outfits for it. That means every single "single rig fatpack" I'd buy for Legacy will be excluded from options for those RP/fantasy outfits outfits combinations, unless I'd pay double for it (and 700L$ more compared to before).

So yeah, for some people myself included there's zero upside in that trend. Unless more of thise single-body fatpacks would become mod from creators that used to do no-mod. In which case I suppose it's fine for certain outfits.

And no, that's not a good way to check for what body people are buying from as unpacked scripts that allow to choose body versions can (and do) dial "home" with such information already, unless someone would rezz them in a no-scripts sandbox. I'm sure some people still press "unpack all", but I would guess most unpack for exactly body (bodies) they use to not delete not needed sizes, and thus providing the data.

Well they also sell the all body pack too. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Well they also sell the all body pack too. 

Yeah, so it would be 1.5k-2.5k for one color in two body sizes I might need. Versus normal/current 300-400 on average. Safe to say that even not caring about SL budget much I won't be buying (almost) any of those and go shop at places that provide alternatives to such pricing model.

Would be interesting to see how those "rig packs" will be priced for the weekends sales too. If one body pack for the usual weekend 60-75L$, then it's exactly what those creators who will go with that new model will get from me. Or those creators will go full greed and just recycle older single colors releases over and over again? I suppose we'll see.

• Like 2

I've no issue with selling individual body packs. I have noticed a couple of items recently have a HUD that lets you choose which body you want delivery for, and I always just unpack the one I use anyway and delete the included clothing for bodies I don't use.  It's the creator's prerogative to do so and I support that.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Oh, no. Creators might want to benefit from their labor. "Full greed." Yikes.

Creators will charge the value of their labor either way, it's just a question of whether people buying for one body should subsidize people buying for multiple bodies. As a one body girl, I would prefer not to.

Are you saying it's greedy for a creator to benefit from the fruits of their labor?  That they shouldn't be able to put a value on the time and work they put into it. So by that logic. What do you think that creators should charge for? 

19 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Are you saying it's greedy for a creator to benefit from the fruits of their labor?  That they shouldn't be able to put a value on the time and work they put into it. So by that logic. What do you think that creators should charge for? 

Sorry. Should have appended the /s tag to the post. The poster above me was the one I was quoting on "Full greed."

If I was going to buy something, I was probably going to fatpack it anyway. Cheaper, one body fatpacks actually save me money. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Oh no, people can have a different opinion. Creators are free to sell their product for any price their want. And people are free to call it cheap, expensive or greedy. Like they are free to call it good quality or a bad quality depending on their preferences and needs. You're free to disagree with them and have own opinion, of course.

But since

If I was going to buy something, I was probably going to fatpack it anyway. Cheaper, one body fatpacks actually save me money. 

Then opinions of those who have zero use for any extra colors included are invalid. /s

So good for you that you'll save money, but in my case it will be at best ~200L$ more expensive, and sometimes ~700L$ more expensive if I were to purchase them at full price.

I'm all for supporting creators and doing so for years, and there are stores (mostly not clothing, but landscape stuff as I build a lot) where I have every or nearly every single creation they've made not counting some ancient non mesh stuff. But sudden increase from ~300 to ~1000 (or more) if I'd need it for more than one body is exactly what I call greed. And no, those "perks" with extra colors are no good substitute for me.

But yeah, if they'll still separate colors for the weekend sales later it'll be fun. I'd actually love some of them try and actually put up like 60 vendors (6 bodies x10 colors each) for the said sales, it would be hilarious. 120 if it's a top/bottom that are sold separately, which is usually the case.

Edited by steeljane42

2 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

But yeah, if they'll still separate colors for the weekend sales later it'll be fun. I'd actually love some of them try and actually put up like 60 vendors (6 bodies x10 colors each) for the said sales, it would be hilarious. 120 if it's a top/bottom that are sold separately, which is usually the case.

Yeah, it can become a laggy mess sometimes if done like that. With all the scripts running at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Chromeice9 said:

Not sure if this post is in the right place cant seem to find a thread for the following.

The QUICK FILL option when listing clothes for sale is not working. Its becoming a pain typing in every word for the description

for each item. Any Idea's.?

Maybe make a post here and ask your question https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/311-merchants/

I am finding it frustrating when people are selling  Maitreya and the Petite and Flat option separate (when they offer those). I often flip between reg and Petite and there are times when I use flat and it's just the add on that's different so I'm not sure why they sell them separate. Often times I don't want al the colors so I don't really want to buy a bunch of colors I don't need.

I don't know what the best option is because on the one hand if you just use a single body then getting all colors for less than what a fatpack would have been is great but if you use multiple bodies --or variations of bodies- or don't want to use multiple colors then I guess it's frustrating.  So I don't think all shoppers are going to be satisfied, it's just creators deciding what works best for them and their customers

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, MillyWH said:

I am finding it frustrating when people are selling  Maitreya and the Petite and Flat option separate (when they offer those). I often flip between reg and Petite and there are times when I use flat and it's just the add on that's different so I'm not sure why they sell them separate. Often times I don't want al the colors so I don't really want to buy a bunch of colors I don't need.

I don't know what the best option is because on the one hand if you just use a single body then getting all colors for less than what a fatpack would have been is great but if you use multiple bodies --or variations of bodies- or don't want to use multiple colors then I guess it's frustrating.  So I don't think all shoppers are going to be satisfied, it's just creators deciding what works best for them and their customers

I am in the exact same position as you, I switch between Reborn Juicy or Mounds, and a more sensible body when I don't want to have ridiculous breasts. So that is 3 bodies / addons I would like to have clothing for, really. And fatpacks are usually not such an appealing deal for me, as I find that even when I do buy fatpacks, I only ever use black.

I think creators are doing this to work out what sells, and to eventually drop the bodies that aren't selling so well so that they don't have to rig for so many. Which makes sense for them, of course.

• Like 4

I'm supportive. At least one creator has shared how it will make their process easier/more efficient, and it is a way for someone to track which bodies their particular customer base uses vs statistics for SL overall. It isn't sustainable for folks to rig for the whole spectrum of bodies currently available. Will it possibly become a hunt to find creators who support a particular body/add-on? Yes, but I already did/do that for Maitreya Flat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 586 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.