Two regions, two plots

Marianne Little

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know land impact can't be joined when the two parcels are in different regions.

But the plots have an adjactent border. Can I link a set of decor, and have the root prim on the one side, and the rest of the linkset in the other region?

Does SL land allow that? I know griefers do it, but is it a limit to how much I push over? Let us say I link a set of 100 Li, located in A, and the root prim in B.

I know it is a limit to how far apart the parts can be, but things that are close to each other should not have that problem.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

I have been doing this for years. Works fine if you don’t mind phantom child prims.

Do you mean phantom root prim? It should not be any difference between an invisible cube, or a decorative visible object, as the anchor?

Let us say I have a flower as the root prim. It works?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Do you mean phantom root prim? It should not be any difference between an invisible cube, or a decorative visible object, as the anchor?

Let us say I have a flower as the root prim. It works?

Wanted to mention that while it often works there ARE some issues with borders still. I ran into that when doing a two sim building for an SL birthday.  So "falling through" can be a problem unless they have fixed that over the years (doubtful) :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

That's so great! Do you know the max distance between the root prim and the linkset?

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

The max distance for a linkset is around 52m. The image below shows phantom child prims (the blue cubes). The root prim can be anything in my experience. Note that you have to linkup everything in the same region and then move it so that the child prims are in another region.

The issue most people have when doing a build that spans a region border is walkways (runways, etc.). If the border is crossed with a single prim rooted in region A, an avatar (or vehicle) will fall through when entering region B. The fix is to use overlapping prims, one rooted in region A and one rooted in region B. Typically these are transparent and serve only to prevent falling through. The second image shows my runway with these extra prims (in red).

phantom children_001.jpg

runway.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, it's very helpful. I did some tests in a sandbox. How much I could push a building from the root prim. 

I had to think long and hard if it is worth it. The Hardwick Manor is the land impact monster, a neat 345 Li.

It is my weakness. It is a special house. I have seen many, but it can not be compared to it. I wish Apple made more buildings. 

The house is too far apart to be in a linkset and anchored on the other side. I would have to link and anchor only the closest landscaping parts. I did a very rough count, it is 85-90 Li for that part.I am not sure what to do now. 

I am thinking about moving the house, but I need to figure out if it will work for me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

The house is too far apart to be in a linkset and anchored on the other side. I would have to link and anchor only the closest landscaping parts. I did a very rough count, it is 85-90 Li for that part.

Yeah, it's always landscaping that's the easiest because it's better when phantom anyway. That sandbox test can help identify other parts of the house that, unlinked from the rest of the house, are close enough to be linked to root prims on the other region and be phantom as every link becomes on a different region from their root, as @diamond Marchant already detailed.

One consideration about this unlinking might be any scripts that controlled stuff being separated from the linkset, such as windows or other "security" script stuff. (I usually rip all that out of prefabs anyway, but that's me, avoiding most scripts I didn't write myself.)

Also about unlinking: if done strategically, it can save Land Impact by exploiting rounding error in the accounting. It's simple in practice. Imagine two mesh links, both with "Download" their highest weight, having say 1.4 as their individual Download weights. Link them together and they'll weigh 2.8, so rounded up to 3. Separately, they'll individually round down to 1, so totaling only 2. But there's a flip side of this, too: Linked items save LI when bits with complementary "highest weight" categories are combined; stuff with lots of simple little links scoring high in Server weight are just crying to be linked with items that have heavy Download complexity and low Server weight; this is how linking stuff together can decrease total LI—and so unlinking part of the house may increase LI, if the unlinked part's weight was in a complimentary category from the rest of the house.

• Like 2

Update: I will not start to try linking across two regions. If it was a long border the parcels shared, it would be better. I could have had several linksets lined up. But instead, the short ends meet.

It will be too much hassle for so little. If I could save 200-300 Li, it would be worth it. Instead I redesigned the landscape with better linking, and I got many more Li because of that.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 601 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.