SL hours per day?

Neverthe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Back years ago when I was involved with the Relay For Life of SL I would spend upwards to 18 hours a day fund raising thru relay weekend.

Since my retirement at the end of the 2017 season and going into fashion show productions I usually spend roughly 40-50 a week preparing one show, another show I just took on requires four months of solid preparation due to the nature of the community I work with.

Any free down time is probably 20 hours a week.

Edited by Vickie Maidstone
  • Like 5

Till a couple of years ago i was logged into SL for 8-14 hours a day. That was when i was actively roleplaying. Since i lost interest because it has become more or less all the same for me :( i am online each day for somthing between 30 -60 min and that is only to meet my partner ... each day the same time. Thats a highlight. For the rest i am very jaded about SL. Maybe it will change in time :)

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Leahndra said:

Till a couple of years ago i was logged into SL for 8-14 hours a day. That was when i was actively roleplaying. Since i lost interest because it has become more or less all the same for me :( i am online each day for somthing between 30 -60 min and that is only to meet my partner ... each day the same time. Thats a highlight. For the rest i am very jaded about SL. Maybe it will change in time :)

Feeling jaded is better than feeling addicted, imo. Taking a break is the solution to feeling jaded.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 9/14/2022 at 3:04 AM, Claireschen Hesten said:

I spend my evenings from 6-7pm logged in, might only get 3 hours active time inworld where I don't have to do RL stuff or I don't doze off and suddenly it's past 2am. I seem to manage to always find something to keep me amused whether that's exploring, pottering around my Linden home tweaking décor, shopping or doing things in a sandbox 

Time definitely passes really fast in this place.  

• Like 4

On 9/13/2022 at 6:41 AM, Alwin Alcott said:

my alt got this one today ( i'm rarely inworld) ( i don't see the amount of hours logged in)
However it's lots more than the average resident, i'm no traveler at all.

41d5841b202a2f2151be61542bdebb52.png

Thanks for this Alwin.  Very intriguing stats indeed! 

On 9/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Neverthe said:

I wonder what is the average number of hours people use SL for each day. 

For me, when I am really into building and sorting out projects in here, the most was 8 hours straight, the average is for three or so hours so far.   I have heard of so many people sitting up till 4am and so on.  Is this common practice?   A good few people work in SL too, so I imagine this adds the hours up.

What drives you in here the most, has it ever been too much, or not enough?

Love to hear what drives people the most in SL.

I wish I could be on more lately. But in the beginning I would sit for hours and hours on SL doing various other stuff.. Now I pop on every couple days or so but for an hour,, and then I find myself falling asleep, 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

Lately I've been watching the new Bellisseria regions being built, though now that we have the water passage to Satori, this is less interesting to me.

Why? I mean why is it less interesting?  I know at least two sailors, besides myself, who are happy as can be to see more areas open for sailing.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2022 at 9:58 PM, Vickie Maidstone said:

Since my retirement at the end of the 2017 season

Hey, Vickie! I didn't realize you'd retired. Being involved in the business end of things can be really stressful and exhausting, that's for sure!  Grey and I have felt less and less connected the last two or three years and, and this past summer, we spent almost no time on the track. On top of horrible lag making it really difficult to walk or run for any length of time without crashing, it's kinda like the corner store got bought by some big corporation. Just doesn't seem to have the heart it used to..or that's how it seems to us. Good to see you anywhere, though...Relay track or on the water or here!

• Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 4:40 PM, Neverthe said:

Welcome to crazy land!  I've been in SL for well over 14 years and my hours on have varied over the years depending on what I'm doing while here. Also depends on what is going on in RL to mess up my fun here. Yeah, this place is way more fun for me than that other place. I can't move earth, build a house, fly around, teleport, dance, sail, or other things in RL  I might spend 4 hours fiddling around with a landscaping project or just my regular two or three hours mid-day with my partner who is on European time or three hours later in the day fiddling with my avatar. I have spent, at times, probably eight or more hours a day in SL and a lot of those in clubs dancing and schmoozing. If I have trouble sleeping, which is fairly common, I might watch a movie or I might log in to SL to do stuff...anything that strikes my fancy...and sometimes when that happens, I luck out and find pals from Down Under online, too. There is no rule, SL is world-wide, so you will see others online 24/7. I hope you enjoy it as much as i have.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2022 at 9:40 PM, Neverthe said:

I wonder what is the average number of hours people use SL for each day. 

For me, when I am really into building and sorting out projects in here, the most was 8 hours straight, the average is for three or so hours so far.   I have heard of so many people sitting up till 4am and so on.  Is this common practice?   A good few people work in SL too, so I imagine this adds the hours up.

What drives you in here the most, has it ever been too much, or not enough?

It's like a drug, an addiction, or it certainly was for me back in 2008 when it was not at all unusual for me to be logged in and actively doing something for 14 hours a day (although would break away to cook meals for family), then sometimes I would leave my avatar to sleep in a bed while I slept in real life. 

I look back at those times and think I was barking mad frankly.

But obsessions, I have had them, chased them, hunted them down, killed them, and moved onto the next one. They have been my motivation, the hobbies/interests/obsessions. 

Treasure hunts sometimes have taken up my time, but all my obsessions have been treasure hunts in their own way. 

When you were building, etc., I would imagine those eight hours straight never felt like eight hours. It never did for me. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

Why? I mean why is it less interesting?  I know at least two sailors, besides myself, who are happy as can be to see more areas open for sailing.

Mostly I think because I was obsessed with wanting a proper connection between Bellisseria & Satori. I thought it might be a couple regions lower, but was happy it ended up where it did. Now I'd like to see more roads through Satori, perhaps even going through to the Eastern coast, but I've also seen the greedy self-centeredness of many who hold prime mainland parcels, so I don't think this is going to happen anytime soon. I don't sail much. I just fly everywhere. I want to see exciting new developments, but now the LDPW is just filling in details on regions that won't really affect me. I'm happy to keep the houses I have, but will probably go down to just one when my alt's Premium subscription ends in December.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Now I'd like to see more roads through Satori, perhaps even going through to the Eastern coast

I wish all the continents connected in comfy ways. My biggest wish is for northern Bellisseria to connect with southern Sansara in a way that would make it fairly easy to sail up into the Sea of Fables. The biggest problem, I think, would be the sea levels. The old Sansara waters are much higher than the newer levels and the only way I can imagine overcoming that would be to have a lock system. I am quite certain there are plenty of people willing and happy to devise lock systems but they'd have to be employed as Lindens to do anything. My partner and I have property in Sansara so that's one selfish reason for my wish. We also have property in Nautilus and I am looking forward to sailing from that property down along Satori and into Bellisseria. Roads are good..but I've never been as fond of them as I have been of the waterways. I am able to sail for hours at a time without major mishaps..but on the roads, in a car or on a bike, I get in maybe 15 minutes max before crashing down into a ravine or somebody's house. I do admit that such crashings and plummetings have been way more fun with me as a giant snail. Gawd I love SL!

• Like 2

14 or so years ago when SL was new and sparkly.. I did have an addiction. I would get home from work and login for hours. On the weekends, I'd stay on till the sun came up. When I slept, my dreams where about me actually being my avatar in SL.. weird. When I thought about going grocery shopping, I'd think of taking a tp to Kroger.. Nowdays, I spend more time on this forum than I do in world.. and a lot more time in World of Warcraft. <- my longest running addiction.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

It's like a drug, an addiction, or it certainly was for me back in 2008 when it was not at all unusual for me to be logged in and actively doing something for 14 hours a day (although would break away to cook meals for family), then sometimes I would leave my avatar to sleep in a bed while I slept in real life. 

I look back at those times and think I was barking mad frankly.

But obsessions, I have had them, chased them, hunted them down, killed them, and moved onto the next one. They have been my motivation, the hobbies/interests/obsessions. 

Treasure hunts sometimes have taken up my time, but all my obsessions have been treasure hunts in their own way. 

When you were building, etc., I would imagine those eight hours straight never felt like eight hours. It never did for me. 

Surely, you must remember the days of "Millpond" and other well known places?  SL has really changed since 2008, the look of it is really much more realistic.  Barking mad haha, you are not alone there.  I once was on "voice" all night with a girl in another country, we woke up together still on voice.  It was surreal, but kind of nice!  I have never done a treasure hunt believe it or not!  

• Like 3

On a typical work day I will usually be online 2 to 3 hours, usually late when everything RL is done and there's nothing left but watch TV.

Saturdays are my all-day-in-SL days because the rest of my family is off doing other things. Sundays are my RL family days, I will log in briefly in the morning to post a group motice about the previous day's party at Chiaroscuro, then I'm done.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 625 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.