Any consideration for a web viewer?

Paradigm Brodsky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello!

Has there been any consideration or reconsideration of producing a web viewer?  It looks like it might be possible these days.  After initial engineering hours, you might eventually end up saving on man hours, only having to produce one viewer for 3 operating systems.  Maybe it's time to revisit this option?

• Haha 1

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Paradigm Brodsky said:

That's nifty.  It's great that LL open sourced the viewer so that others could fill in any perceived gaps.  However, I don't see where a person could view the source code for speed light.  I wouldn't feel comfortable entering my login credentials to a third party.  

From another thread on mobile SL...

On 5/13/2022 at 4:02 PM, Grumpity Linden said:

Don't take this as an official endorsement, but Speedlight.io does do a lot of the things you're talking about for mobile.  It's on _my_ phone. ;)

We have not abandoned our mobile plans.  We just don't have anything we can share right this minute. But it's very much an active direction for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you want to ask Linden Lab, you'll have to submit a JIRA request for a new feature.  If you want to discuss this possibility, the best spot is the Technical >> Second Life Viewer forum.  This Answers section is really just for asking another SL residents "How does this work?" questions or "Why doesn't this work?" questions. ;) 

47 minutes ago, Paradigm Brodsky said:

Hello!

Has there been any consideration or reconsideration of producing a web viewer?  It looks like it might be possible these days.  After initial engineering hours, you might eventually end up saving on man hours, only having to produce one viewer for 3 operating systems.  Maybe it's time to revisit this option?

Check out Speedlight:  https://docs.speedlight.io/

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Check out Speedlight:  https://docs.speedlight.io/

That's nifty.  It's great that LL open sourced the viewer so that others could fill in any perceived gaps.  However, I don't see where a person could view the source code for speed light.  I wouldn't feel comfortable entering my login credentials to a third party.  

46 minutes ago, Paradigm Brodsky said:

The fact that they are listed on the LL Third Party Viewer Directory page, makes them legit.  I don't think LL would list them if there were security issues.

Second Life Wiki - Third Party Viewer Directory

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paradigm Brodsky said:

it uses LL's auth and only LL gets that information,  speedlight is not bound to hurt themselves or cause users of the service problems.

12 hours ago, Paradigm Brodsky said:

Considering it's a JavaScript viewer, it should all/mostly be in the page source. 🤷

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.