JIRA Feature Request(s) for Inventory to "Open folder in a new window" and to have a "Search Only this Folder" function - needs your comments or support ♥

BJoyful

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I created 2 Feature Requests in August 2020 before @Oz Linden retired but I think they may have slipped into obscurity. @Whirly Fizzle commented that both requests could be combined into one new Feature.  No new action has been taken since Oz retired so I thought I'd mention the requests here and ask for comments, suggestions and support for any who think this feature may be useful.  I recently enjoyed watching @Alexa Linden 's episode of Second Life University with Inventory advice and tips: 

The features I requested would allow us to right click a folder and have the option to "Open this folder in a new window" and to have a "Search only this folder" option.  This could be very helpful for sorting scattered items into a particular folder and also for finding items in the future. For example if you know the item you are searching for is in your Landmarks folder, Search won't need to return results for every other folder which contains the keyword you are searching for.

Here are the links to the JIRA Feature Requests:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229278

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-229279

I'm not sure if I've added this to the appropriate Topic?  Please feel free to move it to the right place, if so!

• Like 1

Thing is, as the inventory is currently implemented, the whole inventory tree is always loaded when a new inventory floater (”window”) is opened... So the ”it (currently) takes age” reason for BUG-229278 won't be addressed, I'm afraid, and the best you could do is opening a new floater with the whole inventory tree loaded, but the target folder already opened/made current...

As for BUG-229279, you can already open another inventory floater (as many as you wish, actually): for LL's viewer, click on the gear in the first inventory floater and choose ”New inventory window” (note that the shortcut it gives, CTRL SHIFT I, won't work, because it toggles the ”current” inventory window on/off). So, you can already drag and drop inventory items from one window to the other...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

Thing is, as the inventory is currently implemented, the whole inventory tree is always loaded when a new inventory floater (”window”) is opened... So the ”it (currently) takes age” reason for BUG-229278 won't be addressed, I'm afraid, and the best you could do is opening a new floater with the whole inventory tree loaded, but the target folder already opened/made current...

Why wouldn't it be relatively trivial to pick only a partial branch in a new window, and/or search that? (I haven't actually looked at the inventory data structure.) Talk nerdy to me.

• Like 2

Isn't the inventory structure bottom-up?  Each "item" record contains a reference to its parent record, instead of having parent directory structures containing lists of contents?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Why wouldn't it be relatively trivial to pick only a partial branch in a new window, and/or search that? (I haven't actually looked at the inventory data structure.) Talk nerdy to me.

Not saying it is impossible to do, but just that, currently, inventory folders are not coded that way (even item picker lists are in fact based on a filter applied to the whole inventory tree).

27 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

Isn't the inventory structure bottom-up?  Each ”item” record contains a reference to its parent record, instead of having parent directory structures containing lists of contents?

Yep. An inventory object (which includes folders) only reference their parent folder. This is not to say you cannot get the contents of a given folder either, but you need the whole tree in memory to get it...

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.