Whohoo helped out five newbs today

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

If something is worth doing, it's worth getting paid to do it.

While I agree with that statement in general, I violate it every darn day.

Aside from shopping and socializing, helping newcomers is what I do, and I've done it ever since I was just a few months old in SL. I do get paid (darn little, and late!) for my formal teaching duties, but I've probably given out more L$ in gifts to newbies than I've made. So the only "pay" I get is the thanks from the people I've helped.

And that's all that I need.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:
19 minutes ago, Randall Ahren said:

If something is worth doing, it's worth getting paid to do it.

While I agree with that statement in general, I violate it every darn day.

Aside from shopping and socializing, helping newcomers is what I do, and I've done it ever since I was just a few months old in SL. I do get paid (darn little, and late!) for my formal teaching duties, but I've probably given out more L$ in gifts to newbies than I've made. So the only "pay" I get is the thanks from the people I've helped.

And that's all that I need.

You might be what I call a born teacher!  

• 1 month later...

I never met a newbie that didn't know far more than me about how SL works , or else i never met a newbie . I occasionally share items that were given to me in my early days when i see a lazy freebie alt using junk and most won't even acknowledge the better item was received .

Does anyone else ever wonder what part technology plays in the degeneration of the human race ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Misa Littlepaws said:

I'd love to know where to find newbies to help~ whenever I go to the newbie places it's just 5+ year old accounts chatting or spamming xD

You could go to one of the sources..  There is a start point called Adventure Island and Central Park..

You would have to land in Central Park where there are new people to SL just starting out.. The next sim over from that to the west is Adventure Island which is where they first enter SL.. I would wait for them to cross the bridge to Central Park, so they can finish their tutorials.. But Central park is a good place if you are wanting to help new people to SL

On 8/19/2022 at 1:42 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

Nothing wrong with it. It could very well motivate some others to do likewise.

Helping newbies is a good thing. Bragging about it on the forms... not so much. I doubt Heathcliff meant it as a brag, it's just how it came across to me and it would appear it came across the same way to others. Many of us have helped dozens in a day's time but we never posted about it on the forum, so it seems rather self-serving to us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cunomar said:

I never met a newbie that didn't know far more than me about how SL works , or else i never met a newbie . I occasionally share items that were given to me in my early days when i see a lazy freebie alt using junk and most won't even acknowledge the better item was received .

Does anyone else ever wonder what part technology plays in the degeneration of the human race ?

Not really, I mean I was born in the 80's and can see just how much we've devolved just from when High speed internet became a household thing.

Since the early 2000's, look at what too much information has done to us. We get fed more crap faster than we can flush it nowadays. The extreme has become the norm..Gossip isn't just in the beauty shop anymore, it's in the palm of our hands in the form of a phone. The zombie invasion began when we switched from dial up to cable and fiber.. hehehehe

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, when someone gives you an item unsolicited it can be both annoying, and very very tempting to ignore it.

Kind of like, "omg you need some better clothes, here!" 🙂

Surely nobody likes the common freebie erm "appendage"

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 6:33 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

You could go to one of the sources..  There is a start point called Adventure Island and Central Park..

You would have to land in Central Park where there are new people to SL just starting out.. The next sim over from that to the west is Adventure Island which is where they first enter SL.. I would wait for them to cross the bridge to Central Park, so they can finish their tutorials.. But Central park is a good place if you are wanting to help new people to SL

Tried that now. Got told to leave the sim by some moody staff since "this is only for newbies! you haven't been approved to be a guide here!" so I think I'm good. Now I get why so many are finding it hard to get into SL at first, no wonder when you meet such a moody person right when you start out x.x

Edited by Misa Littlepaws

3 hours ago, Misa Littlepaws said:

Tried that now. Got told to leave the sim by some moody staff since "this is only for newbies! you haven't been approved to be a guide here!" so I think I'm good. Now I get why so many are finding it hard to get into SL at first, no wonder when you meet such a moody person right when you start out x.x

I spent like a couple of weeks around there and never seen anyone from a staff..

That is a user owned start area  and the only reason I recommended it, was because  it was a pretty poorly made start area that new users could use some help..

They really need some serious guidelines for people making start areas if they are going to put that big responsibility into the hands of users.

I've heard similar stories about people getting shouted at even as a brand new just landed in world users.. If they want to leave new users in the hands of those people, it's their world and their users to lose I guess..

Thanks for giving it a shot at least.. I'll stop recommending it I guess..

4 hours ago, Misa Littlepaws said:

I just popped in there today. I wasn't harassed by anyone, but when I crossed over onto Adventure Island, the actual gateway, I was IM'd by one of the resident helpers and gently told that, while it was OK for me to take a look around, they'd appreciate me leaving the region as soon as convenient to me. I thanked him, took a quick look around, and went back across the bridge to Central Park, where I had a nice conversation with a couple of the helpers.

It may have helped that I was known to the person who sent me the IM.

Still, I have to admit that the "helper" role does tend to attract people who like to be bossy or nitpicky about The Rules sometimes. We've had such people on the staff at Caledon Oxbridge, and I've seen them at other newbie help areas. Fortunately, such people are in the minority.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.