Recent updates to SL appear to have caused problems with multiple games.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I posted this in the "Games in Second Life" to see if others have seen the same issues. But from what I can tell some recent updates may have broken or rendered some games unplayable. Mostly those that are affected are games requiring fast input. Things like target type arcade games but the issues are not consistent. If you see issues with games in SL maybe comment at the post I included here. I know there been some various issues ... hopefully they will be sorted. 

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The only time I've ever had a problem that carried over, is usually after a graphics driver update..

Like if I updated for a certain game.. Do you have automatic graphics driver updates?

It's not a computer problem. some changes in SL are making them not work properly. They introduce some kind of bug with a recent update. It's the game/scripts being affected not a viewer issue at all. 

6 minutes ago, Sorina Garrigus said:

It's not a computer problem. some changes in SL are making them not work properly. They introduce some kind of bug with a recent update. It's the game/scripts being affected not a viewer issue at all. 

I'm gonna be interested in what it could be as well then.. I haven't updated to any of the latest viewers yet, Other than Black Dragon..

As far as things working for me right now, everything is still good.. I updated that viewer like two weeks ago after the latest update SL had for their viewer..

It'll be interesting to see what others might have to say about it.

20 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The only time I've ever had a problem that carried over, is usually after a graphics driver update..

Like if I updated for a certain game.. Do you have automatic graphics driver updates?

There was a recent (week or so) Windows update that affected both my viewer stability ie Teleports etc, as well as several Opensim servers I run. Nothing drastic like your issue but still significant enough I was considering looking to see if I could roll it back.

19 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

There was a recent (week or so) Windows update that affected both my viewer stability ie Teleports etc, as well as several Opensim servers I run. Nothing drastic like your issue but still significant enough I was considering looking to see if I could roll it back.

It wasn't me that had the problem.. My things are running fine :)

That does bring up a good question though.. How do you rollback a windows update, just in case I ever have to? I don't think I've ever had to yet, but better safe than sorry.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

22 hours ago, Sorina Garrigus said:

I posted this in the "Games in Second Life" to see if others have seen the same issues. But from what I can tell some recent updates may have broken or rendered some games unplayable. Mostly those that are affected are games requiring fast input. Things like target type arcade games but the issues are not consistent. If you see issues with games in SL maybe comment at the post I included here. I know there been some various issues ... hopefully they will be sorted. 

You really didn't explain in detail what the exact problem was other than "things are broken".

Can you be more specific as to what aspect of each game is affected?

What are you doing/expecting during game play and what does or doesn't happen instead?

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

You really didn't explain in detail what the exact problem was other than "things are broken".

Can you be more specific as to what aspect of each game is affected?

What are you doing/expecting during game play and what does or doesn't happen instead?

I explained in detail in the games in second life link. I will repaste it here for you. 

I have at least three games that are broken due apparently due to changes in SL updates. Response time between input and the game reacting have gone from happening to pretty much immediately to happening 10 seconds or more if happening at all. So far I am seeing these issues in scripted arcade games like Komikaze which is basically a scripted version of Asteroids. You shoot and you see the particle effect it has firing but the actual shot comes out 5 seconds later aand it happens between 5 to 10 seconds later and often at a different angle. Missle Defence which is a scripted version of the classic Missle command you click on the screen to fire a missile off and it happens maybe 15 seconds later or so. Duck Hunt seems to play fine but it is currently getting a flood of "Too many sound requests. Throttled until average falls." messages. But does play fine otherwise. It didn't do this before. A game called Area 51 which is a mouse view target shooter doesn't work at all. Doesn't register any clicks. I also tested Zombie Hunter another target shooter I believe to be mouseview click but not sure of how they made the game to know if they took a different approach or not. But it seemed to work perfectly fine compared to some of the other target shooter games as duck hunt did. But Duck hunt isn't a mouse view shooter it is just a click shooter. none use projectiles to account for hits that I can tell. I am going through a lot of games today to see if they are affected. Another click shooter arcade (but not mouse view but a sit down camera position type game) called Kill em all seemed to work fine as does another mouse view click shooter called Zombie Forest Run. 

On the board game side of things I am still testing. Haven't done proper play testing but noticed huds in Hirons games which use the experience feature take a few seconds to appear/attached when before it was nearly right away. But was only able to test a couple board games to see if they were affected. Haven't found anything outside of that. 

Not sure what the pattern is causing issues in some games but not others. 

If you have any of these games in your sims or find other problems post about them. There were some form of issues the other day I assume created by updates. I had issues with my anywhere doors not being able to find animations but they seem to be working again fine now. They seem to have had those errors after a sim reset. 

The sim has a lot of games in it but seems to be in good shape unless I am missing something as i don't understand all the data of sim statistics. 

I am leaving the games with issues up in case a Linden wanted to come down and see what is being affected and how/why. The affected games are primarily at my Grunge Arcade location but all are in the same sim if that is a factor. Hopefully the issues will be corrected soon. 

I see a waste of resources in that region.

Two dozen butterflies spewing out constant updates. Turn on Object Updates. (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+U)

A bunch of Linden Gold Hunt coins all over the place showing "No funds".

Tons of arcade games and game tables running with no one near them.

I couldn't find the pathinding characters that were eating up almost 1/3 of the region's timing because it is impossible to get all parcel owners to optimize their objects for pathfinding.

[EDIT]

Found the pathfinding character "JADED Jokers 200x4 HOC CGT-Game" stuck under a castle.

Remove that one object and see if things improve, else, start cleaning up the other sources of waste.

[Another Observation]

You have multiple loud sound spamming objects that sound like a fleet of prop planes are on a carrier waiting to take off.

All this on a parcel with "Restrict gesture and object sounds to this parcel" unchecked.

In fact, all of your parcels that have games and tables on the ground floor constantly putting out sounds have this setting unchecked.

I bet this drives your neighbors nuts...

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It wasn't me that had the problem.. My things are running fine :)

That does bring up a good question though.. How do you rollback a windows update, just in case I ever have to? I don't think I've ever had to yet, but better safe than sorry.. hehehe

Oops sorry.

System restore if it is enabled, to a date before the update if it is enabled.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Oops sorry.

System restore if it is enabled, to a date before the update if it is enabled.

Well crap, I never even thought of that. LOL

I've had a couple of updates where I wished i could go backwards.. I'll keep that in mind for sure..

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I see a waste of resources in that region.

Two dozen butterflies spewing out constant updates. Turn on Object Updates. (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+U)

A bunch of Linden Gold Hunt coins all over the place showing "No funds".

Tons of arcade games and game tables running with no one near them.

I couldn't find the pathinding characters that were eating up almost 1/3 of the region's timing because it is impossible to get all parcel owners to optimize their objects for pathfinding.

[EDIT]

Found the pathfinding character "JADED Jokers 200x4 HOC CGT-Game" stuck under a castle.

Remove that one object and see if things improve, else, start cleaning up the other sources of waste.

The "jaded jokers" pathfinding character was actually an animesh teddy bear. I think it some how merged it's name with something else after a big land snafu. It must been there for ages but caused no issues with it hiding down there. 

The games are not "running" they are waiting to be played. And some are media based so no impact since they are not scripted. 

time dilation is at .99 lag all showing normal and green. Maybe you can point to the sim resources issues in the statistics you are talking about? But the basic info shows the sim is in good shape. Keep in mind the games affected are anomolies with most everything else functioning fine. Also keep in mind this area is for the public ... not a private home. To pull a bunch of games would just mean to abandon the land at that point. And an empty unused sim ... kind of pointless. 

Ctrl alt shift U does nothing I am using the LL issued viewer because the lighting in the other viewers are old and outdated and crap by comparison unfortunately to the LL viewer

I got rid of the random pathfinding object and turned off a few butterflies from animating ... it's not going to fix the games affected by the changes. The sim is showing in good operational status with no real lag issues to speak of. 

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Well crap, I never even thought of that. LOL

I've had a couple of updates where I wished i could go backwards.. I'll keep that in mind for sure..

Make sure it is enabled though before you need it :) 

been caught that way before where I assumed it was on by default and when I really needed it, found out it wasn't.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Make sure it is enabled though before you need it :) 

been caught that way before where I assumed it was on by default and when I really needed it, found out it wasn't.

I mess around in there ever month or so.. I think the last time was early last month..

Yea, I had an incident one time where I had to clean my whole drive before, so I make sure  it's on.. hehehe

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sorina Garrigus said:

Ctrl alt shift U does nothing I am using the LL issued viewer because the lighting in the other viewers are old and outdated and crap by comparison unfortunately to the LL viewer

I had to check again how this works, and the Linden viewer does need the Debug menu to be showing in order for the Ctrl-alt-shift-U keystroke to do what's listed in that menu "Show Info / Show Updates to Objects" whereas I think some TPVs enable those keystroke shortcuts even if the associated menu isn't showing on the menubar (enabled from Me/Preferences/Advanced tab).

(Not sure about the lighting issues in other viewers; that pretty much must be a settings thing because TPVs aren't nearly as ambitious as folks think, and—eventually—almost all use almost identical world-rendering as the Linden viewer, just with labyrinthine settings menus to get them to look the same.)

The thing about object updates is that they affect sim, viewer, and network independently, so anybody with a bottleneck in any of those will feel a delay caused by competition among those updates for whichever resource is constrained. This region doesn't seem to have any sim bottlenecks currently, but some visitor with a slow network or a weak PC will suffer from steady streams of updates within their viewing distance.

Showing object updates also reveals stuff with especially active scripts doing these network- and viewer-intensive things, even if they're not so obvious otherwise. The butterflies, for example, are animesh which is fine, but they also have a hovering flight script that repositions the whole object several times a second. There's a "Queen of Hearts Throne" with a bunch of heart-shaped links that do something similar (although from a single central script). There's a "Stranded Tiles" game that has a couple pyramid-shaped things that seem to be changing their emitted light properties; that doesn't happen so many times a second but it's a particularly rendering-intensive thing for viewers to handle, way worse than just changing how brightly a surface is painted (which in contrast can have negligible rendering cost, depending how it's scripted). That's not to say any of these things "should" change, it's just to demonstrate the sort of information revealed by "Show Updates to Objects."

Edited by Qie Niangao

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 620 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.