Changes in the latest release Black Dragon

Jackson Redstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I read in Niran's blog he is now using the code from the Linden's performance viewerm I been trying it and indeed does seem to run pretty fast. I want to try to start using BD in my videos again some things I still have to figure out wwhat exactly they do

But what I did notice was the GPU was running 96-100% regardless if defered rendering was on and with or without shadows, Now I was in a sky platform so nothing to render up there but wanted to confirm - is this a part of the new performance code? 

I plan on doing alot more testing to ensure I can use it to video "live" events but so far, it appears the update is working well

2 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

But what I did notice was the GPU was running 96-100% regardless if defered rendering was on and with or without shadows, Now I was in a sky platform so nothing to render up there but wanted to confirm - is this a part of the new performance code?

This is a side effect, yes. Since the viewer renders more frames per second, the power drawn from the GPU increases... And indeed, sometimes, it can get a little overwhelming (especially when the GPU fans start roaring), thus why I implemented an optional frame limiter in the Cool VL Viewer (but a smart kind of frame limiter, that does not ruin textures fetching and decoding, for example, but on the contrary uses the ”free time” in each frame to load/decode more of them). With LL's viewer (and likely BD), your only option is to use Vsync to limit the frame rate (but it ruins the rezzing performances)...

13 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

With LL's viewer (and likely BD), your only option is to use Vsync to limit the frame rate

Not really.

For NVIDIA cards you can just follow https://www.howtogeek.com/509097/how-to-set-a-maximum-frame-rate-in-nvidias-drivers/ - tested, works.
For AMD - not sure here, I never owned a thing with their logo, but I've heard something about MSI Afterburner settings.
For Intel - you probably won't need any frame rate limiter...

40 minutes ago, panterapolnocy said:

Not really.

For NVIDIA cards you can just follow https://www.howtogeek.com/509097/how-to-set-a-maximum-frame-rate-in-nvidias-drivers/ - tested, works.
For AMD - not sure here, I never owned a thing with their logo, but I've heard something about MSI Afterburner settings.
For Intel - you probably won't need any frame rate limiter...

This got the exact, same, catastrophic result as Vsync. Basically, at each frame, the CPU has to wait after the driver for the minimum frame duration to be exhausted (i.e. the OpenGL call does not return before the necessary time as expired). This causes massive slow down in rezzing since while it waits the CPU cannot perform any object data decoding, object LOD calculations, texture area/priority calculations/adjustments, texture fetching, texture decoding, GL texture creation, etc...

This is BAAAAD ! 😝

5 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

This causes massive slow down in rezzing since while it waits the CPU cannot perform any object data decoding, object LOD calculations, texture area/priority calculations/adjustments, texture fetching, texture decoding, GL texture creation, etc...

And that's the point, Henri. ;) Lower system usage = lower heat generation = lower power usage = fans being more silent = also a stable frame rate... which sometimes is more important than constant jumping from 60 to 90 and back - that can be noticeable and annoying. If the topic's creator is after this - they would be happy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, panterapolnocy said:

And that's the point, Henri. ;) Lower system usage = lower heat generation = lower power usage = fans being more silent = also a stable frame rate... which sometimes is more important than constant jumping from 60 to 90 and back - that can be noticeable and annoying. If the topic's creator is after this - they would be happy.

Obviously, you did not look at my smart frame rate limiter code... Try it, and you will see... Cool and quiet, and yet blazing fast while rezzing.

The trick is to sleep only once every ancillary task has been completed, and to sleep the main (=renderer) thread by 1ms steps (instead of 10+ ms straight like what happens with the driver-imposed frame rates), each time checking whether new stuff (textures, for example) has arrived via the other threads, so to complete the corresponding work before sleeping again if it is still ”too soon” to render the next frame.

On 8/4/2022 at 2:03 PM, Jackson Redstar said:

So I read in Niran's blog he is now using the code from the Linden's performance viewerm I been trying it and indeed does seem to run pretty fast. I want to try to start using BD in my videos again some things I still have to figure out wwhat exactly they do

I plan on doing alot more testing to ensure I can use it to video "live" events but so far, it appears the update is working well

You ought to try out the Beta Firestorm viewer.  Has all the bell and whistles of the new LL viewer and doesn't replace the current Firestorm viewer.  It's quite amazing IMO.

4 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

Link?

On the firestorm website at the bottom of their current post is the link to join the preview group.  The notecard from group notices has the link.

Edited by Rowan Amore

2 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

From my useage, zero difference so far in performance

Disable VSync in preferences, Graphics -> Hardware Rendering tab, as its enabled by default, and try again.

Just remember, that in such a case your GPU may generate more frames than your screen is able to display. Therefore, a waste.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I tried the new FS Beta. From my useage, zero difference so far in performance. Reading the readme,txt, it doesn't say its based on the Linden performance viewer code, just a few versions behind the current LL release

Their current release is behind the LL viewer.  

From the notecard about the Beta release:

Even with our last release, we are a few releases behind LL. This brings us up to parity with their latest viewer releases.

Ok it appears I stand corrected. Turned off vsynch. Set both beta and latest FS release the same settings, (Shaders and shadows on with ALM, avi count 40 avi detail 10 obj detail 2) check fps in a crowded sim (60 avis)

FS release 6.5.6.66221 8,5 FPS

FS Beta54 6.6.2.67137 40FPS

Ill continue using beta see if I get any crashes, but as it is now, this could be a game changer for me videoing weddings, I am usualy lucky with 60 avis present to even get 8FPS

And since my original thread was about BD, I checked BD in the same crowded sim. while its impossible to a apples to apples comparision between BD and FS it appears I was getting about 25FPS  on BD - one thing to note though on BD it appears it was using more cores on the CPU

• Like 4

On 8/4/2022 at 10:19 PM, Henri Beauchamp said:

This is a side effect, yes. Since the viewer renders more frames per second, the power drawn from the GPU increases... And indeed, sometimes, it can get a little overwhelming (especially when the GPU fans start roaring), thus why I implemented an optional frame limiter in the Cool VL Viewer (but a smart kind of frame limiter, that does not ruin textures fetching and decoding, for example, but on the contrary uses the ”free time” in each frame to load/decode more of them). With LL's viewer (and likely BD), your only option is to use Vsync to limit the frame rate (but it ruins the rezzing performances)...

I'm using the old framerate limiter (that LL removed because it had adverse effects on Intel GPU performance), sadly it is very broken now and only allows limiting in certain amount of steps (didn't look like 10 it was seemingly random but also somewhat linear). With it i can currently only limit the framerate to super weird targets like 13/17/24/33/66 FPS. It is surely better than nothing but i'd consider it one of the number one things to remove if anything happens. If i saw that correct its simply sleeping the main thread, thus having the same effect as VSync... i wonder if all the people who complain about super slow loading times are limiting their framerate and are experiencing these because of that, tho i've seen pretty fast loading times even with low framerates.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.