Mystery Music

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So ...

I've never set up music on any land I've owned. However, a few days ago I started hearing music. It consists of a few commercials then a few songs that are repeated endlessly. Both MEDIA and SOUND are blank. I hear it both in FireStorm and SL Viewer. My alts hear it also.

Any suggestions on how to find and eliminate this?

Thanks in advance,

Egon

21 minutes ago, Egon Rothschild said:

So ...

I've never set up music on any land I've owned. However, a few days ago I started hearing music. It consists of a few commercials then a few songs that are repeated endlessly. Both MEDIA and SOUND are blank. I hear it both in FireStorm and SL Viewer. My alts hear it also.

Any suggestions on how to find and eliminate this?

Thanks in advance,

Egon

If the sound is coming from an object, the above setting will fix it for you --- BUT, if you like hearing other sounds (nature and such that might be around) that setting will also silence those for you.

If it is coming from Media on someone else's land, I'm not sure the above setting will handle it.  You can possibly use Firestorm Area Search to track down the offending object and block it.  There is a sound search also, I think, but not sure how that works or if it would be useful here.

6 minutes ago, Egon Rothschild said:

I've had "Restrict gesture and object sounds ..." checked already. I toggled it off and on. No change.

As I found out recently this checkmark in land settings doesn't affect media playing from some object outside your parcel. (Neighbors forgot to turn music on their yacht off, we were very puzzled where the extra music stream is coming from). Quick way to check if your case is media related or not - toggle off and back on playing media sounds in your viewer's settings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Egon Rothschild said:

Thanks, June.

As I said earlier, I've done this. No change.

Nope, you were talking about sound and media restricted to the parcel setting earlier, I just went over the whole thread and checked. The setting I am talking about is play media sound in sound settings. Or as in ChinRey shown in screenshot for full settings menu. These two settings handle different things.

43e9b22e55d51fe05f563a74785a6df5.png

On 8/4/2022 at 6:54 PM, ChinRey said:

This is the setting you want then:

image.png.9e7a54918020c883d347357fef5a2581.png

On 8/4/2022 at 10:54 PM, June Starlight said:

Nope, you were talking about sound and media restricted to the parcel setting earlier, I just went over the whole thread and checked. The setting I am talking about is play media sound in sound settings. Or as in ChinRey shown in screenshot for full settings menu. These two settings handle different things.

43e9b22e55d51fe05f563a74785a6df5.png

Thank you both, ChinRey and June. The problem may be moot. It's been two days since I've been in SL. I've been in-game now for almost two hours. No mystery music. Maybe there was a sim reset and that solved the problem. 

Again, thanks to all for your input.

Egon

• Like 2

I had a similar problem a long time ago, a sound like dark Gothic choral music that kept repeating.  I managed to find the object the sound came from (a card table) and block it.

So maybe try and find the object emitting the sound (with "show transparent" enabled in case it's invisible), and then block it.  The sound often gets louder as you get closer to the object.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2022 at 2:19 PM, Conifer Dada said:

I had a similar problem a long time ago, a sound like dark Gothic choral music that kept repeating.  I managed to find the object the sound came from (a card table) and block it.

So maybe try and find the object emitting the sound (with "show transparent" enabled in case it's invisible), and then block it.  The sound often gets louder as you get closer to the object.

Thanks, Conifer, but I already said that is disappeared. I assume a region restart removed it.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 674 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.