Looking For Answers For Two Inquiries:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I know exactly where that is.  People use SEARCH to find things.  You can search for Roleplay and gets all kinds of things.  Narrow your search to Groups only to find Role play groups.

Screenshot_20220803-171507.thumb.png.40a6c0424f54932635e199c56f60bf9d.png

And that is the search engine which can generally specifically narrow down your search of what you're looking for i.e. groups, people, shopping, events Etc. But what I am referring to is directly found within the top part of the viewer itself and not the magnifying search part. For god sakes I mean how can people who have been on second life forever today not know about the destinations part within the viewer!?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It's a toolbar button, easily accessible.  Search.

Duhhhhhhh. I don't know why this is so complicated to understand from one perspective to another. If you already knew what I was referring to then why do you persist on catechizing me. I mean it seems like you're just just trying to provoke me into some sort of ensnarement of trying to make me come off as some sort of dunderhead. And honestly I don't appreciate it nor am I going to indulge you and try to make me out to be the schlepper any more.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, IbNuckinFutz said:

And the reason I so desire to promote/market searching groups is because there are an insurmountable number of groups and regions within the Second Life's Destinations Directory, yet too many to count are not as prevalent or known about by most second lifers simply for the fact that the SL viewers Destinations 'What's Hot Now' or 'Editors Pick' seem not promote newer groups or lesser known groups as often as they do other certain groups. Hypothetically, those who are wanting to be more than just participating avatars and have the desire to start up a group or of their own, may get discouraged and lose interest in doing their group because they don't get the same attention/traffic as other groups that are frequently in the SL viewers Destinations 'What's Hot Now' or 'Editors Pick' limelight.

I'm a little confused as to how you would promote groups via the Destinations Guide (which does have a category for newly added destinations). 

The Destinations Guide is about places to visit whether or not the place has a group - and it doesn't include ALL places, only places where the owner has applied to be in the Destinations Guide. 

The Destinations Guide can also be accessed by a toolbar button.  For a full listing of all the categories that are in the Destinations Guide, go to Second Life | Destination Guide - Virtual World Directory via the secondlife.com site. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, IbNuckinFutz said:

And that is the search engine which can generally specifically narrow down your search of what you're looking for i.e. groups, people, shopping, events Etc. But what I am referring to is directly found within the top part of the viewer itself and not the magnifying search part. For god sakes I mean how can people who have been on second life forever today not know about the destinations part within the viewer!?

But isn't that what your business is supposed to be about?  Helping people find what they want or getting their business out there to be found?  I'm not trying to.provoke anything either.  People use the Search engine to search for things not the destination guide.

Destinations only shows destinations as in places to go.

Anyway, good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I'm a little confused as to how you would promote groups via the Destinations Guide (which does have a category for newly added destinations). 

The Destinations Guide is about places to visit whether or not the place has a group - and it doesn't include ALL places, only places where the owner has applied to be in the Destinations Guide. 

The Destinations Guide can also be accessed by a toolbar button.  For a full listing of all the categories that are in the Destinations Guide, go to Second Life | Destination Guide - Virtual World Directory via the secondlife.com site. 

Well that's the general idea behind what I'm trying to do; to figure out a way to promote newly added destinations or those that are wanting to be more in the Limelight so to speak. I've talked to the concierge services and they are sending me contact information for somebody/ a department in second life so I can contact them to discuss a possible solution to do as such.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, IbNuckinFutz said:

Unfortunately I'm not able to share images for some reason I haven't figured out why on here but no that is be magnifying glass looking thing you're talkin about I'm referring to the top of the SL viewer where one will find "Avatar - Comm - World - Build- Content - Help" and if you click on the tablet says World scroll down past Resync Animations - Nearby Avatar - Radar - Teleport History - Places and finally Destinations. If it click that one one will discover what I aforementioned previously.

This menu?  (That's Firestorm's viewer, but the standard SL viewer has the same option in its World menu.) 

16c3beccaaa29943aacf56e634df1a88.png

Yup, that's the Destination Guide.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

But isn't that what your business is supposed to be about?  Helping people find what they want or getting their business out there to be found?  I'm not trying to.provoke anything either.  People use the Search engine to search for things not the destination guide.

Destinations only shows destinations as in places to go.

Anyway, good luck.

And I made it clear that I understand that is exactly what the toolbar search engine. But what isn't being understood that I've said is that NOT everybody uses sad toolbar search engine to find groups or whatever they're looking for. Most just use the general I'd destinations tab found within the "World" tab.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, IbNuckinFutz said:

Well that's the general idea behind what I'm trying to do; to figure out a way to promote newly added destinations or those that are wanting to be more in the Limelight so to speak. I've talked to the concierge services and they are sending me contact information for somebody/ a department in second life so I can contact them to discuss a possible solution to do as such.

If you're talking about new Destination Guide entries, then perhaps you could ask that the "Recently Added" category be added to the Destinations window that displays in the viewer.  If you go to the web link I posted in my comment above, you'll see that at the very top of the list of Destination categories is "Recently Added".  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

This menu?  (That's Firestorm's viewer, but the standard SL viewer has the same option in its World menu.) 

16c3beccaaa29943aacf56e634df1a88.png

Yup, that's the Destination Guide.

Yes that is correct that as the main one that most everybody uses. And as I said repeatedly, from my research of talking to numerous avatars according to them they do not use the search engine Toolbar to find groups or destinations they use the top menu destinations tab to find groups or locations to go to. Though there is a handful people that actually go about searching for groups and locations using said toolbar search engine. Such as myself hints how I found other groups outside of the cherry picked destinations found under the main menu.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, IbNuckinFutz said:

And I made it clear that I understand that is exactly what the toolbar search engine. But what isn't being understood that I've said is that NOT everybody uses sad toolbar search engine to find groups or whatever they're looking for. Most just use the general I'd destinations tab found within the "World" tab.

The Destinations Guide isn't going to help you find groups. 

I use the guide in the viewer when I'm looking for someplace to sightsee or take pictures, but often I got to the web version of the Destination Guide to find new entries to the guide, or to find something in one of the other categories that is not displayed in the viewer destination window.  Other times, I might use search, because the Destination Guide does not have all the places of the type I might be looking for.  

If I'm looking for a group, I definitely use search.

Edited by MoiraKathleen
changed "control" to "destination window"
  • Like 3

If you're talking about new Destination Guide entries, then perhaps you could ask that the "Recently Added" category be added to the Destinations window that displays in the viewer.  If you go to the web link I posted in my comment above, you'll see that at the very top of the list of Destination categories is "Recently Added".  

I get that and I know about that already. Yet that's only found under the main destinations guide on the main website itself and most don't actually go there to search for groups as gathered from surveying multiple Avatar/ individuals in Second Life. I was hoping that somebody in Second Life I would add that particular category newly add a groups as an additional category under the destinations menu.

The Destinations Guide isn't going to help you find groups. 

I use the guide in the viewer when I'm looking for someplace to sightsee or take pictures, but often I got to the web version of the Destination Guide to find new entries to the guide, or to find something in one of the other categories that is not displayed in the viewer control.  Other times, I might use search, because the Destination Guide does not have all the places of the type I might be looking for.  

If I'm looking for a group, I definitely use search.

If one was looking for more specific group niches, then they would indeed be able to find a group. But for more generalized groups they can be found in SL viewer in the main menus destinations tab.

• Haha 1

Just now, IbNuckinFutz said:

If one was looking for more specific group niches, then they would indeed be able to find a group. But for more generalized groups they can be found in SL viewer in the main menus destinations tab.

Perhaps I'm confused - when you say groups do you mean something more general - like categories of places (rather than an actual SL Group which may or may not pertain to a location or anything in the Destination Guide)?  

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

No, they don't.   They'd only use that for Destinations.  Most people use Search.

Not according to my research bud. I don't know what information your referencing, but I am referring to actual gathered answers from individuals that I talked to on various different regions/ groups. And according to the people I talk to they stated that they hardly ever use the search engine toolbar to find anything let alone groups or regions, instead they just use the destinations tab in the main menu in their SL viewer.

2 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Perhaps I'm confused - when you say groups do you mean something more general - like categories of places (rather than an actual SL Group which may or may not pertain to a location or anything in the Destination Guide)?  

What I'm referring to when I say groups generalization of categories of interest go to list it and beneath those are the subcategory niches of said category that offers teleports to certain groups.

• Haha 1

Not according to my research bud. I don't know what information your referencing, but I am referring to actual gathered answers from individuals that I talked to on various different regions/ groups. And according to the people I talk to they stated that they hardly ever use the search engine toolbar to find anything let alone groups or regions, instead they just use the destinations tab in the main menu in their SL viewer.

You might want to consider forum members as another source of your research with the realization that - as with just about anything in SL - there is more than one way to get something done. 

So, this part of the conversation has gone around in circles a couple of times and it will go around a few more times if we let it.  I think you probably found out what you wanted to learn here, and you've done some sort of in world research.  I'd say, go ahead and give it a try.  If there's a market, you'll fit right in.  If not, well, at least you tried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What I'm referring to when I say groups generalization of categories of interest go to list it and beneath those are the subcategory niches of said category that offers teleports to certain groups.

Because we have an actual thing called Groups in SL, I think your use of the term to describe categories of locations is very confusing.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Because we have an actual thing called Groups in SL, I think your use of the term to describe categories of locations is very confusing.

As far as I know, you can't teleport to a group and destinations are places not groups.  It would seem even MORE confusing to put any groups in a destinations category.

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

As far as I know, you can't teleport to a group and destinations are places not groups.  It would seem even MORE confusing to put any groups in a destinations category.

I wouldn't think SL groups would ever be put in a destinations category. 

I do think the "Recently Added" category should be added to the categories included in the viewer Destinations window though. 

• Like 2

This is way more complicated than it should be! Nothing I am posting should not be as confusing as you are all making it out to be. Especially if you are all seasoned second lifers. I don't know why I'm getting the third degree and scrutinized by everyone for everything that I've posted. It seems no matter where show me this posted there is always confutation, controversy, and skepticism from the cognoscenti.   

I just want to delete this forum post, because so far what I've gathered from everybody's answers is that people getting along just fine with finding groups and that I am what I'm trying to do is completely unnecessary and not worth the effort. So if the all knowing gurus of Second Life would please tell me how to delete my forum post, I 'll than obliged to do so.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IbNuckinFutz said:

This is way more complicated than it should be! Nothing I am posting should not be as confusing as you are all making it out to be. Especially if you are all seasoned second lifers. I don't know why I'm getting the third degree and scrutinized by everyone for everything that I've posted. It seems no matter where show me this posted there is always confutation, controversy, and skepticism from the cognoscenti.   

I just want to delete this forum post, because so far what I've gathered from everybody's answers is that people getting along just fine with finding groups and that I am what I'm trying to do is completely unnecessary and not worth the effort. So if the all knowing gurus of Second Life would please tell me how to delete my forum post, I 'll than obliged to do so.

You can report your own thread and ask the mods to close or delete it, but that is unlikely. You can also delete the content of each of your posts individually, but not the posts themselves.

Can I just observe, however, that everyone who has responded here has endeavored to understand and be helpful? I've seen no one being deliberately difficult. And these people -- Rolig, Rowan and Moira -- are, in my book, some of the least deliberately provocative people we have on this forum. A researcher should perhaps exhibit a bit more patience and an ability to listen?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You can report your own thread and ask the mods to close or delete it, but that is unlikely. You can also delete the content of each of your posts individually, but not the posts themselves.

As far as I know, the mods won't delete a thread that has already had some activity unless it goes sailing off the rails and violates guidelines.  You can, of course, erase the content of your own post within the first 24 hours, but that can leave gaping holes that make it confusing for anyone who comes along to read later -- not always the impression that you want to leave.  My own advice would be that once you've reached the point when it feels better to just walk away .... you ought to just walk away.  The thread will fade into memory in a week or less.  ;) 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 670 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.