Wow SL Can Sure Be Expensive

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I currently spend more in SL right now then I had the prior last few years this costs includes land both private islands & mainland. On average with land and shopping about $700 a month. (This could change if RL inflation keeps going up as paying $150 a week for gas to get back/forth to work is starting to drain me.)

In the past it had been much less due to feeling SL was being abandoned by the lab for that gold plated turkey they called Sansar.

Looking back over the last two decades I noticed almost every change I made was the direct result of something LL would do, if they did something bad that many were upset over often this would upset me too were I'd abandoned my lands then just hangout in a sandbox not spending money, if enough time went by and nothing negative was coming out of the lab and SL seemed stable I'd buy lands, spend more while being much more happy.

I believe you could pay nothing or alot of money and get the same results it just depends on your expectations and what you believe you need to have at a baseline level for your SL.

Edited by NevaehHeartstrings
Hole lOT of gRAmmer ErroRS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Depends on what I want, I now spend about average 60 dollars a month on SL 40 for my rental and 20 for whatever else. I'm considering upgrading to the new membership just to get the sign up bonus and more $L to save up for something i want to get. I can't afford anything other than my 1/4 homestead plot. If land was cheaper for a full sim would be easier. or at least make it where premium plus memberships get a discount on land every month. like 100 dollars off would be nice. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 12:08 AM, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't think I spent more than $ 240/ year on average.  $20/ month isn't bad.

That's kind of where I'm at too. And I'm okay with it. I used to spend $50 to $100 a night easily at a club or bar when I was in my 20's and 30's so... now i just go to dinner parties at other people's houses and decorate in SL lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It has been nearly a year since I paid for this years premium membership, and the total expenses since then has been $136 and change(including the premium membership).  I was doing pretty well without purchasing linden, but I saw something I really wanted, was inebriated and well.. yeah impulse control issues set in while I was in my relaxed state of being a couple of times this past few months.. 

I try to earn my linden playing various games in world, doing things I enjoy.  I don't like spending real life money, because that means I have to spend more of my real life time, working.  

For me, SL can get expensive when I am a bit tipsy and decide to browse the marketplace.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well SL CAN be expensive. It also depends entirely on what you do here, but that seems obvious.

I decided to buy land a few years ago. Not a whole region, that became too expensive for me, especially since I have to pay VAT as a European.

But now I have three small sims adjacent to each other that add up to 15,872.00 square metres, within the boundaries of 17,000 square metres.

So I pay US$81.07 monthly (VAT included).

The same amount up to US$100 I spend monthly on marketplace purchases.

I am someone who, as you would call it in RL, scours flea markets and antique shops. I want the best for my land and buy a lot of what I end up not actually using, but which I then know if it 'works' in that place or not. It's all not cheap and if the costs were less, I would buy more land to really establish a Dutch experience. But I am not dissatisfied. And as several people here have said: many hobbies are expensive. If you get pleasure from it, it all depends on whether you find the costs outweigh the pleasure.

I'd make myself sick if I add up 15 years of SL spending.

The worst was at the height of the pandemic with little else for us to do. Stress spending....

Suffice to say, I've curbed the urge for Lindens a lot this past year. Spending more on land costs because playing house brings me joy, but much less on the alts and overall shopping. I've become a lot more picky about what I buy.

• Like 1

Sometimes people call me crazy, but I always calculate the cost of "weird currencies" - be it in SL or in games etc., where they invariably try to conceal the actual cost of their digital wares by making you first buy a weird currency and then spend that, rather than "real" money, for whatever they peddle.

It's something I will always recommend - not that you shouldn't spend whatever you want on your hobby, but it should be an informed choice rather than letting yourself get tempted into spending more than you should. I detest that companies live off this.

At the very top of my "SL notes", I have the calculated cost of various amounts of L$, so I know that when I spend so-and-so many L$, I actually spend so-and-so much -actual- money.

I calculate it by initiating a purchase of a realistic amount of L$ (for instance 5000), the viewer then tells me what that would cost in dollars, I ask Google what that would translate to in my currency, and then I divide it by 5 to know what 1000 L$ costs, by 10 more to know what 100 L$ costs and so on.

For land tier, it's $35/month for me, as I own an 8192 parcel with access to Blake to sail, plus a small 1024 parcel attached to that I have yet to work on, that is my 1024 premium allowance. I probably spend an extra $20 (??) a month shopping.

This is why a jump to P+ and homestead is something I have yet to commit to but am still considering, and I need to budget for carefully. It's one thing to spend $60/month with premium included, another thing entirely to jump to $130/month.

The only other online game I play I maybe spend $30/month buying gold (to keep my tanks supplied with better ammo, and stem the loss of general expereince with a meager 40% win rate in my upper tier vehicles, etc).

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.