Will it get better? Question from a new resident

Renfieldandmina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Are you stalking me @Kalegthepsionicist?

You may not have said it but you should have noted the difference between the two if you were going to comment at all so as not to confuse.   Skilled gaming = Lindens to play and why I specified NOT skilled gaming.  

Anyway...🙄.  Games are a good place to socialize.  People are mostly talking in local or voice chat in the board game places I've been to.

noted-note.gif

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Eta...bows out so you can have the last word.  🤐

dawsons-creek-james-van-der-beek.gif

yes please you are very annoying me.

i tell you this

since you talk to me like talking to kid. I am not kid and I not have secondlife ,. 

you do not know me , and not my friend so pls be polite. understand !!

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Welcome to SL. 30 days is not a long time. It's pretty usual, sometimes for relatively good reasons.
Enjoy being new and take it all in. You will get friends, some you'll regret, others will last and you'll really appreciate. Hang out at the newb areas, keep an open mind but also have your antennas out a bit. Be open about being new and curious, accept help and remember that there is always an X in the upper corner if you feel things get out of hand. You can always log back in at another place.

Take up the offers made here, these are good folks. Join some groups and ask as eloquently as you have done here. Lots of folks love to help, really.

And congrats on a good post introducing yourself. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how to do it. Stick it out, you'll do well.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

1 week is enough to make ppl leave, 30 days is ridiculous age limit thats why sl is dying

Let's say you've had a place for a long time, and experiences vary.. SL is made out of lots of different folks, with various experiences. Is 30 days really so unreasonable, given the amount of trolling and what not? I see you've chosen to stick around. Hope you stay for  a while and have some nice experiences.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Let's say you've had a place for a long time, and experiences vary.. SL is made out of lots of different folks, with various experiences. Is 30 days really so unreasonable, given the amount of trolling and what not? I see you've chosen to stick around. Hope you stay for  a while and have some nice experiences.

the only reason I am in sl because my partner .

there are nothing we can do here .  decorate a house after finish we move. and start from begining again. there are no social friend here  tbh.  social in here is hook up   and bdsm .

if you are not into it nothing you can do. she ask me about become content creator I said its not worth for me to invest time and more cash .

btw she is old avatar 13 yrs old avatar.  not new

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Renfieldandmina said:

I am in sl since 12 days.

My question

Do you have any recommendations what I could do to improve my situation in sl? Some important things to learn or important things to know? Will it get better by time or will it remain a struggle? What could be an important next step?

Take your time. Don't try to learn too much at one sitting. That will just frustrate you. If you decide to take some time away at first, fine. It'll be here when you come back. Don't allow the naysayers to hamstring you. This will just slow you down.

Take your time. Build your Avi at your rate. It will change over time. Start with the basic Avi offered by SL, but dollars to donuts,  you will eventually want to upgrade to a premium body/head. There are many to choose from. Yes, they are expensive (relatively speaking), but in the long run you won't look back. With that said, I can not emphasize this enough...DEMO, DEMO, DEMO! Don't buy before demoing for looks and fit. This goes with clothes as well as body/heads.

Take your time. When you are comfortable, learn some basic editing. This will be handy when you move into a house and need to move furniture and what not around. Learn the 'X', 'Y' and 'Z' axis. You don't need to learn just yet. Put on a "To Do" list.

It will remain a struggle until, through sheer repetition, you start remembering how something works. Then it gets easier. Every poster at this forum has been there, done that. We were all noobs at one time. Just maintain course headings and you'll be okay. There are plenty of suggestions I could give you, but no sense in overloading you now. In time, you will figure your own progress.

Oh. Take your time.

I must say one last thing. Second Life is not a game. If you refer to it as such, the purists may come out of the woodwork (myself included) to correct you. There is no goal, no winning levels and no prize at the end. It is an experience. You will always be learning something. I hope some will come here and toss you more suggestions/recommendations.

Take your time and have fun. Welcome to SL.

• Like 11

The above post is awesome. I fully agree.

Learning the ins and outs of the editor window takes some time but once you have that down, you have incredible powers.

The size, rotation and location sliders are great. You can drag something into place with the arrow handles, then bump it a little with the location slider until it's perfect.

You can adjust things by a hundred-thousandth of a meter if you have to!

A lot of the overwhelmingness of SL comes from what I call "full fridge" syndrome. You figure a snack would be nice, you open the fridge, and (I never have this problem, but humor me) it's so full of stuff you just freeze up, not knowing what to eat, and end up walking away, still hungry.

Don't walk away, just hold the fridge open and take some time to see what goodies it's packed with. Sample a little, and before you know it, tummy all full.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Truer words have never been spoken I guess. I am learning and am "into it", at least lots of it. Take care man.

I'm just wondering when he's gonna start doing nothing, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Renfieldandmina said:

Again, thank you for the friendly words and ecouragement. Sl might be indifferent, but you are kind people.

And btw. I actually really try to learn everything at the same time. I should propably just enjoy the process and calm down.

Look up Sturgeon's Law, sometime, it says it all. Hi, we're the 10% that aren't poopy.

I found that I do my best learning when I have a goal in mind. First I learned all about how to make an avatar, etc. Then I learned how to do stuff like dance, etc., and how to stop animations, undeform, etc. All of this was basic "body" learning, and had similar goals to it: look nice, and don't get all messed up.

When I learned how to script, I had some prior experience with other scripting languages, but it was still a lot to learn, so I focused on learning only what I needed to know to make whatever project I was working on, well, work. Each time I try making or doing something new, I hit an obstacle at some point, and that is when I learn more, in overcoming said obstacle. Every failure leads to success.

Nobody ever learned to juggle 12 balls in the air at once, by starting with all of them in the air at once. You learn with one thing, then add another, then the next thing you know, you're able to manage the whole circus. I have faith in you, you're so obviously not stupid that I know you're going to do great in SL and you're already becoming one of us. Keep that enthusiasm, and savor the obstacles, and one day you'll look back and wonder how you got so far as if it was nothing. XD

I look forward to seeing you helping new people one day, as well. It feels nice.

• Like 6

And in modern SL it's something usual from residents who live here in SL for a long time and who upgraded to full Mesh/Bento heads and bodies not to chat with new residents they think they don't worth their time to talk or hang out with new Residents. I still have a lot to learn myself but I will do my best to help you with some advices or assistance if you need some help to get sl work for you. I am sure you will find friends here with time

Edited by MorrianaDarkstar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, MorrianaDarkstar said:

And to help you learn stuff there is Sim called Builders Brewery it's like free school in second life that teach different skills that will help you in the future, 

Seconded, one of the better sims for learning about this stuff. They also have some really nice stuff for making things.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, MorrianaDarkstar said:

And in modern SL it's something usual from residents who live here in SL for a long time and who upgraded to full Mesh/Bento heads and bodies not to chat with new residents they think they don't worth their time to talk or hang out with new Residents.

Who wants to talk with people who think they are special snowflakes in the first place?
Sadly self importance and drama are no rare commodities in SL.
But there are still tons of people who are glad to help and are friendly and kind when you meet them and start talking.

• Like 5

https://secondlife.com/destination/happy-hippo-building-school

https://secondlife.com/destination/ivory-tower-library-of-primatives

https://secondlife.com/destination/college-of-scripting

https://secondlife.com/destination/the-texture-tutorial-and-texture-library

https://secondlife.com/destination/builders-brewery

This is some places to visit and learn things. No need to rush take your time. Most important thing is to have fun while learning new things. And I am sure you will find people who will be your friends. As other residents here mentioned we are here to help. Don't be afraid to ask we all was new residents ones just remember have fun and enjoy the SL there is  so much to explore and new stuff/places are added on regular basis.

Edited by MorrianaDarkstar
  • Like 5

I see joining groups was briefly mentioned by others, but this is worth figuring out if you haven't already. Once you're in a group, you can chat to other members and will get notices for things like events. Some locations and events have group joiners (which either bring up a window asking if you want to join or give you a link in local to click to bring up the join window). You can also search for groups by name using the search tool and join that way. I would avoid ones that charge a fee at this point and also avoid shop groups unless you want the gifts (most shop groups aren't that social and are filled with people complaining about products).

Big multi-day events will often have more going on, an active group, and events where people actually speak to each other. Summer tends to be a bit quiet and the birthday is wrapping up right now, but autumn is usually packed with events.

What sort of things do you like doing outside of Second Life? We can probably point you to a few groups and events based on that.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, MorrianaDarkstar said:

Speaking of events SecondLifeBirthday Event is full with activities shopping gifts live music...

And they glued gears on everything too! Don't forget that part! XD

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:06 PM, Renfieldandmina said:

My question

Do you have any recommendations what I could do to improve my situation in sl? Some important things to learn or important things to know? Will it get better by time or will it remain a struggle? What could be an important next step?

Yes!

There are numerous blogs and youtube video tutorials explaining Second Life stuff. You can save a lot of time and frustration, if you simply take maybe half an hour of your time and watch/read a few of those. You do read IKEA instructions before you start. You do read IKEA instruction do you???

And yes, it will get better. Just like with every new culture you are getting into: Integration is key. Here a couple of things you might consider: 

Stop Acting Like a Noob! – Best 14 Tips to Get Settled in The Second Life Community

Here a beginners tutorial:

There are similar ones about mesh, about land buying, about creating things. So useful!

• Like 4

Im glad I came across this post. Its encouraging. I am fairly new and finding a lot of the same. Luckily I have a couple of friends already on here so I wasn't completely alone when I started. However,  I also want to meet more people and find my niche here. :)

• Like 6

On 6/30/2022 at 1:01 PM, Renfieldandmina said:

Thank you for your quick replies and ideas. I really appreciate that. I just needed a little bit of encouragement.

I will stick with it and try to increase my comfort zone from day to day.

Welcome to Second Life ~  give it time,  it does get better and easier!!!    Spending some time in these forums is very helpful,  at least it helped me a lot back when I first started.   

Good luck!!!    

• Like 4

No, it will probably get worst while other stuff is coming out since the "metaverse" is a trend again (like it was in the early 2000s) but SL despite being the most advanced right now and could just be way better than anyone, is not able to keep it up and they didn't even try to get new users in, infact SL userbase themselves are not used to new people, that's why there is a 30 days limit, or people kicks you out if you have a "bad avatar" or if you are very new, they may think you are a griefer, is weird to see "old style" avatars around or very new people, people are just not used to it anymore, SL is populated mostly from people here from years and that for some reason keeps logging in.

So from the "SL side" no, it will not get any better. But from your personal side and your point of view it may be, maybe knowing some people, managing to enter into a "circle" of friends etc.. Depends also what are you looking for, what are your interests etc..

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.