The Media Discovers Fashion (but only once Zuckerberg brings it up)

Dana Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today there's an article by the New York Times fashion editor

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/22/style/meta-avatar-store-balenciaga-prada.html?smid=url-share 

and a video in CNN Business

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/media/2022/06/22/zuckerberg-meta-avatar-fashion-moos-pkg-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/wacky-world-of-jeanne-moos/

All about META opening a new store where you can buy stuff for your Meta avatar.  This stuff looks like what we had in 2004, but somehow 19 years of Second Life talent and creativity doesn't exist.

Zuck has thrown us a real opportunity to reach millions more people, but are we going to just let it go by?

Find these articles, and WRITE COMMENTS where you can. A simple Google search of meta clothing store  brought up a PILE of them.  (You will find my own comment attached to the NYT article.)

Don't let the world ignore the amazing work that thousands have done inside SL!  And don't let the media (whom I actually have a ton of respect for) pass over us like this.

Sorry about the rant, but we deserve better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

well, I would make a comment but on the New York times page they want you to pay for a subscription in order to even read it, never mind make any comments. and on the other page there is no option to make any comments.  But seriously, Zuke has an avatar?  When FB shut down my Tazz account saying I was not a real person.   The only comment I can make is here, and in all honesty Zuke needs to check out SL if he wants to see what an attractive avatar really looks like.  His is down right goofy looking lol. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm surprised they make you subscribe just to read that one article; sorry about that.  But search Google for "meta clothing store" and you'll find a pile of articles all coming off the same Meta press release.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Most are just going to take off their clothes, and run around nakey and legless anyway. I mean, why not?

Not legless, but I wonder what kind of attachments they'll use to represent their missing parts?  🍆 🌽 🍗 🦴 🥖 🌯 🌭🥕 🐈😹 🌮 🐹 🦔 🐡  ???

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 12:31 PM, Dana Enyo said:

This stuff looks like what we had in 2004, but somehow 19 years of Second Life talent and creativity doesn't exist.

This is because Meta has significant market clout.

Brett was right at the marketing meeting, there are lots of journalists who's only job is to breathlessly cover whatever Meta are doing today.

Making the best counts for nothing. It's just an extension of thinking that "build and they will come" is true.

Like it or not, Meta are the leading player right now simply because they are present to a large degree is most people's lives.

• Like 1

Thank you Coffee, you're right.  But can't we make our voices heard on this?  I'm pleased to say my comment on this was accepted and posted in the online NYT; their editors do read this stuff.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 684 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.