Do Religious Cults and "Secret Societies" Exist in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yeah, it's wild. Not only that a person can be so susceptible to something like that, but that there are people who know exactly how to manipulate them. This is why I can't watch documentaries on this stuff, despite how much I'd love to. Am I fascinated by it? Yup. But yeesh, the more I learn, the less I wish I knew!

I find that I can't watch a lot of things that I used to really be interested in..

I think a lot has to do with getting a zillion versions of the same thing.. That and those damn scripted reality shows taking over things like history channel and I forget the other one now.. hehehe

I find I look too hard for agendas now in everything, since  that has been so taken advantage of in so many things..

I'm just really gun shy on a lot of things I used to find enjoyable. I hate that I'm like that now..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I find I look too hard for agendas now in everything, since  that has been so taken advantage of in so many things..

"Agenda" - another word similar to "pretext"! Man, wish I knew what "pretext" really meant years ago!

Kind of like how so many people think "cult" only means one thing!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I find that I can't watch a lot of things that I used to really be interested in..

I think a lot has to do with getting a zillion versions of the same thing.. That and those damn scripted reality shows taking over things like history channel and I forget the other one now.. hehehe

I'm just really gun shy on a lot of things I used to find enjoyable. I hate that I'm like that now..

Oh for me, it's just terrifying. I can read horror books all day long (grew up on them, in fact), so I'm no stranger to creative minds and horrifying scenarios, but when things get too real (like the True Crime genre), I run off screaming, lol. 

Oddly, I watch a lot of criminal trials (because the "why/how????" morbid curiosity takes over and it sounds like a great idea in the beginning) - but then I regret it when more and more evidence gets presented - the journals and notebooks, the plans, the diagrams,  the criminal saying yeah sure I did it AND, AND??? (or worse, the insanity plea and the evidence that follows THAT) - yeah that...that's when it gets to be too much for me. 😂 I'm too squeamish for it, despite how utterly fascinated I am with the darker side of human mind.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"Agenda" - another word similar to "pretext"! Man, wish I knew what "pretext" really meant years ago!

Kind of like how so many people think "cult" only means one thing!

Yea that does tend to happen to a lot of words, especially these days.. hehehe

Remember when cake was something you baked? hehehehe

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh for me, it's just terrifying. I can read horror books all day long (grew up on them, in fact), so I'm no stranger to creative minds and horrifying scenarios, but when things get too real (like the True Crime genre), I run off screaming, lol. 

Oddly, I watch a lot of criminal trials (because the "why/how????" morbid curiosity takes over and it sounds like a great idea in the beginning) - but then I regret it when more and more evidence gets presented - the journals and notebooks, the plans, the diagrams,  the criminal saying yeah sure I did it AND, AND??? (or worse, the insanity plea and the evidence that follows THAT) - yeah that...that's when it gets to be too much for me. 😂 I'm too squeamish for it, despite how utterly fascinated I am with the darker side of human mind.

I find comedies are my favorite thing to watch.. Even then ,sometimes I'll be in a mood where I feel embarrassed for someone in certain parts in the movie and have to either skip passed a certain part or just not watch it..

Where that came from ,I have no idea..

It seems fine the first time, but if I know it's coming i avoid it for some reason.. It's not happening to me,so I don't understand it really.

• Like 1

There are a lot of programs on cults of late. The TV ones are often overly-sensationalized, so I listen to Conspirituality, Indoctrination, and A Little Big Culty podcasts.  The power abuses in the stories are hard to hear at times, but enlightening. So many cults I'd never heard of. 

https://conspirituality.net/ 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/indoctrination/id1373939526

https://www.alittlebitculty.com/

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There are a lot of programs on cults of late. The TV ones are often overly-sensationalized, so I listen to Conspirituality, Indoctrination, and A Little Big Culty podcasts.  The power abuses in the stories are hard to hear at times, but enlightening. So many cults I'd never heard of. 

https://conspirituality.net/ 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/indoctrination/id1373939526

https://www.alittlebitculty.com/

Oh yeah, podcasts would be big in that space, I'd imagine. My brother's into True Crime podcasts (still NOPE for me!), and I know there are plenty of those around.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well that reminds me, this Metaverse thing seems kind of cultish.

*whispers* No, that's just a grift, shhhh.

Nah I'm kidding. Real talk - Zuck's not charismatic enough to be considered a cult leader. 😂

Okay okay lemme stop. Back on topic, guys! Cults in SL...ready, set...go!

Edit: Wait - have any of us actually checked in-world Search for known cult names to see if anything actually comes up? Not that I imagine anything would, but that'd be funny if it did.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I've had people, groups, even pastors manipulate me using the bible, before I finally broke away from church and started to dive into the books myself.. The more I study on my own the more I could separate myself and discover my own conversation with who I believed in as well as start to hold my own against people getting in my face about religion.

The whole burning in hell forever thing for instance. From my understanding is a crock and one of the biggest things that scares the crap out of people to get control over them.. I remember being so scare of that when I was younger.

Then right at the beginning of the books, I found something..

We only ate from the one tree, the tree of knowledge.

In order to burn forever, you would already have to have eternal life.. Because you are not allowed back into paradise unless you are purified, it's a fat chance of it happening.

For that burning forever to happen, we would have to enter paradise, eat from the tree of life, then become eternal, then burn forever.

We would have to have the second part of the formula..Because god can't just go, POOF! you're all set.. it doesn't work like that.

They even have a conversation before Kicking Adam and Eve out of the garden about it,showing that it takes the tree of life to become eternal.

Genesis 3:22

And the LORD God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.”

Just a couple of points, not to try to debate, or change your mind, but for the sake of accuracy.  For simplicity's sake I'm just stating things from the Biblical point of view.   The two trees were the 'Tree of Life', and the 'Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil' (not just knowledge in general, as may be thought if you cut the name short).  The human body can't live forever by itself, that is correct, so humans needed the Tree of Life.  The spirit is eternal, however, and so it could burn forever (whatever burning means for a spirit).  If you take life after death to include living in a resurrected body then that would also be eternal, and capable of its own kind of burning.

I realise we are off-topic but if you make an argument against something it wouldn't be fair not to allow at least one reply. :) 

On-topic - I've never met anyone in SL who tried to make me join a cult that wasn't just in fun.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.