I like the new mini-map

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Parcel lines on the Mini map was a Catznip feature that got pulled from us into firestorm and others years ago.

So seeing as we did not contribute this to @Linden Lab, nor did anyone from LL contact us about the code, I am curious why they didn't come poke us (when this is the entire point of third party viewers and we make a point of showing up to TPV meetings with Linden Staff and have done consistently for years !!)

Especially as ours draws the lines onto the mini map texture so only needs to be done once per region (and highlights parcels that deny entry in red etc), where as LL's code draws the lines every frame.

• Like 7

Just now, Mollymews said:

they are going to accept your code submission ?

They have written their own, it does not appear to use our code (which IMO is better) .. my point was they could have just said "hey we like that, can has" and we would have submitted it (it has to be submitted to transfer ownership or LL risk tainting their internal code with LGPL code which would force them to always and only release the viewer as open source).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

They have written their own, it does not appear to use our code (which IMO is better) .. my point was they could have just said "hey we like that, can has" and we would have submitted it (it has to be submitted to transfer ownership or LL risk tainting their internal code with LGPL code which would force them to always and only release the viewer as open source).

i see it now Maintenance 3 viewer

am a little bit surprised that Linden didn't reach out to you, even if was just to say Hi! we going to gom your idea to put parcel boundary lines on the minimap.  Seems thats all it does, parcel boundary lines. So not as informative as yours.  Better than nothing I suppose tho

In my experience, it is a very mixed bag. When we do contribute things, they often get reframed in the context of the LL Viewer (so where in FS, we like our configurability and options 🙂 , LL will tend to be more plain) so from what we contributed, something derived and altered gets merged in and thus what then comes back down stream to us, has to be merged again. But this is still preferable, to them recreating the code without reference to prior art as by doing this they make our job of integrating even harder as there is no commonality on which to base the merge.

Edited by Beq Janus
minor edits for clarity
  • Like 3

On 6/10/2022 at 1:25 PM, Beq Janus said:

When we do contribute things, they often get reframed in the context of the LL Viewer (so where in FS, we like our configurability and options 🙂 , LL will tend to be more plain) so from what we contributed, something derived and altered gets merged in and thus what then comes back down stream to us, has to be merged again.

The ”not made at home” syndrome which always stroke LL... They hardly ever accept a contribution ”as is”, even a better coded and more performant one as their own. 🙄

For the mini-map, I would cite the better (way faster) algorithm for drawing parcel boundaries, for example... Instead of reusing what has existed for years in some TPVs (IIRC, this was first seen in Catznip) with a fast image overlay recalculated only every few frames, LL implemented them using a slow algorithm redrawing every single border segment with GL lines at each frame !... Just laaaaaaaame !

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 1

Not to forget any contribution can sit an arbitrary amount of time till it's out of date.

*coughs coughs* Linux that sat there for so many month (or was it years?) that it finally got into the bit ether when hg -> git happened and Bitbucket did remove all mercurial repositories. I suppose then Oz could finally claim once again "We never get or got anything for Linux" :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 689 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.