Calling Cards not being given when friending.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Realized in the last couple of days, when I friend someone new, calling cards are not exchanged. I dont have their calling card in my inventory and neither they have mine.

It has been like that for a few days since and I am wondering if it's a bug or a "new feature"?

Could not find any info about it anywhere.

Anyone knows anything about this?

Cheers

• Like 2

This might be a bug after fixing the friend request bug.  You should probably file a jira.

Monday, May 16, 2022

Release Notes

Restored the ability to accept and decline offline friendship and group membership offers. As part of this work, the following capabilities have been significantly re-implemented:

ReadOfflineMsgs

AcceptFriendship

DeclineFriendship

AcceptGroupInvite2022-05-06.571613

DeclineGroupInvite

Third-party viewer and open source developers should verify the functionality of friendship and group membership offers generally. And there are small documentation updates on the Wiki: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Current_Sim_Capabilities

Server-side generation of Calling Cards when a friendship offer is accepted has been removed. This feature moved to the viewer several years ago and now accepting friendship offers creates, at most, two Calling Cards, one for each party.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Server-side generation of Calling Cards when a friendship offer is accepted has been removed. This feature moved to the viewer several years ago and now accepting friendship offers creates, at most, two Calling Cards, one for each party.

Which prompted a change in how my viewer (the Cool VL Viewer, a v1 viewer that did not have v2+ viewers auto-creation of calling cards on login) handles calling cards. Quoting the release notes:

Added a new ”Resync friends calling cards” entry to the inventory ”File” menu: this is meant to re-create any missing calling cards for residents listed in your friends list. This operation is always executed on each login in other viewers based on LL's v2+ code (but I hate being forced things down my throat), and with LL's recent changes to sim servers (that now do not any more give calling cards to each resident forming a friendship), this feature became necessary (but you still got a choice whether creating calling cards or not and may delete the ones you do not need). The calling cards created by the viewer (i.e. marked as created by you) are also now considered the same way as the ones given by another resident (i.e. marked as created by them) with regard to online status displaying and for starting IM sessions or performing other actions from the inventory context menu (all these were previously reserved to calling cards given to you, including the ones auto-created when the friendship was formed).

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are Calling Cards actually useful anymore?

They do serve a useful purpose when you want to help somebody get in touch with you without the friending issues of then extra messages saying they are online or offline.

Somebody with a long and awkward to type name might find it easier to drop a calling card to another person.

Just sayin' ... :)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok, given your responses I will restate my question: "If you are friends with someone, does a calling card have any benefit?"

I asked my friends this, because I couldn't think of one.

Apparently some of them use it to keep track of when they friended somebody, they check the acquired date on the calling card, and it tells them, You friended this person on 2019/01/25 or so. As that's about the only way they'd end up with the calling card.

Edited by WolfGang Senizen
grammar
  • Like 1

I needed a calling card to find an old friend who bought a new name. No calling card, they wouldn't have been reachable. I had pruned my friends list when I left for a while.

So if I understand the new system , no calling card when you friend means when a surprise name pops on your friends list you have no way to figure out who they are[were] and with new names 15 bucks with PP, people will just disappear.

Who wins - people can keep their inventory , who loses - long time friendships. Memories. I'm alone in the moonlight .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Calling cards for your friends are re-created when missing:

1. At each login with v3+ viewers (IIRC, that auto-recreation feature appeared somewhere in v2.x viewers: not sure which minor ”x” number exactly), meaning that for these viewers, the calling card for a new friend will now only appear after your relog once having befriended them.
  2. On demand (via the Inventory floater ”File” menu, ”Resync friends calling cards” entry) in recent Cool VL Viewer releases (the Cool VL Viewer *never* modifies your inventory all by itself, and would always notice you when it does it implicitly as a result of an event, such as during rebakes for the COF: a status bar icons appear at this time when the COF gets modified).

However such calling cards would be considered as ”lesser” ones (with less options available from them via their context menu in the inventory of old v1 viewers), since instead of bearing the UUID of your friend as their creator (which was the case for calling cards given by the sim server to newly befriended residents) like a ”genuine” calling card (that you still can manually give to other residents via the avatar/name tag context (pie) menu), they bear it in their description instead and are marked as being created by you (i.e. with your avatar UUID as their creator).

Regardless, your friend should still appear in your friends list even after they have changed their name (the UUID never changes, and the friends list is based on UUIDs).

If you still have an old calling card (”genuine” or ”lesser” alike) for one of your renamed contacts (i.e. residents in your friends list or not), double-clicking on it should still automatically open their profile (with, of course, their new name in it).

If you don't have the an old calling card (or UUID) for your contact, well... there are ways around it to find their new name, but I won't post this publicly since this would give stalkers an easy way to resume their harassment.

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

• 3 weeks later...

Have the same issue. I use Firestorm. I put a ticket in and was told to download the newest official SL viewer and log in with that. All my friends calling cards appeared in there. But only people that are on my friends list. Used to always keep calling cards for people you had unfriended too, but these weren't there. Went back to firestorm, logged in and the calling cards were there. Added a new friend, didn't appear. Guess until they fix it you just have to keep logging into the original viewer to get them. 

On 6/5/2022 at 6:37 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Ok, given your responses I will restate my question: "If you are friends with someone, does a calling card have any benefit?"

Yes. You can give a calling card to someone else who might want to contact that person. For instance, a friend was interested in flying in SL, so I gave him the calling card of someone who is a pilot with a small RP airline. He has regular flights around the grid, and if one joins his group they can get regular notifications for them.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 8:43 AM, WolfGang Senizen said:

I asked my friends this, because I couldn't think of one.

Apparently some of them use it to keep track of when they friended somebody, they check the acquired date on the calling card, and it tells them, You friended this person on 2019/01/25 or so. As that's about the only way they'd end up with the calling card.

The number of cards you have from someone also lets you know how often and when you've/ they've been unfriended and refriended.

Note, keep the oldest notecard to see how long you've actually been friended with them.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 793 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.