whats with the lag? I know redundant question I am more than equipped to handle this whats wrong?!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone^^ Even with my graphics turn down to med low I can barley walk around in sl ! I updated my driver too. Using fire storm with 4 sticks of ram on a 2070 nivida gc that has ray tracing and vr capable. So what gives? 1t of space too. I dont have this issue with vr chat?! lets face it vr chat is filled with kids amongst other behaviors im not going to mention.

Is there some kind of new setting in Sl I amnot aware of.. I rarely come on these ays dur to career. It is nice once in a while^^

Could someone refresh this old fossils brains? 2007 elder here.

Thank you^^

4 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

ok thank you . iguess its time to upgrade again : (  with sl being such a ghost town these days hard to imagine

biggest thing to remember with SL,  a good gpu only comes so far, SL is going to require more cpu power than gpu power.    so make sure not to skimp in that area either. 

• Like 1

A quick guess tells me that a 2070 ought to do ok on the graphics side, but what cpu is driving it? SL still remains largely single-threaded so the cpu is paramount!

And... LL have a "Performance" viewer in Beta, available for download. It's worth a try. Firestorm has a lot of performance improvements, too, but the full benefits can't be added until LL make their Performance viewer code generally available to the Third Party developers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

Hello everyone^^ Even with my graphics turn down to med low I can barley walk around in sl ! I updated my driver too. Using fire storm with 4 sticks of ram on a 2070 nivida gc that has ray tracing and vr capable. So what gives? 1t of space too. I dont have this issue with vr chat?! lets face it vr chat is filled with kids amongst other behaviors im not going to mention.

Is there some kind of new setting in Sl I amnot aware of.. I rarely come on these ays dur to career. It is nice once in a while^^

Thank you^^

Copy and paste the spec your viewer sees about your system from Help > About [Viewer name] onto a post on this thread - it could be that your viewer is stuck using an integrated GPU for whatever reason, and will also answer any questions about what hardware you're running.

Hello Jenna,

Im posting this screenie with my system info. Not sure what you mean by going to my viewer and seeing the specs? Do I log in to sl and go to help across the top? I am using the 64 bit firestorm. Yes when I gutted out this rog strix gamer computer I got a new cpu and graphics card with enough power and am in talks with redoing all of it again. The tech guy thinks my graphics card should be just fine. I am having some Hard drive issues.. ofc other programs say my HD is still in the green zone so I dunno.. If I can go into firestorm and check, id like to now how do I do that exactly? Thank you! I admire your smarts!! 

image.thumb.png.12ef6a111c84657d178001a3b66d4abd.png

Firestorm 6.5.3 (65658) Mar  1 2022 10:01:35 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 134.3, 169.9, 1,502.4 in Blueberry Media located at simhost-09fc27dbfee95e841.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blueberry Media/134/170/1502
(global coordinates 189,318.0, 322,730.0, 1,502.4)
Second Life Server 2022-05-06.571613
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (3192 MHz)
Memory: 32690 MB
Concurrency: 12
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19044.1645)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 8192 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 30.0.15.1295
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 512.95

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.05
Dullahan: 1.12.3.202111032221
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1350 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: Dynamic (512 MB min / 10% Cache / 10% VRAM)
Disk cache: Max size 2048.0 MB (100.6% used)
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 0/3,876 (0.0%)
May 28 2022 13:52:48 SLT

15 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

ok thank you . iguess its time to upgrade again : (  with sl being such a ghost town these days hard to imagine

Your PC specs are just fine and should allow viewers (even slow ones) to run at 50+ fps.

Check that there is not another program using the CPU and/or GPU in the background (mining malware for example)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

maybe it was ms word or something

I dropped everything still major lag

Check with the task manager for background tasks that would eat up your CPU and/or GPU: right click on the task bar, choose ”Task manager” (or whatever it is called in English or in your language), then ”more details” in it (if not already in detailed view). You will get something that will look like this (in French, here, sorry):TaskManager.thumb.png.60de96ac31e93f2bbd13383748201466.png

Sorting by clicking on the column title for the CPU or GPU will allow you to see the top consumers; here, there is just the SL viewer running and consuming lot's of CPU and GPU, and this is what you ideally should see as well.

You may also use the ”Performance” tab in the task manager, that will tell you how much of your CPU, GPU, memory, etc is consumed in total (it will also allow to check the actual frequency of your CPU, in case it would fail to go in turbo mode due to a bad configuration or overheating, for example)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

13 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

I am having some Hard drive issues.. ofc other programs say my HD is still in the green zone so I dunno..

If you only have a mechanical hard drive get a SSD and put at least your SL cache on it. I had frequent stalls with a reasonably powerful computer and they were fixed when I switched to a SSD. The latest cache system seems to make everything lock up when it's doing certain activities, especially if you have an aggressive anti-virus program, and your cache is completely full now.

• Like 1

I see nothing in that machine spec to suggest a problem. So far, though, there's no clue about what kind of "lag" is the issue. (Like: rubber-banding? slow updates to camera movement?  slow script response? what specifically makes it seem to "lag"?)

Sticking with the prevailing theory that it's viewer-side (it almost always is; sim performance is pretty robust these days), I'd suggest grabbing a screen shot of the statistics window while the "lag" is happening, a la:

image.thumb.png.d8cf73b22fd47d575aab1fa8453e78a3.png

with that "Advanced" section expanded out for now. Easiest way to open that Statistics window is Control-Shift-1. For this kinda stuff I usually snap a screenshot with WindowsKey-Shift-S and drag a box around the part of the screen I want. To get started, though, just a readout of a few items above the Advanced section would help: FPS, Packet Loss, and Ping Sim.

(All this would be backing up a step or two from the malware hypothesis, which indeed would be good to rule out. I'm just feeling the need for "vital signs" lest we try to diagnose when "lethargic" is all we have for symptoms.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

Firestorm 6.5.3 (65658) Mar  1 2022 10:01:35 (64bit / SSE2) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes

You are at 134.3, 169.9, 1,502.4 in Blueberry Media located at simhost-09fc27dbfee95e841.agni
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blueberry Media/134/170/1502
(global coordinates 189,318.0, 322,730.0, 1,502.4)
Second Life Server 2022-05-06.571613
Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz (3192 MHz)
Memory: 32690 MB
Concurrency: 12
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 19044.1645)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070/PCIe/SSE2
Graphics Card Memory: 8192 MB

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 30.0.15.1295
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 512.95

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.54.1 OpenSSL/1.1.1l zlib/1.2.11 nghttp2/1.40.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v8.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Studio 2.02.05
Dullahan: 1.12.3.202111032221
  CEF: 91.1.21+g9dd45fe+chromium-91.0.4472.114
  Chromium: 91.0.4472.114
LibVLC Version: 3.0.16
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.10.0000.32327

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Window size: 1920x1017 px
Font Used: Deja Vu (96 dpi)
Font Size Adjustment: 0 pt
UI Scaling: 1
Draw distance: 128 m
Bandwidth: 1350 kbit/s
LOD factor: 2
Render quality: Medium-High (4/7)
Advanced Lighting Model: No
Texture memory: Dynamic (512 MB min / 10% Cache / 10% VRAM)
Disk cache: Max size 2048.0 MB (100.6% used)
Built with MSVC version 1916
Packets Lost: 0/3,876 (0.0%)
May 28 2022 13:52:48 SLT

Your spec would suggest that your computer is more than capable of running SL just fine with ALM enabled - as others have said, check to make sure that there's nothing absorbing resources in the background.

Another thing to clarify.. is to define the 'lag' you speak of - 'lag' is often a bad term as it's a catch-all, covering poor FPS, bad networking (rubber banding, assets not loading, etc) or even serverside performance issues (scripts slow to execute, physics performing poorly, etc).

• Like 1

On 5/28/2022 at 1:31 AM, Aluviel Nakamura said:

Thank you^^

Although experiences may vary, from my observations with the various scene and diagnostic tools available, it is the loading of GBs of textures in a sim. Some of them don't even need to have people in them to bog me down. I don't have the strongest internet connection right now being on shared, but this has ALWAYS been the case even with superspeed dedicated line.

Walking around just brings more texture loading into view and the console will reveal a sudden influx of textures that match the lag and low fps.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Haha 1

That computer should be more than capable of running SL. Often when I hear/read people complaining about lag, it soon comes to light they're running SL on a non-gaming spec computer with sub-optimal settings. This is not the case here.

Others have pretty much got it covered here on what to check but it's important to narrow down what kind of lag you have, e.g. server side (unlikely), network or hardware. The suggestions above will help you identify this but in Firestorm there's also a basic lag meter you can access by clicking at the top-right. 

It may also be worth trying a different viewer such as Alchemy as a test to see if it performs better. Personally I found it to perform much better as it makes better use of the GPU but sadly it's somewhat lacking on the feature front, so I went back to Firestorm instead. May be worth a try though. 

Also and unrelated to the above suggestion - How good is your internet connection? SL isn't too taxing on modern internet connections these days and providing you have at least 5Mbps on the downstream, you should be fine assuming it's consistent & reliable. That said, if you have a dodgy WiFI connection susceptible to interference and/or drop-outs then this too will cause problems with SL given that everything is streamed to your client/viewer. To rule this out, you can try connecting to your router via ethernet if you haven't already done so. (though again, really need to narrow it down to determine if we're dealing with network related lag)

Edited by Exavor Diesel
  • Like 1

Im sorry! 

Since im so old in sl, what happens is that textures refuse to load or take forever.. then I start freezing, cant walk etc or my clothes dont load. Thing that other can see disappear for me. I have to start cutting back, taking shadows off etc. Thats why its so strange.. I know I have a good pc that should handle anything sl throws at me with ease. I went to a concert in 2021 and I couldnt even move. The band never rezzed and I even if I wanted to I could escape let alone shut Sl down. It froze up my whole computer and I went beyond crashing to desktop. I have to completely reboot. 

I know its Way way too soon for that! Last night I was trying to color a certian body part to match my skin and now scripts are acting up and giving me messages which is annoying as heck! 

image.thumb.png.dbec4502199a9a7bb02f23a06d153583.pngimage.thumb.png.7bd4ab25a9a05188ffdc4d962308ba8a.png

2 hours ago, Aluviel Nakamura said:

Im sorry! 

Since im so old in sl, what happens is that textures refuse to load or take forever.. then I start freezing, cant walk etc or my clothes dont load. Thing that other can see disappear for me. I have to start cutting back, taking shadows off etc. Thats why its so strange.. I know I have a good pc that should handle anything sl throws at me with ease. I went to a concert in 2021 and I couldnt even move. The band never rezzed and I even if I wanted to I could escape let alone shut Sl down. It froze up my whole computer and I went beyond crashing to desktop. I have to completely reboot. 

This is interesting. Well, not the texture-loading thing so much, that takes forever for me, too, but something is horribly wrong that you're experiencing all these ill effects while the statistics (as far as I can see anyway) look perfectly fine, plenty FPS, should be a happy experience.

Somebody with more applicable experience should help more, but in the meantime, just a hunch: Control-O to open the Appearance window (really "outfits"), go to the "Wearing" tab, and look at the column on the right for anything with a number over, say, 10,000, and try removing it and see if the situation improves. This is probably just a stopgap at best, but I'm somehow getting a sense that you're wearing something that's using more resources than it should (although, again, your statistics look to be rendering everything just fine, so this isn't terribly rational).

Those script errors look like a misconfigured Animation Overrider, by the way.

In light of the problems after textures load, I am a little concerned about the disk situation (mostly because everything else looks so good), as if cache access is triggering some hardware faults. (Dunno how to check Windows error logging for that sort of thing, but there must be a way.)

• Like 1

SSD/HHD or controller failure or a kinked or smashed drive cable, a "router" that runs out of resources to track flows, a "security" software that is being stupid, an Internet access provider that puts a layer of address translation in the path and over-subscribes it, some router in the path "policing" UDP traffic....  I have seen all of these cause "slow or failing texture loading" and sometimes even viewer crashes.

But, since you mentioned having to reboot the computer, I would look at the items above that are INSIDE the computer case first, starting with the common advice of ensuring your security software is not trying to analyze SL assets and cache, as that can exacerbate any I/O issues you may otherwise be having, but is not likely to cause operating system crashes if it's the only problem.

• Like 3

Qie-san I bet your right.. Probably an usess hud I forgot was on my big screen or hud. All these dang mesh bodies, heads animations overriders n crap.....SL always does this.. Sooner or later I have to get a new system. Last year when I went to the Baby Metal concert I was frozen...........didnt go back to sl for a year thinking maybe that ws just a fluke.. after the driver update thing were 50% better.. Im still experiencing strange stuff and persistent lag. TY for the ips. Id love to friend you in world. you have nee so patient and helpful 

Aluviel Nakamura

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

SSD/HHD or controller failure or a kinked or smashed drive cable, a "router" that runs out of resources to track flows, a "security" software that is being stupid, an Internet access provider that puts a layer of address translation in the path and over-subscribes it, some router in the path "policing" UDP traffic....  I have seen all of these cause "slow or failing texture loading" and sometimes even viewer crashes.

But, since you mentioned having to reboot the computer, I would look at the items above that are INSIDE the computer case first, starting with the common advice of ensuring your security software is not trying to analyze SL assets and cache, as that can exacerbate any I/O issues you may otherwise be having, but is not likely to cause operating system crashes if it's the only problem.

Hi Ardy... That sound realy complicated.. I will se about trying to white list SL on my security software^^ TY

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.