What is the purpose of life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

The purpose of life is simply to pass on our DNA to the next generation, then die to make room for subsequent generations.

I mean yeah if we were creatures of baser instinct. But we are creatures of base emotions, so there is more to life than just that. I mean to reproduce die and make room for subsequent generations is kinda boring. 

On 5/21/2022 at 2:54 PM, THEHERO Snowfall said:

Today, as I sat at my desk, I contemplate life and one of its biggest question. What is the purpose of life and why were we born. Why live if we know it is only going to end one day,by some form of death.

Some examples on why I believe we live

A. We only live to work so we may make money then inevitably die.
B.We are living to learn all we can only to die and take that knowledge with us.
C.We are merely living for our family, whether our biological family or those we choose as our family, then we die.
D. We live only to struggle our whole life then die. 

I want to know why, I am unable to truly define the meaning. Our creator, whatever god you choose to believe in, does not give us the answer to this question. Why would he not tell us why he made our life seemingly so short and limited. It seems maybe someone is toying with our lives, with us.

Do you perhaps know an answer? I would love to hear your opinions on this question.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

become richer and have legacy., and keep healthy live long eat well.its simple.

God has nothing to do with your life, your life is a product  of the universe cycling

there are 3 Lucky star in oriental culture that symbolize the purpose of life.

prosperity, legacy and health.

your kids are considere your legacy, but without passing prosperity it means you are failed, and if you cant mlhave a good health to keep this happen, this considered tou are fail.

sometime fail cause by fate, so you should accept it. since soul are immortal , you will have another changes in the next life.

God created the laws of the universe and you live according to His laws

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Skipping past everyone else's opinions, I'm gonna say the purpose of Life is survival. The individual wants to survive (generally). The family group and species does things to survive (generally). I'm not just talking about just humans, but all animals, plants, single-celled organisms and even viruses. If their genes don't survive and reproduce, then they failed to maintain Life.

As humans we've evolved minds that allow us to contemplate a meaning or purpose for our lives, but whatever meaning or purpose we ascribe to it is subjective and largely personal. It's great if you can believe your individual life has some higher purpose, but as a species those beliefs are generally secondary to biological functions such as food, water, shelter, defense from predators and reproduction.

Suicidal thoughts and behaviors are counter-productive to the survival of a species, but then so are behaviors that hurt many others in our species. Some species have evolved societies that help the genes of the family or hive to reproduce over those of individual members, which is also a good survival tactic for their species. We don't all have to reproduce to keep humanity alive. In fact, over-population can cause catastrophic loses in populations that are horrible for their individuals as well as for their species.

Spiritually I believe in reincarnation, so on this level the purpose of life would be to experience it in all it's forms, to learn and understand Life and humanity. The purpose of Life in this sense would be enlightenment, to understand the beauty of Creation, of this vast Universe of which we are each a part.

raises cup, cheers to survival.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Just an hour later:

"Nabikov" is Vladimir Nabokov, right? Author of Pale Fire, the famous, spectacularly intricate novel in the form of editorial footnotes to a poem?

(Perhaps the "purpose" of life is just the same as the "meaning" of coincidence.)

Terrible with spelling, yes, him. Famous, of course, for Lolita, and a profoundly gifted writer.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Just an hour later:

"Nabikov" is Vladimir Nabokov, right? Author of Pale Fire, the famous, spectacularly intricate novel in the form of editorial footnotes to a poem?

(Perhaps the "purpose" of life is just the same as the "meaning" of coincidence.)

I am the shadow of the waxwing slain

by the false azure in the windowpane..

etc.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.